Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 01:41 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times

Advertisements

When Tidy Cat and Arm & Hammer's Super Scoop went on sale for $5.00 for 20 pounds I switched from the brand that I normally buy at a local Feed and Animal Store (brand: Integrity at $14 for 25 pounds).

Arm & Hammer's Super Scoop is superior to the other 2 in clumping capability. The only drawback is the scent - I do not like scented cat litter. The smell permeates my home and my poor Kitties that have to claw around in it.
I will have to check to see if it is offered in unscented when I consider purchasing it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 03:43 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I was using that brand for a while, and liked it okay... until I had a horrifying experience where a couple of flies got into my house, and a few days later I discovered maggots in the litter box. And I scoop it daily!! I guess the corn base attracted the flies (to lay their eggs), so now I'm scared to use it again.

OMG that's disgusting. I was thinking of trying this, but now maybe not. I have tried the pine based ones, but they didn't clump well enough so I had to mix with regular clumping litter. Also, the nice pine scent didn't last very long.

I think I might try Dr. Elsey's when I run out of litter. I am lucky in that my cats seem to be willing to try anything. When I moved to a small condo, I bought a huge litter box with a top from CatIt. It was kind of expensive, like $40 but it really seems to keep the tracking down and there is never a smell unless the little boy is mad at me and leaves a turd in the box unburied to let me know.

I found it cheaper on Chewy.com.

http://www.chewy.com/cat/catit-hoode...FYMjgQodyA4Aow

Last edited by Fiona13; 03-02-2015 at 04:03 PM..

Old 03-02-2015, 06:04 PM

515 posts, read 557,827 times
FRESH STEP XTRA!!!
I tried the paper stuff and it was a stinky mess....Also, my cat hated it.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:18 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
I'm glad this thread is back to life because I have been thinking of switching litter brands. I normally use the 42 clumping stuff from Costco, but recently I ran out and bought some Scoop Away Complete at the grocery store and man, is it dusty ! When they dig around in it there is a cloud of dust all over things. I couldn't figure out where all this white dust was coming from but when I dumped more litter in their boxes I saw how bad it was.

I don't think the Costco stuff was that bad, but what clumping litters do you guys find with NO dust ?

Don

Old 03-02-2015, 06:25 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Do they make flushable litter?

I will be getting a new cat in a few months and I would like to keep the litter next to the toilet for a while, then eventually transition to toilet training the cat once it is older. I was hoping I could use flushable litter for ease of clean up. I am not on a septic system.
My cat had a radiation treatment last month and we were legally required to flush her litter so I bought a wheat based litter from Pet Club. The directions are to let it soak in the toilet bowl for five minutes before flushing. No plumbing problems after a few weeks now. However, I will be glad when we can go back to our regular litter with her as the wheat turns to paste when it is wet which makes cleaning difficult.

Cats need to dig around when they take care of business so I never tried toilet training them.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:37 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
I started using the flushable Cats Pride in the plastic jug and have stuck with it 100%. It flushes really well and I've had zero plumbing issues. It is also low or no perfume which is nice since I find the perfume overwhelming. the consitancy is very fine like sand, so it covers the mess well to seal in odors.

My husband accidentally bought the Arm and Hammer stuff in the orange box last week, and I about gag from the strong perfume when I walk in that room.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:45 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
When we adopted our cat, we asked what litter they used (we were going to get the same) but they said they use what's donated.

On the way home, we got Tidy Cat. He took one sniff and ran away from his box. So I ran out and got Fresh Step. He jumped right in and got busy. I have to say, it is dusty, but not always, which I don't understand. Why can't it be dust-free always?

Oh well. He loves it. If he's happy, we're happy.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:52 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Quote:
I started using the flushable Cats Pride in the plastic jug and have stuck with it 100%. It flushes really well and I've had zero plumbing issues. It is also low or no perfume which is nice since I find the perfume overwhelming. the consitancy is very fine like sand, so it covers the mess well to seal in odors.

My husband accidentally bought the Arm and Hammer stuff in the orange box last week, and I about gag from the strong perfume when I walk in that room.
NOW you tell me!

How does it react when it is wet?

Old 03-02-2015, 07:40 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
NOW you tell me!

How does it react when it is wet?

It clumps immediately, but not rock hard concrete clumps. It breaks up fast when tossed into the toilet. I've tossed way too much into the toilet at once, and have never soaked it - flush immediately. Never had the slightest clog even. One jug lasts a long time w one cat.

It's hard to tell apart the Cats Pride jugs to see which one is flushable. The easiest way is to flip it over and buy the one with the plumbing diagrams showing toilet pipes on the back label.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:12 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
It clumps immediately, but not rock hard concrete clumps. It breaks up fast when tossed into the toilet. I've tossed way too much into the toilet at once, and have never soaked it - flush immediately. Never had the slightest clog even. One jug lasts a long time w one cat.

It's hard to tell apart the Cats Pride jugs to see which one is flushable. The easiest way is to flip it over and buy the one with the plumbing diagrams showing toilet pipes on the back label.

Nice to know that some cat owners don't care about spreading harmful (and notoriously hardy) feline parasites via the waterways to wreak havoc on humans and wildlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats