Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 11:02 AM

19 posts, read 22,699 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I was wanting to know if one of you can tell me what's the best way to put the gel on my cats ears. I have heard to use witch hazel before you apply it and to alternate ears? Can you please give me some tips on your experience. Thank you very much tammy n Paige.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 11:38 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,572,540 times
Just apply the necessary dosage to the clean, dry area of the ear where there is no hair. Try not to get it down into the ear canal - just gently rub it into the skin with the applicator tip until it dissolves into the skin. Doesn't matter which ear - you can alternate if you like. We used this method on one of our hyperthyroid kitties a few years back because we just couldn't get the pills down him - we had to chase him around the house to catch him once he caught onto the fact that he was our "target", and after we caught him it would be impossible to get the pill down his throat. With the gel pen, when he would crawl into our arms for snuggles it was easy to maneuver him just enough to apply his medication. One thing though, our vet did tell us that the gel application is not as effective as the pill because the dosage is usually not as accurate. The pens have to be compounded, and the dosage may be off a bit whereas with a pill - the dosage is always the same and you can be confident that kitty is absorbing it all. Talk to your vet and see what they have to say about the proper way to use the pen - if this is new for you. Good luck!!!

Old 04-14-2014, 12:14 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,923,274 times
ITA with the comment above. If it's possible, could you try pills first? It is easier to control the dose that way, and the pills are much less expensive.

However, that being said, my childhood cat was on the gel for two years before she died and did fine with that. I think alternating ears is a good idea, though my parents didn't do that. Cleaning the inside of the ears will need to be done every now and then because it gets gunky. I think I'd dilute the witch hazel at least 1:1 with warm water so it's not as strong.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:43 PM

Ok thank you both for the ideas and advice . I truly appreciate it : )

Old 04-14-2014, 09:53 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
I had no idea there was a gel, thank you for posting about it.

My vet crushes the pills and suspends the crushed powder in liquid (water??). I get one bottle a month. I shake the bottle hard and give 1/2 cc daily to my cat orally in a syringe. I just tilt his head back and sploosh it in - takes about a second. We've been doing this for nearly 9 months now, and it has been working just fine.

I wonder why your vets prefer the gel application??

Old 04-15-2014, 08:14 AM

Have any of you ever heard of people dosing their cats once a day when they have kidney problems because the meds don't leave the body as fast?

Old 04-15-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I had no idea there was a gel, thank you for posting about it.

My vet crushes the pills and suspends the crushed powder in liquid (water??). I get one bottle a month. I shake the bottle hard and give 1/2 cc daily to my cat orally in a syringe. I just tilt his head back and sploosh it in - takes about a second. We've been doing this for nearly 9 months now, and it has been working just fine.

I wonder why your vets prefer the gel application??
Sometimes for some cats it's easier on their stomach .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats