Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 08:11 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,246,455 times

Advertisements

Charlie is still refusing wet food (tried several different brands and styles but she won't touch them at all) but she tried to eat my stew (which looks exactly like the last wet food I tried to give her ) so just wondering, is it possible that she would eat her wet food if its warmed up? Or if that still doesn't work can I cook her some food so she's not just eating dry food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 08:18 AM

334 posts, read 585,116 times
Many pets do prefer slightly warmed food.

Can you make her a separate, non-spiced portion of your stew?

We cook chicken for our pets (pressure-cooked so it is tender), buy rotisserie chicken for them, buy plain hamburgers and crumble them up, etc. so that they do not eat only dry foods. However, I have had two cats live to 21 years of age, and those two were the ones who refused any wet food whatsoever. They ate only dry.

Our dogs that lived to 16 (old for a giant breed) also favored the kibble.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:48 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,922,116 times
Yes, try slightly warming the food. Warming it releases more smell, which might make it more attractive to him.

If he is interested in your food, have you considered trying a raw diet on him? You can buy many commercially prepared diets that are nutritionally complete. Cats have specific dietary needs and can't just eat people food. If you'd like to prepare meals yourself, you'll need to find a balanced recipe. Catsmom is more educated about raw diets (I'm just learning) and can help you with that.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:15 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Keep trying with the canned foods. Yes warming may help, as will dusting something tasty on top. Crush the kibble into a fine powder and sprinkle it over the top. Kibble is addictive so sometimes it can be a tough job (but never impossible) to transition the kitty.

Most people have better luck with pate styles such as fancy feast classics. The classics, only. They are grain free and low carb. Add a little warm water if you think she would prefer gravy.

Some find that, as long as there is kibble in the house the cat will hold out for it. In that case one has to simply remove all kibble from the house. (of course never starve a cat in an effort to change the diet, this will not work and could kill her) Use other incentives. Forti Flora (not such a great probiotic, but a good incentive dust to use) Vets'-Best Hairball relief, freeze dried chicken, bonito flakes, there are tons of little tricks you can use to get her converted.

It may take work, but in the end, it will be well worth it.

PS Human stew and rotisserie chicken are not good for cats. Much too high in salt, mainly, but also not balanced for a feline diet.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Human stew
I know what you meant, but YIKES at the visual that came to my mind!

Old 03-07-2014, 01:13 AM

Mmm human stew!

Thanks you lot, I shall try warming some wet food/dusting it with something for her and see if that helps

Old 03-07-2014, 01:31 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,159,514 times
Dry food can be hard on the kidney system of a cat. They have cookbooks for cats (cookbooks for you to cook for them LOL) and you can maybe cook up a batch of stew just for her and it will last a while, probably even more healthier than the canned stuff. I don't know if you can heat up regular canned cat food, though because maybe some of the ingredients don't work well heated.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:26 AM

It's perfectly okay to warm canned cat food.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:32 AM

Well I tried warming up some wet food - she wasn't fooled. Then tried dusting it with crushed dry food - still not fooled. She was definitely hungry as she was trying to eat my OH's stew. I even tried putting it in the same kind of bowl that my OH was eating from and put it on the table! This cat just really doesn't want that wet food *sigh*

Old 03-07-2014, 04:27 AM

Don't give up. If you are free feeding dry, stop. Feed on a schedule. Get her used to that. Then replace one of the dry meals with wet. I would go with the morning meal.

Don't put a whole lot down. A small amount of some smelly pate slightly warmed. If she eats that, put down another small amount.

Most likely, the problem is, she doesn't recognize it as food. So establishing a feeding routine will help her understand that it is food, when you put it down at the same time she normally would have a dry meal.

Remember that Kibble is sprayed with flavor enhancers to make cats eat it. Canned is not. That's why so many people have success with forti flora when transitioning kibble addicts. Because of the animal digest in the forti flora (that's usually what is sprayed on kibble)

Here is some information to keep you motivated.

http://catinfo.org/

Last edited by catsmom21; 03-07-2014 at 04:30 AM.. Reason: incorrect link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats