Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 04:10 PM

12,284 posts, read 2,968,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
She just finished a mild heat cycle when she went in to be spayed.

I didn't see that in anything I looked up - can that be the reason?

I went ahead and put her back on kitten food.

Since she's not acting ill, I'd rather try that before a couple hundred in tests.

Yes, when a cat is in heat it may not eat as much, or at least not enough to put on weight. If she's healthy enough to spay and hasn't had the operation yet then by all means. Then she'll likely gain weight afterwards if there are no other health issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 10:21 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
I found some paperwork she was only 3.3 pounds when I found her. But I had her up to 5. I don't like the dip to 4.1.

I will have her weighed soon. She is growing and acting like a normal, healthy cat but she is so thin, I hate it. I wish she'd fill out!

Makes me worry....

Still hoping she lost the weight during her horrid, horrid, ear infection and is just having a hard time filling out as food is going to growth.

She is guestimated to be about one year old now.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:42 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
A couple of suggestions:

Put her on children's vitamins. I am giving my little kitten infant vitamins, 1 drop every other day. Doesn't sound like much, but I'm concerned with overdosing her as she hasn't yet reached 1 pound (see the thread on miracle kitten). Since your kitty is older, use the children's poly-vi-sol or imitation works.

Buy a postal scale (under $10 on ebay) and weigh her yourself once a week just to have an idea what's going on.

If you have access, get some goat milk. My kitten loves it. So did some other motherless kitties we fostered. The thing with goat milk is that it is unpasteurized/non-homogenized - the cream rises to the top. My kitten thinks it's a major treat - filled with healthy vitamins and healthy fat.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:24 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
A couple of suggestions:

Put her on children's vitamins. I am giving my little kitten infant vitamins, 1 drop every other day. Doesn't sound like much, but I'm concerned with overdosing her as she hasn't yet reached 1 pound (see the thread on miracle kitten). Since your kitty is older, use the children's poly-vi-sol or imitation works.

Buy a postal scale (under $10 on ebay) and weigh her yourself once a week just to have an idea what's going on.

If you have access, get some goat milk. My kitten loves it. So did some other motherless kitties we fostered. The thing with goat milk is that it is unpasteurized/non-homogenized - the cream rises to the top. My kitten thinks it's a major treat - filled with healthy vitamins and healthy fat.
Thanks for the suggestions! I will file them away. I'm not going to get her any goat's milk, as she won't drink regular milk.

She ate some cheese, though.

I think she is eating more. It's hard to be positive with another cat in the house, but I keep her away from the kitten bowl pretty well, and it's emptying faster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats