Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:50 PM

25,407 posts, read 9,695,269 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We're waiting for the mobile vet to come to our home today at 5:00 to put our precious Maggie kitty to sleep. She is 17 and went blind about 5 weeks ago. She has had hearing loss for some time. We didn't take her to the vet, because she didn't seem to be suffering, and at her age we didn't want to stress her out with lots of tests, etc.

She still eats, drinks water and uses her litter, but we've noticed a decline. We hoped that she would be able to re-map and learn to live with her blindness. She is, however, staying under a bed, and only comes out maybe a few minutes each day. We have been loving on her like crazy, and she does seem to enjoy that. She tucks her little head and coos and purrs. But she's under the bed 23 out of 24 hours a day. She does not like being out with us, and has not wanted to be out since her blindness. She also seems to have gotten even more blind recently.

Anyway, it is time to say goodbye to our dear little girl. She is so much a part of our lives. We have another boy kitty who is also 17. She has never really liked him, just tolerated him all these years. He has known something was wrong for quite some time, and does his best to stay out of her way.

This is so hard. How in the world do you do it? My heart is in a thousand little pieces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 01:00 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,530,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Hi everyone. We're waiting for the mobile vet to come to our home today at 5:00 to put our precious Maggie kitty to sleep. She is 17 and went blind about 5 weeks ago. She has had hearing loss for some time. We didn't take her to the vet, because she didn't seem to be suffering, and at her age we didn't want to stress her out with lots of tests, etc.

She still eats, drinks water and uses her litter, but we've noticed a decline. We hoped that she would be able to re-map and learn to live with her blindness. She is, however, staying under a bed, and only comes out maybe a few minutes each day. We have been loving on her like crazy, and she does seem to enjoy that. She tucks her little head and coos and purrs. But she's under the bed 23 out of 24 hours a day. She does not like being out with us, and has not wanted to be out since her blindness. She also seems to have gotten even more blind recently.

Anyway, it is time to say goodbye to our dear little girl. She is so much a part of our lives. We have another boy kitty who is also 17. She has never really liked him, just tolerated him all these years. He has known something was wrong for quite some time, and does his best to stay out of her way.

This is so hard. How in the world do you do it? My heart is in a thousand little pieces.
I sympathize with you . We had an older cat I think may have suffered a stroke and suddenly could not see. She died soon after. I had pets all my life and saw many die. I currently have no pets at all. It is hard. Is there a way to save her? Do you know if the blindness is from cataracts? There may be a surgical option. I know if you have to put her down you will miss her. Please be careful that the vet you use does a good job to end her life peacefully. I have seen euthanasia go wrong and cause great pain.

Anyway those who believe in reincarnation will tell you that she will come back to you again someday.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:02 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,827,193 times
I'm so sorry. She sounds like she is indeed having a hard time coping with this change. Some people say their cats can live to be 20+ but I wonder how healthy they are. You know your kitty best and while it is hard to do most people lament that they waited too long to take such an important step. 17 years is a very long time to have her in your life and I know you have many cherished memories.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:09 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,884,320 times
trobesmom,
I am so very sorry for you, and having to make that decision is so hard.
You love her very much, and it is because you love her that you know you
have to make this decision.
You are doing this for her.
You know she isn't living, just existing, and you know she is suffering.
She wouldn't be spending so many hours under the bed if she wasn't.
Just be brave and do this for your baby girl. You can do it.
Her suffering will be over, and yours will begin.
But time will heal the wound.
It gets better in time, and take solice in knowing she had a good life
and was loved for 17 years.
What a lucky cat!
You were also lucky to have her too.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:21 PM

41,753 posts, read 74,749,634 times
Poor baby. I'm so sorry that it's her time. It's so very hard, but you're doing the right thing for her. Peace to you.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:33 PM

2,845 posts, read 5,993,300 times
*hugs* I'm really sorry for what is happening, but I commend you for 1- putting your own needs aside and realizing she's suffering, and 2- having the vet come to your house and put her to sleep.

No matter what happens she knows you love her and are doing this out of love, definitely hold her during the procedure if you can!

Old 05-05-2014, 01:36 PM

25,407 posts, read 9,695,269 times
Thank you so much, my friends. As I'm typing this, she is sitting here in my office purring and stretching and seemingly content. This is so hard. But I watch her try to find her waterbowl and get around, and she just bumps into things. Anyway, thank you so much for being here for me. I know this vet too, and she's probably going to resist, as my baby looks extremely healthy. She walks with her little tail in the air, and hasn't lost any weight in years. I just hope I'll get to do what's best for my baby.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:04 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,266,369 times
I'm so very sorry that you're faced with this most difficult decision, but you are putting her first as you should. You deserve credit for that. Most of us here have been there before (about a year ago for me) and know what you're going through. As others have said, she had a wonderful long life and a loving home with you and she knows that. So keep that in mind and it will help. The heartache you feel now is nothing compared to the anguish and guilt you would have watching her suffer every day if you did nothing.
My thoughts & prayers go out to you.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:10 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,186,247 times
Very sorry to hear. Wife and I have been through this too many times to count and it sucks everytime. It's never easy.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:41 PM

2,974 posts, read 3,880,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
*hugs* I'm really sorry for what is happening, but I commend you for 1- putting your own needs aside and realizing she's suffering, and 2- having the vet come to your house and put her to sleep.
If she is staying under the bed, I have to wonder if she is in pain. Cats tend to hide when they don't feel well.

Please accept my condolences. "Rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to let you go."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats