Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 11:31 AM

446 posts, read 996,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
If it gets to that point, kitty will need attention, but keep doing the skin test for it will be what tells you if kitty is debydrated. But a syringe (no needle or eye dropper) placed in the 'pocket' at the back of the cheek, with head slightly tilted is how water is administered.
Kitty may be particular about where the water belongs. No interest in water at the moment, but be sure to put the bowl where it usually goes. I had a cat that would ONLY drink from a trickling faucet.

You may want to try to offer kitty something more tasty too. Could be there was a food change you don't know about and the cat does not like it. Ate it for a while because it is part of the routine, but is being picky now.

I'm sure these posts are helping but not since others are saying a vet visit. I say wait. But ultimately it is up to the owners. They may be aware that kitty has phases.
I know that when my kid had a growth spurt coming, she did not eat as much as normal and would sleep more.
I did speak with the owners just now... they said to wait until the end of the day to see what happens. They didn't seem too concerned. They said he had been less interested in his food lately and it may be due to his becoming more picky. They also said that they had just come back from their country home before I arrived here to pet sit, so the kitty had some action-packed days in a new location and might just be exhausted. Anyway, I will keep a close eye on him and I really appreciate all the comments!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 12:52 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
I understand you may be reluctant to make vet visit decisions in the owners' absence, but if it we me in that situation I would err on the side of caution and take the cat to a vet sooner rather than later. Loss of appetite along with being somewhat lethargic for a cat that age is not a good sign. It may being nothing serious, but bear in mind that a cat can go downhill very quickly if there is a problem. I wouldn't wait too long 'observing' him. It could come back to haunt you.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I understand you may be reluctant to make vet visit decisions in the owners' absence, but if it we me in that situation I would err on the side of caution and take the cat to a vet sooner rather than later. Loss of appetite along with being somewhat lethargic for a cat that age is not a good sign. It may being nothing serious, but bear in mind that a cat can go downhill very quickly if there is a problem. I wouldn't wait too long 'observing' him. It could come back to haunt you.
I just paid rent and can't afford a vet bill The last time something like this happened, the receptionist was unable to get a hold of the pet owner on the phone and they wouldn't let me leave until I paid over $300, ended up overdrawing my account. The owners of this cat did make an appointment for 11:20 tomorrow morning, though. They asked me to wait until then.If I had the means at all, I would've already taken the cat to the vet today, but I literally couldn't. He has been walking around, he even stalked a fly a little bit ago. I'm really not sure what the deal is

Old 06-01-2014, 06:41 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Is he peeing normally? If he has not peed this is an emergency.

What is he fed? has he eaten at all since yesterday? 24 hours is about as long as a cat should go without food.

8-10 months old is not an age they "slow down". Maybe about around 3 or 4 years old.

Glad you are paying attention and in contact with the owners. Well done.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:42 PM

3,297 posts, read 3,021,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
I just paid rent and can't afford a vet bill The last time something like this happened, the receptionist was unable to get a hold of the pet owner on the phone and they wouldn't let me leave until I paid over $300, ended up overdrawing my account. The owners of this cat did make an appointment for 11:20 tomorrow morning, though. They asked me to wait until then.If I had the means at all, I would've already taken the cat to the vet today, but I literally couldn't. He has been walking around, he even stalked a fly a little bit ago. I'm really not sure what the deal is
That sounds very reasonable to me, it doesn't sound like he's going to keel over between now and tomorrow morning, and the fact that he has enough extra energy to stalk a fly is a good sign. It sounds like you are a very conscientious catsitter, and if I had a kitty I would trust you with it.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:48 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
I understand your situation. Sounds like you & the cats' owners are doing the right thing, and glad to hear they've scheduled an appointment. Hopefully it's nothing & he'll be fine, but that peace of mind can be priceless. The fact that you noticed a potential problem means you're a good pet sitter, so good job.
Post an update if you can.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Is he peeing normally? If he has not peed this is an emergency.

What is he fed? has he eaten at all since yesterday? 24 hours is about as long as a cat should go without food.

8-10 months old is not an age they "slow down". Maybe about around 3 or 4 years old.

Glad you are paying attention and in contact with the owners. Well done.
I observed him urinate once today. It is possible he has gone more, but I only saw it once today.

He was acting 100% normal yesterday until dinnertime. So the last time he ate a meal was probably around 3pm yesterday (Saturday). He eats some hard food mixed with some organic refrigerated canned meat for cats.

I just now tried 'force' feeding him water. I put some water in a water bottle cap and rested it underneath his nose so that his mouth area would get wet. He licked a few times, but he really wasn't having any of it.

I'm just confused how he'll be passed out for hours and then decide to get up and stalk a fly? It seems on and off. At any rate, he'll be at the vet by noon tomorrow.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
That sounds very reasonable to me, it doesn't sound like he's going to keel over between now and tomorrow morning, and the fact that he has enough extra energy to stalk a fly is a good sign. It sounds like you are a very conscientious catsitter, and if I had a kitty I would trust you with it.
Thank you! I am a student who does this in my free time and I love all these animals as if they were my own. Seeing them in pain really sucks

Old 06-01-2014, 08:45 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
I hope there's nothing truly wrong with him but just wanted to say you are a fantastic cat sitter. You could try giving him some warmed chicken or beef broth if there is any in the house, or boil a little chicken and chop it up with the broth to try to eat.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I understand your situation. Sounds like you & the cats' owners are doing the right thing, and glad to hear they've scheduled an appointment. Hopefully it's nothing & he'll be fine, but that peace of mind can be priceless. The fact that you noticed a potential problem means you're a good pet sitter, so good job.
Post an update if you can.
Thank you! I'll update with the results of the visit tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats