Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 02:25 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,269,733 times

Advertisements

The question came up about where I got rubberized fabric to put outside the litter box for my old cat that kept missing the box. I looked around, as it had been a few years since I bought it. It actually isn't rubberized, but it really works great. I bought it on eBay, but the factory has its own website:

ProSoft Cotton Loop Terry Waterproof 1 mil PUL - Cotton PUL - Waterproof PUL Fabrics - Fabrics

You can get it in white or black. It is 60" wide, so I bought 2-1 yard pieces (white) and had a spare. The great thing about the fabric is that you can toss it in the washer and dryer and it comes out great!

I placed it terry side up outside the box, and my girl obligingly peed on it. The terry is pretty absorbent, but it's a pretty low-pile terry, not like a bath towel. The waterproof backing saved my hardwood floors!

Hope that helps someone. This fabric has been so helpful with my geriatric cats. I even put it on my couch at one time, again because of an elderly cat.

The things we do for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 07:46 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,933,516 times
It was me who asked the question--and thank you for the information! I had no idea there was such a fabric, and I can see many uses for this (such as inside of a carrier for those animals who eliminate while traveling).

Old 10-05-2016, 09:24 AM

I wanted to add that Amazon has this fabric (same manufacturer, ships from them) for less. Just bought two yards to try. Thanks, OP!

Old 10-05-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I wanted to add that Amazon has this fabric (same manufacturer, ships from them) for less. Just bought two yards to try. Thanks, OP!
Cool.

Had to laugh about what you said about cats eliminating in the carrier (great use for this fabric, BTW). I had a cat who was terrified of the vet, especially after he had PU surgery. I was taking him for a check-up one day and I could hear him barfing in the carrier as we drove. Great, I thought. Then (sniff, sniff) oh, no! He pooped himself. By the time we got to the vet, you guessed it. He had peed on himself. Poor thing! I told him he could think of it as a trifecta or a hat trick. The vet tech told me he wasn't the first pet to do that. Thank goodness they were cool about it and got him cleaned-up before my vet saw him.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
That is very good to know!

Old 10-05-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Cool.

Had to laugh about what you said about cats eliminating in the carrier (great use for this fabric, BTW). I had a cat who was terrified of the vet, especially after he had PU surgery. I was taking him for a check-up one day and I could hear him barfing in the carrier as we drove. Great, I thought. Then (sniff, sniff) oh, no! He pooped himself. By the time we got to the vet, you guessed it. He had peed on himself. Poor thing! I told him he could think of it as a trifecta or a hat trick. The vet tech told me he wasn't the first pet to do that. Thank goodness they were cool about it and got him cleaned-up before my vet saw him.
The poor guy! I've only had one incident of peeing in a carrier, but that's all it takes.

We have a covered litter box (which I hate, but our oldest cat prefers, sigh). Our oldest backs into it and pees. Pee often gets *between* the two pieces of the box. I use two puppy pads, but this fabric would be far less expensive in the long run.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:11 AM

Thought I would follow up. I ordered two yards of this fabric to try.

I bought some cotton cloth napkins at a thrift store and sewed this fabric onto the back. I've been using it in front of our litter boxes. It's working great! They wash up nicely.

I put a couple of photos into a Snapfish album for you to see. I could not figure out how to get the URL for the photo, so here is the link to the album of those photos: https://www.snapfish.com/library/sha...91070/SNAPFISH

Old 11-02-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Thought I would follow up. I ordered two yards of this fabric to try.

I bought some cotton cloth napkins at a thrift store and sewed this fabric onto the back. I've been using it in front of our litter boxes. It's working great! They wash up nicely.

I put a couple of photos into a Snapfish album for you to see. I could not figure out how to get the URL for the photo, so here is the link to the album of those photos: https://www.snapfish.com/library/sha...91070/SNAPFISH
Brilliant to sew the fabric on it! It looks great. Glad it is working out for you. I may have to start using my waterproof fabric again on a regular basis. One of our old girls (17 years) has been "missing" the litter box once in a while. Now she seems to think that as long as she gets within the aura of the litter box, everything is cool. LOL Sometimes it gets in the box; sometimes it doesn't. Nice to know I have an option once she starts "missing" more regularly.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:32 AM

Just wanted to revive this thread, as my old girl is missing the litter box a couple times a week now. We have hardwood floors, and I can't have her peeing on the floor. Of course she sometimes pees right at the very edge of the fabric! So I bought a couple pieces of the 21" wide stuff to give a better margin of coverage. This fabric holds up really well. I wash and dry it with no problem. I keep a clean piece always at the ready, so I can slip it into place when I have to pull up the wet stuff. Other than that, she seems healthy, has a good appetite, poops in the appropriate spot, etc.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:01 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,617,927 times
Very helpful info!

My issue is with the ferals who I'm transitioning to be inside cats. They're TRYING to get the concept of using a litter box. I appreciate the fact that they're at least going near them. My solution has been to use flat aluminum cookie sheets with a thin layer of litter on them back to back in a few areas, which has mostly solved the problem - but this washable fabric you recommend can only improve the situation.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats