U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 07:54 PM

501 posts, read 985,844 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I have two cats. The first one was a rescue who used to be ferrel. He is a male, about 2 years old. My second cat is also a male, about 6 years old, and was dumped at the ASPCA after his elderly owner died of cancer. When I introduced them last year, they had the normal bumps of introducing two male cats, but they grew accustomed to each other pretty quickly.

We moved into a 4 bedroom house from a 1 bedroom apartment. They had a spraying match and everything calmed down. Then I got married to a woman with two kids from a previous marriage, and the kids terrorized the cats. The younger cat who was ferrel hid for the majority of the time. The older, more social cat would abide them for a while, and then run away when he was at the end of his rope. Long story short, we are getting divorced after a very short time, and they have moved out.

Now, all of a sudden, the younger cat is terrorizing the older one. They tear back and forth upstairs, the younger one is batting the older cat, pouncing on him whenever the opportunity presents itself. What is causing this new found aggression? Is it terretorial since the younger one can now roam around?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 08:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 102,899,095 times
It sounds territorial. That younger cat probably felt cut off from resources while it had to hide from the children. Now it's taking that out on the older cat to ensure access to resources by cutting the older cat off from resources. It's illogical to humans now that it has free access to resources, but it makes sense in the younger cat's mind. Make sure both cats have constant access to their food and water and litter boxes. Don't let that younger cat keep the older one from eating, etc.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:33 PM

9,120 posts, read 7,988,927 times
Sounds like you may have to 'reintroduce' them to each other. They are probably a bit traumatized with the move and the children chasing them, etc. If possible give each one a room where they feel safe, and later on do a site swap to get them used to each others' scent. Start a feeding ritual where they are separate, and gradually moved them closer together till they are eating together with no issues. Have regular play sessions to tire them out. It would also help if they have high up places they can get to when they need to feel secure.
Others here may have more specific advice. Hope this helps.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:42 PM

501 posts, read 985,844 times
I have put out an extra litter box (I used to only have one). They also used to eat out of the same bowl. I am going to give them separate bowls now. It was never an issue before but I want to do whatever it takes to have them get along now.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:47 AM

9,152 posts, read 16,731,390 times
Add two litter boxes, so you have three in total.

Feed a high quality grain free low carb canned diet. The fewer chemicals and carbohydrates the better. Diet plays a very large role in behavior in cats. Cats hopped up on carbs and dehydrated from dry food do not feel their best and will act more ornery than they might, if fed an appropriate diet.

Install feliway plug in diffusers.

Make sure you have plenty of elevated space for both cats.

Make sure they each get enough attention, and a lot of interactive play time, especially the 2 year old, but they both need you to play with them.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:44 AM

114 posts, read 173,124 times
Good subjestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats