Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 08:32 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanThomas View Post
It's pretty harsh to declaw. They pretty much rip the whole nail out. I know your kitty is getting bigger by now but there are other ways to deal with that. One is a spray bottle, double sided tape(they hate that) Keeping your cat in the bathroom when you are not home. Clipping the nails and trying to keep them trimed. Scratching posts. I had 4 cats and none of them attached the furniture. The garage is okay if it's kept warm enough at night.
Good luck with that.

The picture I have in my head of any one of my three cats experiencing double sided tape just cracks me up . Thanks for the chuckle.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:35 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,734,914 times
My boyfriend and I are soon to move in together, he has 2 cats that we were going to get declawed for 2 reasons: we will be renting, and they tend to ruin everything; and, I have a dog and value the health of both of his eyes. Now after reading this, I don't want to get them declawed because it sounds as though it's so inhumane. What to do??? I need the peace of mind that they won't scratch the sh*t out of my dog's eyes. Also, I don't want our apartment together to get all crapped up the way his current place is. Are we doomed?

Old 12-17-2007, 02:10 PM

324 posts, read 1,285,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
My boyfriend and I are soon to move in together, he has 2 cats that we were going to get declawed for 2 reasons: we will be renting, and they tend to ruin everything; and, I have a dog and value the health of both of his eyes. Now after reading this, I don't want to get them declawed because it sounds as though it's so inhumane. What to do??? I need the peace of mind that they won't scratch the sh*t out of my dog's eyes. Also, I don't want our apartment together to get all crapped up the way his current place is. Are we doomed?
hollygolightly - check out the nail caps (Soft Paws) that have been suggested. You can have the vet show you how to apply them if you are uncomfortable doing it yourself (you just put a little cat safe glue inside the cap and stick it over the claw). In your situation its only necessary to do the front paws. It will take time for them to become accustomed to them and they will likely pull/bite them off. But if you keep it up and reapply them they will eventually get used to them. This is the humane alternative to declawing.

Also provide plenty of scratching areas where it is ok to scratch if you don't use the nail caps. Its only natural for them. Corrugated cardboard is the cheapest and oft used if you can't do a full size sisal covered tree/post.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:30 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
When you introduce the cats and dogs, it will probably be a very gradual thing anyway (keep the dogs leashed, use baby gates, etc.). So unless you allow the dogs to corner the cats upon meeting each other, I don't think you'll need to worry about their eyes getting scratched.

Keep the introductions gradual - baby steps - and they'll soon recognize each other as new members of the family. If you're lucky, they won't only tolerate each other, but someday may genuinely like each other.

3 dogs, 1 cranky Siamese, everyone had retained their body parts!

Old 12-18-2007, 09:18 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
I feel declawing should only be a last resort- and should truly be avoided at all costs. It is very painful to the animal and can cause long lasting psychological affects, that are very negative.

I have a 5 year old cat I got at the Connecticut humane society 2 years ago. She is not declawed- and part of the contract with the society is never have the animal mutilated like this.

Buy the cat a long scratching post- sprinkle with catnip- believe me most cats will love this-mine does and uses her post most of the time.

For furniture- on occasion she will be naughty and scratch- but I bought a nice slip cover for the sofa- and covered a chair- she does not bother now.

I have an old oriental runner carpet made of wool in the hallway- and she will scratch that-but causes no harm to the article. Do not declaw! There are many other options. Speak to your vet or your local humane society.
Do not declaw! Our cat did the same thing. We covered a board 18" x 24" and covered it with an oriental carpet runner too!!! When your cat claws the furniture simply spray her with a fine mist of water...it really works! Our cat, after a week "in training" no longer claws the furniture or the drapes or the box spring and mattress. I have heard a gazillion times how cats can't be trained...oh yeah??

PS I agree with this post 100%...just had to add my two cents in

Old 12-18-2007, 07:56 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,494,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
We got a cat a few weeks ago. It is a baby cat and we love it but it is climbing everything in the house including the drapes and it scratches the furniture. I want to declaw it but the wife says the cat won't like that. The cat does not really need claws as it will be an indoor only cat. What would you do? Right now we are keeping it in the garage at night to keep it from destryong the furniture.
We had are cat declawed about a year ago. If you want to keep the cat and not put it down and save your house it's the only way to go. And who really cares if the cat likes it or not. the furniture and drapes are worth more than a cat. and what fun is a pet if you have to put up with that and keep it locked in the garage.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:14 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
"And who really cares if the cat likes it or not. the furniture and drapes are worth more than a cat."

Spoken like a true animal lover...

Old 12-19-2007, 01:34 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
About 3 years ago, my mother and I adopted a gorgeous white cat with the most enchanting eyes (from the SPCA). She was already declawed.

About 1 1/2 years after that, we rescued a kitten from death (literally) and brought him into our home. He had to be bottle fed because he was so young.

Problem was, the two would play fight constantly. Our white cat would hit the kitten with X amount of force - he would hit back with same amount of force.. with claws.

After she received a gash, we decided that he needed to be declawed so he wouldn't hurt her. At 6 months of age, he underwent a double surgery. Neuter and De-claw.

To this day, he does not realize he is without claws. I think I made the right choice.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:07 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,494,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
About 3 years ago, my mother and I adopted a gorgeous white cat with the most enchanting eyes (from the SPCA). She was already declawed.

About 1 1/2 years after that, we rescued a kitten from death (literally) and brought him into our home. He had to be bottle fed because he was so young.

Problem was, the two would play fight constantly. Our white cat would hit the kitten with X amount of force - he would hit back with same amount of force.. with claws.

After she received a gash, we decided that he needed to be declawed so he wouldn't hurt her. At 6 months of age, he underwent a double surgery. Neuter and De-claw.

To this day, he does not realize he is without claws. I think I made the right choice.
Yes you made the right choice.
Some people want to make a big deal about a cat being declawed. sure may be painful, But it's painful for me to see my home riped up. But some people have their little fit with declawed cats, But have no problem with neuter that I am sure is also painful. But both need to be done.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:47 PM

836 posts, read 3,381,427 times
Default claws on cats yikes

All four of my cats are declawed and fixed (procedure done at the same time) and they have never had any issues..
The only reason we had 3 of them declawed was because they was scratching up the furniture stereo speakers and anything they could claw on. (the fourth a Himalayan was declawed when we got her) I tried everything from spraying them with water to swating them with a flyswater.. lol and nothing worked. It got so bad they had to be locked in the bathroom when we would leave the house. Since we had their claws removed we have no more problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats