Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2014, 12:53 PM

634 posts, read 897,414 times

Advertisements

Many of you remember me as the new cat lover thanks to my housemates Abyssinian. We have gotten really close, so much so that I am concerned about my upcoming work related trip, I will be gone 3 to 4 months.

I leave in a week, any tips for making constructive use of this time? For the cat I mean, I will be fine. And my housemate will be here of course, the cats original/actual daddy, the cat has only known me a month, so it might not be too terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 01:20 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
The cat has only known you a month? He'll forget you once you clear the end of the street!!! Seriously - you could leave behind a couple of t-shirts that have your scent on them (sleep in them for a night or two and don't wash them), or leave behind a pair of slippers or socks that you wear frequently again with your scent permeating them. You might also call your voicemail and record a message for him - using the tone of voice you normally use with him and saying his name a lot - and have your housemate play it for him occasionally. Really - he'll be fine there with his original catdaddy, all his little needs will be met, and his life will go on. Be prepared to start all over with introductions with him when you get home - he may act a little aloof but he should be back up to speed in no time!!!!

Old 06-14-2014, 01:24 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
I don't think you have much to do/worry about with your housemate being there.

When we go away for an extended time (6 or 7 weeks), first we make sure our friend can/will take care of them. Then we stock up on food/litter, we notify the vet (in writing) that we will be gone and that our friend will be taking care of them. If an emergency comes up, he will bring them in and to bill us. We also give them our contact info. We also let the cop shop know (they used to be literally in our back yard) that we will be out of town and our friend would be coming in to feed the cats. We didn't want to the cops to arrest our friend. And we make sure our friend has a key-well, he has had the key for YEARS. But, now he needs a key to the new place. And of course the is the usual, stop the paper, put a hold/forwarding on the mail, put a hold on garbage collection, etc. etc.

Oh, and I always say a BIG good-bye to each of the furbabies.

Cat

Old 06-14-2014, 05:51 PM

634 posts, read 897,414 times
Ok thanks, glad to know all will be good.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:31 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I'm so glad your cat will stay at the home it's familiar with. I'm sure you will be missed and the reunion will be happy.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:27 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
I was gone for 6 months from my cat. I did nothing to prepare, left no tshirts and left him with my family. When I got back a couple days ago, I walked in the door said hi to him. He stared at me, ran up to me and started jumping at my legs, smelling my feet following me, meowing, staring at me, running around, hiding and watching me from and distance.

Cats don't forget their owners, people who make those kind of assumptions that cats can't remember owners like dogs have never had a cat and don't truly understand them.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:44 AM

24,559 posts, read 10,869,900 times
All will be fine with your house mate still there. Ask for lots of pictures to be sent to you. Have a safe trip.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:34 AM

25 posts, read 39,031 times
I agree with all those who have said the cat would be fine.

1.5 years ago, my husband Dennis and I were in a serious car accident. (Some bozo t-boned us running a red light when we were trying to turn left--long story.) I was okay, but Dennis had a broken hip and was in hospital/rehab for a total of 2 mos. (He's fine now, btw.)

During the first few days he was gone, our cat Logan, who been in the habit of spending many hours sleeping in Dennis's lap, would go in the living room and stare at his empty chair in puzzlement. But that didn't last long, and when Dennis finally came home, Logan looked at him as if to say, "Who are you?" and proceeded to ignore him at first. He seriously didn't seem to remember who my husband was!

He eventually warmed up to Dennis again, and it wasn't long before they were as thick as ever. It just goes to show, though, that cats are not that easily traumatized by one person they're used to being gone. Now, if we and our daughter had all disappeared at the same time, I think he would been upset. But 2 out of the 3 of us were still here, so adjusting to my husband's absence didn't seem like that big of a deal for him.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:17 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
To the OP, I think it's very sweet that you are concerned for the cat's well being. I'm sure she will be fine, but she'll certainly notice you're gone.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:49 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
My main concern is the stability of the home-share situation, with one person who's been pitching in on the rent and/or utility bills being gone that long. I'll stay out of that, though!

Some (OK, essentially all) cats like playing mind games. I think steering clear of a human who's not been home for an extended period is a form of payback. My previous feline - for 19 years - would do this more often than not. So does one of my current pair. Weasie would demonstrate that she was happy to see me again, only to dart outside at the first opportunity and then be gone for hours. Blaliko took a page directly from that playbook. However, Seteria isn't on board with that. "It all depends on the individual (cat.") Since the OP is not the original or primary caregiver I don't see any cause for concern. As others have posted, after "a taste of your own medicine" things will be back to normal in a matter of hours or days.

I think leaving voice mails for a pet, or speaking to them directly over the phone, is silly. But that's me. As for Skype? Presuming that the cat recognizes the person on the screen, they might paw at the screen and be confused beyond that so I don't recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats