Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:12 PM

9 posts, read 30,736 times

Advertisements

Good evening everyone. I am new mom to a young kitten and have some questions.

Upon a regular checkup/visit to determine if she had a cold, we learned our Bootsey needed a hernia repair. She's 11 weeks old and some change. Yesterday was her surgery. I bought a dog crate (big enough for a 40-70 lb dog) to keep her in b/c they told us that her movement had to be restricted for three days. We have pain meds to give her, which we've been doing.

Which brings me to tonight.

I took Bootsey out of the crate to clean it out (she tipped over her little bowl with her food in it and there was some litter - the crate was big enough for a fleece "bed", food/water and a litter box) and put her in her car carrier -- which she doesn't care for. I put her back in the crate after I cleaned it and gave her her meds, at which point she went CRAZY.

She knocked over the food bowl again, and then went to play in the litter box, batting around a small clump... and then HORROR of HORRORS... she started rolling around in her litter. What do I do???? I get that she's unhappy cause she's bored, she's had the run of the house since she came home and confinement is NOT her thing...

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 08:17 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,643,885 times
just hang in there a couple more days!

Old 12-04-2007, 08:26 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
It sounds sort of hysterical. Maybe she is high from the medication. She is just a kitten, they do crazy things.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:33 PM

I just don't know what to do... I hate the idea of keeping her in her car carrier... don't want her to associate that with punishment.. but the idea of watching her roll around in her litter... EWWWWWWW

Besides that I think she's starving for affection, she's been found sleeping on me, she's been most receptive to lots of cuddling and petting and there's been very little of that these days.

Let her roll, or put her in the crate without the litter a few hours at a time???
(I know, way too neurotic to be a cat owner....)

Old 12-04-2007, 08:44 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizTeeJay View Post
I just don't know what to do... I hate the idea of keeping her in her car carrier... don't want her to associate that with punishment.. but the idea of watching her roll around in her litter... EWWWWWWW

Besides that I think she's starving for affection, she's been found sleeping on me, she's been most receptive to lots of cuddling and petting and there's been very little of that these days.

Let her roll, or put her in the crate without the litter a few hours at a time???
(I know, way too neurotic to be a cat owner....)
How long did the Vet say to confine her? I have never put litter in a crate with a cat. I personally would have gotten her a smaller one and let her out of the crate several times a day. At any rate the vet can't expect you to keep this up for long.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:52 PM

How long did the Vet say to confine her?
=====================

Her movement is supposed to be confined for two to three days. This was the first full day. I don't want her to be miserable, I'll just take the litter out of the crate, and let her back in. Friday we'll keep her confined to the basement and pray for the best (it's fully finished, and warm and dry down there, there's just lots of stuff for her to jump and play on and she's got staples in her tummy

Old 12-05-2007, 08:54 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
She's probably just mad that she's in the crate and is acting out. Hopefully she'll settle down. Just in time for you to let her out, no doubt ...

Old 12-05-2007, 09:08 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,030 times
I would expect that confining the kitten doesn't mean you need to put her in a cage. We used the extra bedroom to confine them when our kittens were little. Of course, we kitty proofed it so they didn't have wires to chew on and break stuff. They had a bed, a small table covered with a towel, their litter, food, water and toys. They were perfectly fine. Just confine her to a small space and she'll be much happier. you can go in there and cuddle with her.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:15 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,687 times
don't panic, Annabelle Lee rode all the way to Charlotte from Atlanta, in the litterbox, when I moved, it was clean and she wasn't crying.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Girls Just Wanna Have Fun....

Thanks to all of you for your responses and reassurances. I think she was just tired of the crate. The purpose of keeping her in it was I guess not to disturb the incision at the site of her hernia repair -- it's a pretty evil looking gash.... it has STAPLES in it... but uhm... LOL she was CLIMBING the inside of the crate today and appears to be in zero pain.

She does seem a little stressed at not having her regular affection and playtime with Mommy and Daddy ... and since the weather here is vicious and I have no CLUE what time I'll get back home tonight (Daddy's leaving @ 4:00 pm, I'm leaving my plantation at six but it took me three hours to get here today) we've decided to take her out of the crate and confine her to the basement. Not too much down there for her to get into... and I'll keep an eye on her when I DO make it home tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats