Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 06:48 PM

303 posts, read 540,050 times

Advertisements

Josie-cat had a bad day at the vet. Her allergies have picked up since our recent move cross-country and for the first time she's wheezing. So we go to the new vet today and, along with a mild UTI, she's been diagnosed with feline asthma. After watching videos and reading about it, I can see that the wheezing is definitely asthma.

Now we're trying to fix the things around here to make breathing for her easier. I already dust 2-3 times a week and vacuum at least once a week because Daddy Cat is allergic to the furbabies. The vet mentioned getting a dust-free litter. Have any of you tried it? I'd love some recommendations of brands. We have both PetCo and PetsMart in town so I should be able to find some.

The vet also recommended looking into AeroKat, a device that connects an inhaler to the kitty's face to help with asthma attacks. (Link to product page - AeroKat* | Trudell Medical International*) Has anyone worked with this device before? I know very little about kitty asthma (or human asthma for that matter) so I would love any and every bit of advice y'all have for me and my baby cat. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 08:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
You might be wearing yourself out cleaning for no reason. She might not be allergic to dust. For example, my dog is allergic to ragweed and mold. Keeping the house closed up and the air conditioning on during ragweed season helps. Dusting and vacuuming wouldn't help at all.

Sorry I can't help with your other questions. We manage the asthma by managing the allergies via medication and closing the windows during allergy season. I also massage his neck to open airways when he has an attack, but I doubt that would help with cats.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:31 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,108 times
Sorry to hear Josie's have a rough time. I don't have any experience with asthmatic cats, but I have asthma, and I use a humidifier when the air is dry. Helps me. Maybe it will help Josie.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:05 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
I understood the first post to say Josie-cat has asthma not allergies. So getting rid of dust is very important.

Massaging can help anyone, cats included.

Cats Pride Naturals clumping litter, fragrance free, is extremely low dust. It comes in a jug with a blue label and a green cap.

Feeding an all canned (or raw) diet will help keep her urinary tract healthy, and improve all over health to keep her immune system strong.

I have never used the cat version of a nebulizer but I have read of people using them and the cat seems to tolerate it fairly well.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:35 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,697 times
Alfredo has asthma, so I do have experience dealing with it.

As far as the AeroKat device goes, good luck!

Alfredo let me use it on him [barely] twice, before he wouldn't let me near him with it. After that I just followed him around the house with it until I was afraid he would have trouble breathing.

(I have 2 other ways you can administer the medicine from the inhaler.)

The only reason Alfredo even let me near him with it, was because I had my pet psychic explain to him what it (AeroKat) was, how I would use it, and that it would help him to breathe. Alfredo was very scared when he had trouble breathing.

Turns out Dr. Thomas uses an inhaler, so she was able to come up with a way to administer the medicine from the inhaler without the AeroKat.

She suggested taking a re-sealable, plastic baggie (not a Ziplock) fluffing the baggie so that the sides are not stuck together, then re-sealing it half way.

Then, Shake the inhaler, according to directions, then discharge the inhaler into the baggie, and seal it completely closed. The baggie will have air in it as well as medicine. If it does not expand (with some air inside) there is a leak in the bag, so you need to start over with a different baggie. Cheap baggies won't work for this, buy good/$trong baggies and keep them separate, and don't run out.

Then, Holding the baggie like it was a pastry bag, with the "air" gently pushed into one corner, cut the (small) corner off the baggie, hold that corner up to your cat's mouth while gently squeezing the baggie. BE CAREFUL ... your cat will be moving around, do not get the "air" with the medicine in it, in your cats eyes.

Be careful not to inhale (much of) the medicine yourself, or let it affect other animals in the room. I always move the other cats into another room and make sure there is no breeze.

I then rinse out the baggie and dispose of it where there is no chance of any other animal getting to it. I accidently inhaled some the first time and I was dizzy for awhile.

The second way to administer the medication from the inhaler: WOW. I just learned something! I was looking for the link to a $300+ acrylic box and I found this: Meet Tinkerbell & Chloe! GENIUS! You'd have to modify it some for use with an inhaler. I have a few thoughts if you decide to try "the box".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dr. Thomas Pet Psychic and Animal Communicator Dr. Agnes J. Thomas Pets Tell The Truth charges $35 for 20 minutes. She has been a godsend to my cats. I had one, very troubled cat, Meeko, that had been trying to kill Alfredo for over a year (I had to keep them in separate parts of the house most of the time, and I had a bed in each area so I could sleep with each of them. //www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...n-feliway.html Meeko had physical problems as well, that necessitated him being euthanized May 2013.

Dr. Thomas stayed on the phone, to be with Meeko, the entire time, no charge.

Sorry I got a little off topic, but she is so much a part of our lives, I can't imagine having to have dealt with some of the more challenging, or sad aspects of my cats lives without her.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I understood the first post to say Josie-cat has asthma not allergies. So getting rid of dust is very important.
Re-read the first sentence of the OP's post (below). Allergies make asthma worse. Keeping allergens under control improves quality of life, and the OP's cat might not be allergic to dust. Since she was already on top of her dust because of her husband's allergies, it's likely something else is exasperating the asthma instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matryoshka4811 View Post
Josie-cat had a bad day at the vet. Her allergies have picked up since our recent move cross-country and for the first time she's wheezing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
Sorry to hear Josie's have a rough time. I don't have any experience with asthmatic cats, but I have asthma, and I use a humidifier when the air is dry. Helps me. Maybe it will help Josie.
My asthma gets worse when it's humid. I'm battling it right now this summer. I feel like I can't breath because the humidity has been over 60% for weeks. Cold dry air can be a problem too. Keeping humidity at a moderate level is important for asthma. .

Respiratory Therapy Cave: High & low humidity both bad for asthma

Old 07-03-2014, 08:19 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes;35494554 My asthma gets worse when it's humid. I'm battling it right now this summer. I feel like I can't breath because the humidity has been over 60% for weeks. Cold dry air can be a problem too. Keeping humidity at a moderate level is important for asthma. .

[url=http://respiratorytherapycave.blogspot.com/2008/06/high-humidity-bad-for-asthma.html
Respiratory Therapy Cave: High & low humidity both bad for asthma[/url]
My vet told me not to use a humidifier because it would [indeed] make it more difficult for Alfredo to breathe, and we live in Colorado which very dry.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
My vet told me not to use a humidifier because it would [indeed] make it more difficult for Alfredo to breathe, and we live in Colorado which very dry.
Good to know! I guess that means I have the asthma of a cat. I feel like I'm suffocating in humid weather.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:13 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Allergies or asthma, the dust will make things worse. The way you dust matters too. Dry dusting simply puts the dust back into the air, and aerosol sprays like pledge can also create problems.. Using one of those electrostatic dusting clothes will help a lot, but I'd up it to daily, rather than 2-3 times a week.

And get a special filter for the vacuum also.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:09 PM

303 posts, read 540,050 times
You all are godsend! Thanks so much for your advice and concern for Josie. We'll be trying out different methods and if we hit on something really successful, I'll chime back in. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats