Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 06:46 PM

277 posts, read 688,732 times

Advertisements

Aww thank you all so much! Toonces is purring with happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 07:14 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
She certainly doesn't look 20, but rather more like 10 or 12. Quite remarkable... and a very pretty girl btw. Glad she's doing better, and hope she continues to do so.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:47 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
She is beautiful.

Cat

Old 06-10-2014, 11:54 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
She is 20? Wow, she looks amazing for her age!

Old 06-10-2014, 02:21 PM

277 posts, read 688,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
She is 20? Wow, she looks amazing for her age!
Yes. We've had her since she was approximately 18 months or 2 years old, so she's 20 within 6 months or so. We do not know her exact birth date but I've personally had her since 1996.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:09 PM

13 posts, read 15,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikesfanmb View Post
I have a 20 year old female cat named Toonces. She has been my buddy, my best friend, my companion and I can't imagine life without her. My apartment would seem SO lonely.

She was doing fine up until a month ago (or so) very lively and active, still ate well, and seemed strong.
When I had her in for a routine check-up the vet said she couldn't even believe she was approaching 20 and from the initial exam, would have pegged her to be more around 10. I refused any labs at that appt because 1. I couldn't afford it and 2. there was nothing going on that even justified running labs, she'd been doing fine.

Fast forward to this week, it seems my cat has lost noticeable weight (2 months ago at the vet she was 7 pounds but she is naturally a small cat) but I'm guessing she's no more than 6 now. She still eats and drinks but seems to eat less food and drink more water. Her litter box when I went to scoop it last night was quite saturated. Her back legs seem weak, she jumped up on the couch next to me last night but seemed to have a hard time holding her balance - yet she still jumps up on the bed, couch, etc. She seems more listless than usual.

So I did call the vet this morning - they said they had no openings for today at all and they aren't open on the weekend. They recommended the emergency vet. Trouble is, I simply cannot afford the emergency vet. I've had a TON of extra medical expenses (for myself) and vehicle troubles this past month - and I just don't know what to do.

How does one make the decision to euthanize? My Toonces has lived a long and happy life. I don't want her to suffer. I just don't know what to do and I am so, so sad.

I can empathize with you. I am going through the same decision you had to go through. My cat is 19 and has always been in good health until about two years ago, when his thyroid levels were high and he was found to have high blood pressure, but he has been on meds for these problems and was doing well. Now I am told he is in congestive heart failure. An x-ray shows fluid around his lungs. I really don't know what to do. Is the time to euthanize now or will he be able to live comfortably for a few more months. Like you, I don't want him to suffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats