Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 01:03 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I started my own thread about "shy cats" as it were, and was sent here. Had I seen this, I'd probably just posted by 2 cents worth here and let that be it.

I have to say I think the person referenced in the first post is a more commendable person than I am, where it regards cat ownership anyway. The question "How many of us would tolerate such a cat?" I would say I would tolerate it maybe for 5 seconds before calling the local no-kill cat shelter or friends who had said they liked my cat and would be glad to have it themselves. I like to periodically hold and pick up any cat I have, it's why I would have it in my home to start with, and I in fact consider it pretty much my RIGHT to do whenever I feel like it and no matter how the cat feels about it. After all I may do so only 5 minutes before leaving you alone the entire remainder of the day. 5 minutes isn't going to kill you. I OWN you and that's just my right to do as I please and you are just going to shut up and tolerate it or live elsewhere. Otherwise, why am I bothering with you? If all I wanted to do was just observe you and not touch you even 5 minutes, I might as well just get an aquarium and fill it full of goldfish and not deal with litter boxes and other such hassles.

That woman sounds like just the type of person who would do great running a cat rescue facility or the like. Not everyone can do that, but it sounds like she could.
I agree. You should have a different type of pet other than a cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 06:32 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Nobody owns a cat. can't understand why anybody with such disdain for cats who do not meet his expectations, is not regarded as a family member and who is expected to tolerate being held even if it obviously doesn't like it would come to a cat forum to put down such cats and the people who tolerate and love them.

Last edited by no kudzu; 06-01-2014 at 07:10 PM..

Old 06-01-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Nobody owns a cat. can't understand why anybody who such disdain for cats who do not meet his expectations, is not regarded as a family member and who is expected to tolerate being held even if it obviously doesn't like it would come to a cat forum to put down such cats and the people who tolerate and love them.
Good question.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:48 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
We tell people we have 3.5 cats. The .5 is a semi-feral we rescued seven years ago. She lived behind a futon for three months and several years under a sofa. She would come out at night. Now she lives in a wicker cat carrier on the cat tree and roams the house at night.

She does loved to be petted and is quite forceful about it, shoving her head into my hand as I pet her and putting a paw out to grab my hand when I stop. If I stay up late and DH and the dog are upstairs in bed, she comes out but is very wary. She was estimated to be 5 when we rescued her and she probably lived that long by being careful. She is the sweetest cat and I would love her to be out in the open with us, but we accept her as she is.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:07 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I OWN you and that's just my right to do as I please and you are just going to shut up and tolerate it or live elsewhere. Otherwise, why am I bothering with you? If all I wanted to do was just observe you and not touch you even 5 minutes, I might as well just get an aquarium and fill it full of goldfish.
Please, please, please....PLEASE...do not get any more pets. Ever.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:10 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,635,195 times
Of all the dogs and cats I've had growing up I never had a shy one. They were the complete opposite, especially when I was eating something. I would be eating those chocolate covered ice cream bars and do what a lot of people do, chew off all the chocolate first then go to work on the ice cream. I had this old cat and some how it became her job to lick the stick when I finished. She would be sitting by my feet looking up at me as if to say " Leave some ice cream on the stick you swine " The dog always helped me with the Pizza Rolls and I think he kept count to make sure he wasn't cheated. I can't imagine what it would be like to have an animal for so long and be afraid of me.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:14 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
My Mom took in a feral cat. It took about a year before she could sneek pats and another year before the cat came inside. She was nervous around most people but eventually became a very loving cat. She refused to be totally tamed and demanded to go outside everyday to hunt. She eventually got hit by a car and had ot be put down but she had a much better life for the 5+ years my Mom had her.

If this woman can't hardly touch this cat in the past 7 years how does she get it to the Vets for shots and checkups?

Old 06-02-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
My Mom took in a feral cat. It took about a year before she could sneek pats and another year before the cat came inside. She was nervous around most people but eventually became a very loving cat. She refused to be totally tamed and demanded to go outside everyday to hunt. She eventually got hit by a car and had ot be put down but she had a much better life for the 5+ years my Mom had her.

If this woman can't hardly touch this cat in the past 7 years how does she get it to the Vets for shots and checkups?
Pretty sure the OP is a guy. His cat that he has a problem with is tame/friendly enough to handle, just doesn't like to be held/cuddled. The OP doesn't understand why his cat refuses to conform to his owners' concept of how a cat should conduct itself.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:14 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

I'm OP and a woman. The lady I talked to was being interviewed to be a summer tutor for our daughter and the question of cats came up b/c I always ask anybody coming into our home if they are allergic to or dislike cats. The conversation really didn't go beyond her telling me how shy her cat of 7 years is.

Now shyguylh is the one who started another thread about how he OWNS his cat and the cat eats HIS food and drinks HIS water and sits on HIS furniture and if it won't cuddle then, by damn, he will force it to be held or get rid of it. Most of us have a problem with his attitude. he definitely does not know or even love cats if they can't be accepted for their own quirky personalities.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm OP and a woman. The lady I talked to was being interviewed to be a summer tutor for our daughter and the question of cats came up b/c I always ask anybody coming into our home if they are allergic to or dislike cats. The conversation really didn't go beyond her telling me how shy her cat of 7 years is.

Now shyguylh is the one who started another thread about how he OWNS his cat and the cat eats HIS food and drinks HIS water and sits on HIS furniture and if it won't cuddle then, by damn, he will force it to be held or get rid of it. Most of us have a problem with his attitude. he definitely does not know or even love cats if they can't be accepted for their own quirky personalities.
Yeah, I got confused with the other thread he started.

My bad..... typical Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats