Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 09:45 PM

605 posts, read 700,870 times

Advertisements

I use Scoop Away from Costco. Occasionally it goes on sale and I stock up. However, I don't like the fact that it does get dusty when I pour it in the litter bin (I try to quickly put the cover on to minimize the dust spreading around). However I recently became aware that many clumping litters are very bad for the environment, as the clay that is most often used is obtained from strip mining. I'm really considering trying to switch to something that is a bit more environmentally friendly. However, I'm not sure if my little Sophie would mind or not, if I switched her brand. I'll have to ask her, but she's sleeping right now on top of my desk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 10:09 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,705,413 times
Oh, you are right, I didn't realize this Scoop Away I have IS FROM COSTCO !! Yep, I will pick up some Tidy Cat at the store tomorrow and hopefully get rid of this dusting problem. It has even been making my allergies worse.

Don

Old 03-03-2015, 12:51 PM

6,408 posts, read 7,608,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Nice to know that some cat owners don't care about spreading harmful (and notoriously hardy) feline parasites via the waterways to wreak havoc on humans and wildlife.
It is unfortunate, and expensive, that our cat needed to use flushable litter after her radiation treatment. We also asked about the safety of flushing and told that garbage is scanned for radiation resulting in the government knocking at our door when they trace it back to our house. Our California water is treated before it goes anywhere because we love our Bay and wildlife. I'm sure there is plenty on Google about how water is treated, but don't have the time to research it for you.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:19 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,777,836 times
I use four 40 lb. bags of Elseys Precious Multicat a month from Amazon Prime.
It costs about $15 a bag, No shipping charge.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:31 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,187,825 times
Quote:

Nice to know that some cat owners don't care about spreading harmful (and notoriously hardy) feline parasites via the waterways to wreak havoc on humans and wildlife.
I can assure you that my single purebred and parasite-free, 100% indoor cat is not contaminating your water supply when I flush his turd.

Perhaps your time would be better spent focusing on people flushing bleach, Industrial pollutants, chemical cleansers, detergents, paper wipes, plastic micro beads found in hand soaps, hepatitis, HIV and human urine/feces containing thousands of pharmaceutical drugs into your water supply on a daily basis.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:36 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,360,867 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I can assure you that my single purebred and parasite-free, 100% indoor cat is not contaminating your water supply when I flush his turd.

Perhaps your time would be better spent focusing on people flushing bleach, Industrial pollutants, chemical cleansers, detergents, paper wipes, plastic micro beads found in hand soaps, hepatitis, HIV and human urine/feces containing thousands of pharmaceutical drugs into your water supply on a daily basis.

I am more worried about the feces from rodents. They are permitted to excrete right on the ground, washed into the storm water system without any treatment and on to the river.

Perhaps they can be diapered?

Old 03-13-2015, 02:24 PM

5,836 posts, read 5,227,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I am rethinking my litter choice (Fresh Step). I have been reading that clay based litters are not good for the environment. I confess, I usually don't scoop. But, I always just change the entire box and clean it about once a week or so. This is why I don't like clumping litter because it usually sticks to the bottom of the pan making it a b**** to clean.

I have read this thread on what everyone uses but there were a few things that people didn't mention-how much tracking. I want a litter that will control odors, have less dust & doesn't track. And if it is good for the environment, even better. Does such a litter exist?

Cat

After trial & error with some brands, I have settled on Yesterday's News. It is made from recycled newspaper. I tried that pine stuff (can't remember the name of it) and man, it was really bad. After it was used, it would turn into sawdust and that stuff ended up all over the house. I can't remember what else I have tried.

With Yesterday's News, I have found that there is hardly any tracking. I don't find little bits of cat litter in bed anymore. I also put a small box in front of their bigger box, so when they step out, they step into the smaller box and most of the little they track goes into that small box. And clean-up with so easy. When I change the entire box, I basically just wipe down the box with those Clorox wipes-no need to scrub like I had to do with the Fresh Step. And it does work well on odors.

Ok, sales pitch is over.

Cat

Old 03-13-2015, 04:59 PM

605 posts, read 700,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
After trial & error with some brands, I have settled on Yesterday's News. It is made from recycled newspaper. I tried that pine stuff (can't remember the name of it) and man, it was really bad. After it was used, it would turn into sawdust and that stuff ended up all over the house. I can't remember what else I have tried.

With Yesterday's News, I have found that there is hardly any tracking. I don't find little bits of cat litter in bed anymore. I also put a small box in front of their bigger box, so when they step out, they step into the smaller box and most of the little they track goes into that small box. And clean-up with so easy. When I change the entire box, I basically just wipe down the box with those Clorox wipes-no need to scrub like I had to do with the Fresh Step. And it does work well on odors.

Ok, sales pitch is over.

Cat
Thanks for the info Catwoman! What about dust issues? Is there also significantly less dust when pouring/changing? Also, I assume there is no clumping action, correct?

Old 03-13-2015, 06:26 PM

5,836 posts, read 5,227,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post
Thanks for the info Catwoman! What about dust issues? Is there also significantly less dust when pouring/changing? Also, I assume there is no clumping action, correct?

A few minutes after I wrote my post, I realized that I forgot to mention-NO DUST! Actually, I might get a tiny bit of dust at the bottom of the bag but it is nothing like it was when I was using Fresh Step. There is no clumping action. But, urine is absorbed into the pellets and it is easy enough to see the poop to scoop.

Cat

Old 03-14-2015, 12:30 PM

335 posts, read 616,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I use four 40 lb. bags of Elseys Precious Multicat a month from Amazon Prime.
It costs about $15 a bag, No shipping charge.

The last time I ordered that from Amazon there were tears in the bag, and litter all inside the box. And of course the litter leaked out of the box before I even opened the box up. I now go to the local pet supply store and haul it home myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats