Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 01:16 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times

Advertisements

We had a kitten and blind Mother cat show up at our house. I think Momma can see light but not much else. She had 1 kitten with her and I did search to make sure there weren't any left behind.

We brought them in and set up a litter box for them. Mom refuses to stay inside long enough to even need a litter box. The kitten who appears to be about 4 weeks old, no more then 6, is still nursing but will also eat dry food and drink water...is having a problem getting adjusted to it. If the litter box is not right by the bed he will pee or poo on the bed...which of course I have come to expect the accident and have a towel with a trash bag under it for him to sit on.

He is a quick learning kitten, he has learned to stay on his towel when he is not laying on me. He is using the litter box but as I said only if its by the bed. I don't believe in shouting or punishing animals so nothing like that is done when he makes a mistake. I just try to put him in the litter box often and he is doing better. I had to wonder if his problems with the litter box might be because his Mother can't teach him as well.

I say this because through my life and many kitties, as young as this one, I have never run into a kitten that didn't use a litter box when presented with one. Its almost like when its in the bathroom, its out of sight out of mind. The bathroom is maybe 6 feet from the foot of our bed...

So I really don't know how to litter train a kitten. Am I doing the right thing, is there something I should be doing that I am not?? Like just now, the litter box is actually by the bed and I saw him assume the usual position and I got him in time and put him in the litter box. His urine is the normal color and odor, I can't imagine he has a urine infection. He and his Mother will be going to the vet soon to get checked out.

I really want to keep this little guy, he has touched my heart. In 2011 I had 3 beloved cats. I had to go into the hospital, I left them with a family member and while I was gone he turned them over to a shelter in Fort Worth. I have had night mares where I sit up in bed and call out their names. My family has never been close, my parents are gone, my daughter is grown...it tore my heart out to loose them. I had raised them from very small kittens. I had not let myself become attached to any animals until recently.

This little boy likes to sleep under my chin and even if I am sitting upright he will crawl up onto my ample bosom and sit there...of course I lay down or back a little to avoid getting claws in my chest. He is a darling boy.

I added a picture of him laying on my partners chest, he is so young he sleeps a lot. He plays hard and then crashes and burns like you see in the picture.

Attached Thumbnails
Kitten having trouble learning to use litter box-img-20140607-00125.jpg  

Last edited by Lindsey_Mcfarren; 06-10-2014 at 01:21 AM.. Reason: add information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 09:00 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Most kittens are taught to use the litter box by their mothers. Since this little guy's mother hasn't taught him, it is up to his surrogate mother (you) to do so. From what you described, I think you are doing the right thing, but it will probably take some time. I think part of it is the fact that he is so young. What I would do is move the box about an inch or so every few days until it is where it is supposed to be. I think if you continue with that, he will probably be totally litter box trained by the age of 6 months-probably younger.

Cat

Old 06-10-2014, 09:20 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
Your kitten is still very young.

All kittens have accidents. My two did.

Momma kitties take care of their kittens toileting after nursing.

So after you feed your kitten put him in the litter box.. and dig his little paws into the litter.

Since my Momma cat had such a deep sided litter box, I got my kittens a much smaller box with lower sides. They used it a couple of times, but preferred to climb and vault over the sides of their Momma cat's larger litter box.

My kittens are 12 weeks now.............they they know where all 4 litter boxes are located throughout the house.

As a PS.... I wouldn't let Momma kitty out of the house. She could bring back god know's what. Also since you have the Momma cat you should take her to the vet and have her tested for Feline Leukemia and FIV. If she tests negative, then the kitten will too. Kitten's first vet appointment should be made at 6 weeks of age.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:51 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
We had a kitten and blind Mother cat show up at our house. I think Momma can see light but not much else. She had 1 kitten with her and I did search to make sure there weren't any left behind.

We brought them in and set up a litter box for them. Mom refuses to stay inside long enough to even need a litter box. The kitten who appears to be about 4 weeks old, no more then 6, is still nursing but will also eat dry food and drink water...is having a problem getting adjusted to it. If the litter box is not right by the bed he will pee or poo on the bed...which of course I have come to expect the accident and have a towel with a trash bag under it for him to sit on.

He is a quick learning kitten, he has learned to stay on his towel when he is not laying on me. He is using the litter box but as I said only if its by the bed. I don't believe in shouting or punishing animals so nothing like that is done when he makes a mistake. I just try to put him in the litter box often and he is doing better. I had to wonder if his problems with the litter box might be because his Mother can't teach him as well.

I say this because through my life and many kitties, as young as this one, I have never run into a kitten that didn't use a litter box when presented with one. Its almost like when its in the bathroom, its out of sight out of mind. The bathroom is maybe 6 feet from the foot of our bed...

So I really don't know how to litter train a kitten. Am I doing the right thing, is there something I should be doing that I am not?? Like just now, the litter box is actually by the bed and I saw him assume the usual position and I got him in time and put him in the litter box. His urine is the normal color and odor, I can't imagine he has a urine infection. He and his Mother will be going to the vet soon to get checked out.

I really want to keep this little guy, he has touched my heart. In 2011 I had 3 beloved cats. I had to go into the hospital, I left them with a family member and while I was gone he turned them over to a shelter in Fort Worth. I have had night mares where I sit up in bed and call out their names. My family has never been close, my parents are gone, my daughter is grown...it tore my heart out to loose them. I had raised them from very small kittens. I had not let myself become attached to any animals until recently.

This little boy likes to sleep under my chin and even if I am sitting upright he will crawl up onto my ample bosom and sit there...of course I lay down or back a little to avoid getting claws in my chest. He is a darling boy.

I added a picture of him laying on my partners chest, he is so young he sleeps a lot. He plays hard and then crashes and burns like you see in the picture.
If that had happened to me, the person that did it would no longer be a family member of mine. I can't imagine what that was like for you.
As for the litter box, you didn't say what size it is, but a small one with very low sides is what you want so the little one doesn't have to climb into it. We always made up a smallish temporary litter box for our new kittens, and kept it close by the area where they spent the most time as you are doing. As already suggested, gradually move it to the regular location once he starts using it regularly. Best advice is to watch him closely while he's on your bed & redirect him to the box if he looks ready to go. He should get the message very quickly.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:23 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Card board cartons for soda make great mini litter boxes. Cut out an entrance like an office in-box (no pun intended!). Rub that little belly after he has eaten und put him in the box, scratch delicately with his fore paws.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:32 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post

My heart goes out to you. I don't understand how people can be so evil.

Are you sure that the litter box isn't too large? He may be looking for a lower spot. I used a square Pyrex baking dish for a tiny kitten who wasn't using a regular box; it worked well. Don't use aluminum; urine will quickly destroy it.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:43 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
I'm having the same problem with my kitten, Oreo, whom I posted about in another thread. I've never had a kitten not use the litter box before, either. This is a first, and I too am not exactly sure what to do. I put him in the box every time after I feed him and I've placed several litter boxes in corners where he seems to like to go. Just when I think he's finally getting it, I find another little poop in a corner. So, tonight I'll put a litter box in that corner, too. At this rate, he'll have to use a litter box because they'll be one every place he steps! He's just so tiny that I think his mon didn't get the chance to train him. Him being so small also worries me. It seems like I'm always trying to get him to eat, so he'll gain a little more weight. Maybe all those meals I keep providing him have something to do with it?

Old 06-12-2014, 09:38 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Many things have happened since I started this thread. I spoke to a woman who helps cats who have no homes in the neighborhood and she mentioned a kitten about 2 blocks away from me that just showed up and she was feeding it along with two adults who have been there for some time. I brought it home and sure enough they are from the same litter. The new one who is gray and white is a little bigger then the little black one. Momma called to him, and he called back, they went back and forth like that until I got them both inside. Momma seems to have tucked her kittens around the neighborhood because I caught her twice take the little black one away from me and hide him behind our house. I have to wonder if she doesn't want to stay inside because there are other kittens out there she has tucked away somewhere that she has to go and check on. She seems happy to see both of them each time she comes in but she won't stay long. She also raises holy hell if you don't get up and let her in on her schedule. I'm going to follow her tomorrow and see if I can find them all. In this area there are plenty of people who are mean to animals. They all deserve a forever home with people to love and be loved by.

My little guy is pooping in the litter box just fine, he still doesn't get it about peeing though. I watch him when he is not laying on me to see what he is doing and of course put him in the pan often. I am hoping that watching his brother will help him learn because he is flawless in his litter box use.

As for the member of my family who did that to my cats, I long ago struck him off the list...If there were ever open season on jerk offs, he would be the first one I would take out. I say jerk off because I don't think I can say what I really think.

One thing I find amazing is how the Momma and two kittens are so completely friendly and purr like I have never heard. The little gray and white one was a little scared of me for about 30 seconds then came to me purring up a storm. I would have thought if they were born out in the open with little or no human contact they wouldn't be so tame. We rescued a litter last summer that had been born nearby but not handled at all until they were about 6 weeks old and it took a little to tame them.

Thanks for all the litter box advice. I will post some more pictures when I can get them off my chest long enough for me to take their picture. Of course now there are two, they both are laying ON me. They are so sweet and affectionate.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:38 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Yes I bet she has others scattered around.I would take one of the kitties or even the mother in a kennel and place it in different yards and listen carefully if you get any answers when mama starts hollering.

Als please don't start the babies out on dry kibble. Now most knowledgeable people (and that doesn't necessarily include vets) are saying that wet food is so much better for them. Dry food does nothing to clean their teeth which is a myth and wet gives them proper moisture in their diet. If you have males it is imperative you feed wet.

good luck

Old 06-13-2014, 09:19 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Young kittens need low litter-boxes and more than one. I used to use old baking pans from Goodwill or The Salvation Army - only .50 each, sometimes less. They can SEE the litter and don't have to climb into a pan. Believe me. it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats