Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 01:54 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Not to be a downer but something is up with Bobbles. Around 10am, I was in my son's room while he was running virus scans on my laptop. I climbed under his comforter while waiting. Bobbles came up and was staring at me. I made the mistake of reaching out to pet her. She started biting at my hand and arm. Keep in mind, this is not done hard or mean. I pulled my hand back under the covers and 10 seconds later she jumped up and bit my forehead. Again, it wasn't hard but my son saw the whole thing and said it looked vicious. He made angry cat sounds at her and she looked properly reprimanded.

I am the ONLY person in the household who gets face and head attacks. There's something about my being under covers that makes Bobbles crazy. It's not a big deal. I just can't pet her. The other thing she does is she'll stalk me and bite my legs after I pull my hand away from being bitten. It's just so weird that it's ME and only ME. She doesn't mess with my husband, son or the Basset. I'm the weak link in the family. In Bobble's mind she's not doing anything wrong. Shortly after the face attack, I went back to bed and she jumped up all happy hopping around.
I remember you had this problem with her a while back, and thought she had pretty much stopped doing it. Sorry to hear it's started again. I still think it's overly aggressive play on her part, but haven't a clue on how correct that behavior (I've never had to deal with it fortunately).
FWIW, I can't move around much (especially my hands) under the covers either, if my cats are on the bed. They'll tolerate a little under the cover movement, but not much. If I try to pet/play with them under the covers, the moving lump will get seriously attacked in short order. But they have never gone for any exposed part, or my face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 02:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Yeah, I don't purposely play with her under the covers. When I'm fixing the covers for bed and she's all excited, I toss a ponytail holder on top of the covers for her to attack so she doesn't focus on me. When she's pouncing on me when I'm under the covers, I try to stay still and continue sleeping.

It's easy for me to avoid getting my face attacked. All I have to do is never pet Bobbles and then put my hands under the covers. That frustrates her for some reason. I'm not putting my hands under the covers to play. I'm trying to remove my hand from being bitten. Clearly that's not working so I can't pet her.

When I'm not in bed and this happens, I've eliminated the stalking and biting my legs by providing her with something else to attack.

One thing I do differently from my husband and son is remove my hand and arm from being bitten. They just let her go to town on them until she gets bored. They don't encourage it or ruffle her up. (Neither do I.) They just tolerate it until she is done. When I do that, she usually bores and stops without having the prey drive. The problem is she gets too rough sometimes or I fear she will get too rough. That's why I remove myself, which completely sends her into prey mode.

She doesn't do this to the Basset because he growl and lunge at her. I can't do that because she retaliates and strikes back if I simply say "no."

The animal behaviorist told me to remove myself; however, that's the very thing that sets her off. The only way to make sure it never happens is to never pet her. But she's sooooooooooooo cute! How can I own a Bobbles and not pet her? LOL

Old 04-29-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I don't purposely play with her under the covers. When I'm fixing the covers for bed and she's all excited, I toss a ponytail holder on top of the covers for her to attack so she doesn't focus on me. When she's pouncing on me when I'm under the covers, I try to stay still and continue sleeping.

It's easy for me to avoid getting my face attacked. All I have to do is never pet Bobbles and then put my hands under the covers. That frustrates her for some reason. I'm not putting my hands under the covers to play. I'm trying to remove my hand from being bitten. Clearly that's not working so I can't pet her.

When I'm not in bed and this happens, I've eliminated the stalking and biting my legs by providing her with something else to attack.

One thing I do differently from my husband and son is remove my hand and arm from being bitten. They just let her go to town on them until she gets bored. They don't encourage it or ruffle her up. (Neither do I.) They just tolerate it until she is done. When I do that, she usually bores and stops without having the prey drive. The problem is she gets too rough sometimes or I fear she will get too rough. That's why I remove myself, which completely sends her into prey mode.

She doesn't do this to the Basset because he growl and lunge at her. I can't do that because she retaliates and strikes back if I simply say "no."

The animal behaviorist told me to remove myself; however, that's the very thing that sets her off. The only way to make sure it never happens is to never pet her. But she's sooooooooooooo cute! How can I own a Bobbles and not pet her? LOL

I know what you mean, I wouldn't be able to resist either.
Like I said, I don't have a lot of experience with this, but I would suggest; get your husband and son to stop allowing her to do it them... completely. If your petting her & she looks like she's going to do it, stop all contact with her until she calms down. She has to learn that her humans are not play objects (as a sibling would be). The Basset doesn't tolerate it & knows how stop it, so follow his lead. Not necessarily suggesting that you growl at her, but then again, it does seem to work for the Basset.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:26 PM

Bobbles wants everyone to know that she's INNOCENT!

She just gets carried away, but she's slowly learning.

She has been the perfect lady. She behaved perfectly last night.

(There was food in her dish and the Basset slept with me in bed, but we don't dwell on those pesky details.)

She looks exceptionally cute today and wants lots of cuddles too!

Old 04-30-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:

She has been the perfect lady. She behaved perfectly last night.

(There was food in her dish and the Basset slept with me in bed, but we don't dwell on those pesky details.)

She looks exceptionally cute today and wants lots of cuddles too!
Of course she is (aren't they always?)

Glad things went better last night. Maybe the Basset gets extra pets for being a good bodyguard.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:04 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:

Of course she's innocent. And she's still a baby, too, with no mama to teach her boundaries as far as swatting and nipping.

Maybe that's where the Basset comes in. LOL Everything happens for a reason.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:07 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
lol, Hopes, this is why I sleep with only one of mine. She is very calm ... she cuddles with me while I read my Kindle, then when it's "lights off" she moves to the foot of the bed between my feet.

I think we need more Bobbles pics!

Old 04-30-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I think we need more Bobbles pics!
I was thinking the same thing when I posted this thread. The problem is catching her looking innocent.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:47 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
She's scoping you out to see if you're "worthy" of the Mother's Day present she's working on for you!!! My Mama had a saying - "pretty is as pretty does".....she really is still just a baby though - and I think she knows she has you totally wrapped around her little paws. Oh, what we do for love!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats