Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 05:35 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,125 times

Advertisements

(not for the squeamish) My female kitty alerts me to when she is getting ready to throw up (not fur balls) by howling pitifully. I have not heard of other cats doing this for this reason (she throws up when she has over-eaten her brothers food when I'm not watching.) Usually it gives me time to grab a newspaper and put it front of her. This failed yesterday when she just ran from me while throwing up (what a mess to clean up). Meanwhile, her brother is following her, trying to "cover up" the mess and the dog trying to get to the mess before I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 05:47 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
Yup. My cats will often let out a yowl right before. Sometimes they start smacking their lips right before. When they are in bed and start doing that, without thinking I basically kick them out of bed. Half the time I am asleep and do it without realizing that I am doing it. I had one cat who knew to get down from the bed before getting sick. I wish the others would learn that, too.

Cat

Old 06-21-2014, 05:50 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,766 times
No, but I wish he would. He just heads straight to the nearest rug or carpet and has at it... No warning, no nothin'.

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Just like humans, my past and present cats all start(ed) breathing faster and making coughing sounds when they need(ed) to toss their cookies. No drama beyond that. Blaliko, to her credit, will run to the open porch window in hopes of doing the deed outside. (As if she's worried about messing up furniture, the floor, or a rug - yeah, right! More likely it's the feline instinct to hide illness or discomfort.)
The unfortunate reality here is that the behavior of eating too much or too fast never seems to be something they learn to correct.

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
You do realize that this type of vomiting and/or regurgitation is not normal in cats?

Old 06-21-2014, 06:33 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Yes...........most of my cats have let me know.

MA-OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW MA-OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Terrible sound.

Then comes the HUCK-A HUCK-A HUCK-A noise.........

Then up comes the hairball.

Poor Lily, still at nearly 11 years old, hates upchucking hairballs......and after it's done runs and hides for fear she's done something wrong. To her credit, she does try to get to the kitchen.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:56 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Mine just start yakking away .... Although Cookie only occasionally presents me with a furball, Checkers gobbles his food and then runs around the house like a madcat, and then within a few minutes ralphs up undigested food. Yum.

The late, lamented Kitty Bear, however, would make this curious sound like he was meowing around a mouthful of marbles. It was great to have that alert, because even if we were half asleep we could at least gauge which room in which to tread with caution when we got up.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:26 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Oscar doesn't do much besides the yack yack yack trying to get it up but I've learned when to expect it. He will barf either hairballs or bile early in the morning when he is really hungry. He gets a last meal around 10 p.m. but since he is fed a little bit almost every 2.5 hours during the day I can understand why he thinks he is starving by 5 or 6. If I don't feed him after a few minutes of his harassment he will barf and usually on the carpet or the bed.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:42 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Mine don't meow a warning, but I always know it's coming from the pre-upchuck hacking noises they make. I usually have a few seconds to get them off furniture/bed/rugs if I'm close enough. Not always though. Fortunately it doesn't happen all that often considering all the cats I have. Nearly every time it's a hairball. Two of my 5 rarely throw up, if ever.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:12 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
[quote=CatwomanofV;35334580]Yup. My cats will often let out a yowl right before. Sometimes they start smacking their lips right before. When they are in bed and start doing that, without thinking I basically kick them out of bed. /QUOTE]

Our oldest tends to puke in bed. . so I now keep rags in my nightstand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats