Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 04:23 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times

Advertisements

Seeing distilled water being recommended in another thread, I thought I should post the reason(s) distilled water is not a good idea.

Snip:

Quote:
Distilled water has been purified so that it does not contain any particles at all. While purity may sound good, you really should not use distilled water for drinking. The reason lies in the fundamental nature of water. Water and solutes (molecules and particles) move by osmosis and diffusion, respectively. You might remember these from high school chemistry class! Basically, water moves by osmosis from where there is more of it, to where there is less of it; and solutes diffuse from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. Distilled water contains zero solutes, so when it enters the intestines, diffusion will actually pull solutes out of the body. Drinking only distilled water can ultimately cause deficiencies in sodium, potassium, and important trace minerals. It also becomes acidic when exposed to air. It may contain higher levels of volatile compounds such as benzenes, trihalomethanes, and trichloroethylene, as well as highly toxic “disinfection by-products.” In people, exclusive consumption of distilled water is associated with high blood pressure and heart arrhythmias. While distilled water can be valuable when used for a short-term process of detoxification, it’s not safe for long-term consumption.
Water Water Everywhere, but What’s a Cat to Drink? | Little Big Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 06:38 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Thanks for that info.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:51 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Yep, I figure if the water coming out of our tap is good enough for me, it is good enough for my furbuddies.

Don

Old 06-09-2014, 02:22 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,455 times
Thanks for the info! I had no idea that distilled water could be bad for you. Me and the kitties drink spring water here. They even get it nicely chilled.

I won't drink our tap water, so there's no way I would give it to them. I have two that like to drink from the faucet. I don't deny them it, but I don't like it. Our tap water always smells like chlorine. Yuck.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:03 AM

732 posts, read 968,697 times
Yeah, don't give them distilled water!

Also, it's best not to use plastic bowls for their water & food because the chemicals can leech out and affect their health. I had a cat that was fine until I one day accidentally dropped & shattered the ceramic water bowl. I switched to plastic bowls, and that was when he started experiencing fur loss on his belly & chest area and his epileptic seizures started. I didn't realize the plastic bowls could cause problems until I later read somewhere online, years ago, that cats can be sensitive to the chemicals in plastic and the similarity in symptoms.

Use lead-free glass, ceramic or stainless steel for your loved ones and yourself.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:37 AM

369 posts, read 760,035 times
Thanks for the info. I always gave my hamster distilled water or spring water because I'd read that the impurities in tap water are harmful to them. But my kitties get double-filtered tap water - their fountain, which has a filter, gets filled from my Brita pitcher. Just because it's easier to bring the pitcher to the fountain than to unplug the fountain and bring it to a sink.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:54 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
Hmmm, then I wonder if it's safe for humans in the long run...

Old 06-28-2014, 04:26 AM

732 posts, read 968,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyJaneway View Post
Thanks for the info. I always gave my hamster distilled water or spring water because I'd read that the impurities in tap water are harmful to them. But my kitties get double-filtered tap water - their fountain, which has a filter, gets filled from my Brita pitcher. Just because it's easier to bring the pitcher to the fountain than to unplug the fountain and bring it to a sink.
I haven't had cats in years (and miss them a lot), but when I used to and this city switched from chlorine to chloramine in the tap water two of my cats kept getting sick and throwing up after drinking the water before I started filtering the water.

Last edited by 3rdGen SFan; 06-28-2014 at 05:08 AM..

Old 06-28-2014, 07:49 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Not sure why anyone would drink distilled water anyway, it is totally tasteless because all the minerals have been left behind . The minerals are what gives water a good taste. It is really only good for car radiators and clothes irons, otherwise just use purified water for drinking.

Don

Old 06-28-2014, 06:04 PM

256 posts, read 342,909 times
Isn't distilled water still preferred for fish tanks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats