Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 04:38 PM

277 posts, read 688,575 times

Advertisements

Well, surprisingly when I got home from work about an hour ago - my cat seems better and just ate most of a plate of wet cat food. Of course, that doesn't mean I am going to forego taking her in tomorrow, but maybe the news will be less negative - let's hope!

Thank you all again for the very helpful comments. I will try to keep posting as much as possible on how she fairs overnight and tomorrow. Obviously, I am watching her closely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 05:50 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Best of luck!

Old 06-06-2014, 06:08 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
That's great news. Hoping she continues to improve!

Old 06-06-2014, 07:47 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
That's a good sign. Paws crossed for good blood panel results.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:54 AM

638 posts, read 993,554 times
That's great news! Love,hugs,& prayers!!

Old 06-07-2014, 03:22 PM

277 posts, read 688,575 times
Update!! Good news (sort of) . . .

I had my kitty Toonces at the vet at promptly 9:00 this morning when the "walk in clinic" vet opens. It was me and about 8 other people, believe it or not, waiting at the vet's door at a few minutes until 9.
We were there for almost 4 hours but so worth it.

Anyways, they ran all sorts of lab work on her - blood sugar was good, she is not diabetic, in fact the vet said he'd never seen a 20 YEAR OLD CAT before with such excellent lab values, her kidneys looked great "perfect" in the vet's own words . . however, her liver enzymes were quite high so that could mean 1 of 3 things according to the vet. 1. Liver cancer - unlikely, but could be. 2. Liver failure - slightly more likely or 3. Feline hepatitis. He said he said seen a senior cat with hepatitis just 2 weeks earlier and your cat doesn't have to be an outdoor cat to contract it, apparently.

She also has a heart murmur, again he said, typical in older cats.

So, the good news is - we are treating her conservatively with a liver support medication, antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory. The bad news is, I just spent $234.69 I didn't have - but oh well. My little buddy is worth it in the end. However many more weeks or months or years she has left, she is priceless in my world.

Thank you all so much again for the kind words and encouragement and advice. I can't tell you all how much I appreciate it!

Old 06-07-2014, 03:48 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
That's good news, and now you know what you're dealing with. Sounds like you're going to have some time left with after all.
Coincidently, my 17 year old Stormy was also recently found to have high liver numbers (but in good shape otherwise). He's half way through the second 30 day round of medicine that's supposed help his liver regenerate and improve it's function. Will know in a couple of weeks if it's doing any good.
Glad your girl's ok for now, and thanks for the update.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:26 PM

638 posts, read 993,554 times
That's WONDERFUL news! Thanks for the update and just keep enjoying her as long as you can.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:33 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Unhappy *

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikesfanmb
How does one make the decision to euthanize? My Toonces has lived a long and happy life. I don't want her to suffer. I just don't know what to do and I am so, so sad.
I hope its just she isnt feeling well (Maybe a bug) -- Give her a week and see if things improve........

I know how much you love your kitty cat as I loved mine that much and 2 days before xmas last year i lost her

Peace and love to you my friend.......I hope it works out for the best

EDIT:

I see she is doing better!!!!!! -- GOOD FOR HER!!!!! -- PLEASE GIVE HER A BIG HUG FOR ME

Old 06-07-2014, 06:28 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikesfanmb View Post
Update!! Good news (sort of) . . .

I had my kitty Toonces at the vet at promptly 9:00 this morning when the "walk in clinic" vet opens. It was me and about 8 other people, believe it or not, waiting at the vet's door at a few minutes until 9.
We were there for almost 4 hours but so worth it.

Anyways, they ran all sorts of lab work on her - blood sugar was good, she is not diabetic, in fact the vet said he'd never seen a 20 YEAR OLD CAT before with such excellent lab values, her kidneys looked great "perfect" in the vet's own words . . however, her liver enzymes were quite high so that could mean 1 of 3 things according to the vet. 1. Liver cancer - unlikely, but could be. 2. Liver failure - slightly more likely or 3. Feline hepatitis. He said he said seen a senior cat with hepatitis just 2 weeks earlier and your cat doesn't have to be an outdoor cat to contract it, apparently.

She also has a heart murmur, again he said, typical in older cats.

So, the good news is - we are treating her conservatively with a liver support medication, antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory. The bad news is, I just spent $234.69 I didn't have - but oh well. My little buddy is worth it in the end. However many more weeks or months or years she has left, she is priceless in my world.

Thank you all so much again for the kind words and encouragement and advice. I can't tell you all how much I appreciate it!
I live in the Bay Area of CA so I would love to have that much work for that price! His PU surgery was $7,000! So much for life on a fixed income.

My little boy had a urinary tract infection a few months ago. In CA there is a law that says vets must offer a presciption which can be used at the drug store instead of buying exclusively from them. Of course, he claim that the manufacturer refuses to sell on line so it won't do us any good but, we wanted an antibiotic we could get from a drug store.....

Give Toonces a huge hug from our house to your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats