Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's an amazing cat! I'm in awe of how it body slammed the dog off of the boy. It wasn't being territorial. It came running right back to be with its people.

As for the dog, read the article! Geeze, everyone is so quick to sue. The dog owner himself called 911. I'm sure it terrified him to see his dog behave that way. The owner did the right thing. Accidents happen. I wouldn't sue the owner, I'm someone who was attacked by a neighbor's dog when I was a kid.
I just saw the video on my local news. They referred to the cat as "she." That made me wonder, since the cat is female, did she perceive she was protecting the young of her human family as she might a kitten? Or is that a bit far fetched?

I have heard of cats defending their owners when their humans were in danger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 08:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
As for the video, I immediately wonder what the whole story is. Had that kid been picking on our teasing the dog in the past to cause the dog to act that way? We don't know what caused that dog to react like that, but often in dog attacks, the one being attacked isn't completely innocent, and the dog was provoked.
That's doubtful in this scenario. Since the dog continued to be viscous for hours after the attack and couldn't be calmed for controlled, something is greater is terribly wrong with the dog. I'm sure it's being tested for rabies.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:13 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's unnerving when court is people's first response. These are neighbors. Where I live, neighbors get along and do the right thing. If that's not normal in other parts of the country, I want to stay right where I am.
It's sad that a lawsuit would be the first thought when hearing about a situation like this. There's nothing in any of the stories I've read that paints the dog's owner as negligent or irresponsible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
If the dog's owner had kept the dog inside the house or in a locked, gated backyard or walked the dog on a leash, there would have been no need to call 911.
I haven't read anything that would lead me to believe the owner was negligent. Dogs can be wily escape artists, and they run much faster than most humans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I love dogs, and I'm sad for this one. He will in all likelihood be put down
Agreed. And I'm sad for the dog's owners, too. Until I hear otherwise, I'm going to figure that this dog accidentally got away from its owners, who now are going to lose their pet on top of everything else - including possibly losing their homeowners' insurance or having to pay huge premiums with a new policy, even though the dog has been euthanized.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:22 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,651 times
Could have guessed it was a pitbull without even clicking. Should all be put down at owners expense. Dog would already be dead of it was my kid.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:16 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
I love all cats, but I REALLY love that cat ! What a wonderful kitty he is, and so brave too. Love it !!

Don

Old 05-14-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Could have guessed it was a pitbull without even clicking.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:44 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It's sad that a lawsuit would be the first thought when hearing about a situation like this. There's nothing in any of the stories I've read that paints the dog's owner as negligent or irresponsible.

I haven't read anything that would lead me to believe the owner was negligent. Dogs can be wily escape artists, and they run much faster than most humans.

The family's insurance company will "force" a lawsuit, to pay for the kid's medical costs and such. You can bet on it.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:46 PM

113 posts, read 216,751 times
omg, what a bad azzzNinja cat. a star is born, lol

Old 05-14-2014, 11:55 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times
Another video of this Dog attacking boy. In the video they tell the breed of dog.

Family cat saves boy from dog attack: 'Tara is my hero' | Local & Regional News | Bakersfield Now - News, Weather and Sports

Last edited by JD59; 05-15-2014 at 01:23 AM..

Old 05-15-2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
The family's insurance company will "force" a lawsuit, to pay for the kid's medical costs and such. You can bet on it.
That's not how homeowners insurance works. If the dog owner's homeowners insurance covers dog bites, the it will pay for the medical treatment - no lawsuit necessary. And then it likely will terminate the policy, even though the dog is dead, or jack up the premium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats