Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 08:52 PM

97 posts, read 147,547 times

Advertisements

Well we've definitely tried wet food, walked away from it. We got a lot of samples from pet stores here, all sorts. I've even put it on her food or tried to incorporate it. No luck. I do know of pet owners here that just fish for their salmon and feed the scraps to their pets, which our vet has assured us is awesome. (that is the one softer food we have noticed she loves)
No we haven't declawed her. Our old cat we did a long long time ago and we did have some problems with going in the wrong spot but nothing like this as of recently.
Our litter box first sweeps all solids away, liquifies them in a separate area and then washes the litter. Then fully dries the litter.
No kudzu, that's somewhat correct for our area. We have lots of animals that would love her as a tasty snack. (live in Fairbanks AK)
When we advised our vet about the large amount of water (and urine) we were advised that this is more common to pets in this area but actually to not feed wet foods as it's bad for their teeth. (in fact the vet gave us several small bags of hard treats that are good for her teeth)
I can say, our old cat drank more here, but didn't drink as much as this one does. But then my last cat passed away at a very old age (almost 19 yrs old) with Kidney renal failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 09:04 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
somebody - Catmom? somebody come on here and give links to Dr. Lisa Pierson's book and other's who are educated about proper cat diet. Hard food only CONTRIBUTES more sticky residue to cat teeth. It does not clean them. Also be aware most vets get very little nutritional training in school and what they do get is paid for by purina and other manufacturers of dry kibble. Let me guess...the samples your vet gave you he also sells!!!
I also doubt cats in Alaska drink more or less than cats in the lower 48. and their nutritional needs are the same everywhere. A fish only diet is not good for your cat. Honestly look for another vet and ask for lab tests.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:27 PM

50 posts, read 63,469 times
never let cats out first of all

in or out no in between

small kitten have to be put in the litter box a few times

also try litter boxes where she is peeing

you are messing up all the training by doing in and out they dont know how to behave

also summer is heat season and season for Ferrel cats just running everywhere

put a motion camera by door or window it may be a cat coming close to the house or windows yards whatever

any age not spayed or nurtured feels threatened by this its a invasion of there territory and they feel they need to mark and defend

enzyme based cleaners do the best on pet urine

and dont just give them a dumb scratching post anyone her envy those huge fancy cat trees

wast of money go outs side or to a friends find a dead branch not rotten dead pick the size to want and will fit your place

pick how many branches you want it needs branches

now clean it up and put a x shaped base enough to support it good or anchor to the wall along with the x if there toys fall often they wont use

walmart has tubes with holes in the cat area some one hole some two

get whats called lag bolts now find where you want these tubes mark and predrill it

use a couple over sized washers the bottom of the tubes is cheap wood my cat killed hers lots of times

just get some rough rope and wrap areas use your imagination make it how you want and custom for your cat

i lost mine moved into small house it sucked she loved that thing

no kudzu wet food only read before you post please Google it wet food only diets will rot there teeth

they need hard and wet balance i give mine wet once a week or she throws fits they need tarter control

hard food works the teeth the gums and like us pressure and strength to jaw and teeth

i worked for humain society was Ferrel cat person because i was only one who could take bites and claws

i worked with a vet i have a 18 year old female i raised from a 2 year old Ferrel cat to the sweetheart she is now

im no expert but i know behavior habits how to change it and there are solutions to any problem most are owner problems of some sort

but i dont claim to be a expert get that clear no matter how i come off

Old 07-08-2014, 11:45 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
No hard food does not clean their teeth. hard food can contribute to UTI especially in males. I'll find the links in the morning.

one now

http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/w...canned-food-2/

Last edited by no kudzu; 07-08-2014 at 11:54 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 10:39 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtbell View Post
Catsmom,
Y
She's got one EXPENSIVE litter box because shes urinates A LOT. She can fill up one of those typical litter boxes and have the litter almost floating after 6 days. Ewww.

Are you saying you don't scoop the clumps of urine and feces for SIX DAYS????? You're supposed to scoop once or twice a day at the least. I hope I'm misunderstanding you that you expect her to use a box already full of urine clumps for 6 days before you scoop or replace the litter.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:24 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtbell View Post
She's got one EXPENSIVE litter box because shes urinates A LOT. She can fill up one of those typical litter boxes and have the litter almost floating after 6 days. Ewww. We got her a catgenie so the urine and poo is washed away twice a day.

Our past Kitty of 18 yrs every so often used to pee in incorrect areas but hers were usually do to us going on vacation
Based on this post, it honestly sounds like your cats are peeing in other places because their boxes aren't cleaned enough. I'm sorry, but that isn't the cats fault. I have a cat who is meticulous. If his box isn't scooped at least once a day, he will go elsewhere...usually on the sofa. Cats aren't vindictive; if your previous cat was only having accidents when you were on vacation.....when the box wasn't scooped as much as usual....you get the point. When you said she could fill up a box in 6 days.....uh, yea. Where would you go if the only toilet in the house was filled to the rim with feces and pee? We've all walked into that stall in the public restroom....yuck! It's the same for your cat!

Even with the automatic litter boxes, the SMELL is still there even if the solids aren't. My advice is to get scooping!!!!!

Old 07-09-2014, 07:58 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
I've heard that some cats don't like mechanized/automatic litter boxes on a good day. Throw in not scooping or cleaning it enough and you might have a real problem. Heck, my cats won't even tolerate a covered litter box. Keeping the litter scooped & reasonably fresh is the best way to avoid an even worse mess elsewhere in the house. For the record, I have 3 standard litter boxes that are scooped 3 (sometimes 4) times a day, and changed & cleaned about once a month. It's really not that much work, and my cats are happy. If I were the OP, I'd lose the fancy automatic thing and go to a regular type box (and keep it clean). I'd be willing to bet the problem would go away.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:05 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Edited to delete double post.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:48 PM

Sorry, the floating litter was on a day when we had to use those crystals instead of scoopable. We typically scoop morning and night but that week all we could get was fresh step non clumping.
Oh and our old cat actually would pee on (only dh) belongings and it would be usually when we returned. She was very good about letting it be known that she was angry. Her and dh would get into it. Lol
so got our new cat tested and results came back this afternoon. No uti. Vet advised due to her age it sounds like a behaviour issue. Now few other updates. At night now she stays upstairs with all of us, her food and her water and litter box. She is allowed to go downstairs only when one of us is there and able to watch her. We have removed all potted trees and we have also covered up the carpeting in that one area with bubble wrap and tinfoil. She was not a happy camper with that but the great thing is after much complaining she walked back il voluntarily and went potty. In her litterbox. We have noticed a much bigger mess of litter around her box as of late which is a good sign that shes using her box again(yes we clean up the litter morning and night that she has scattered all around the upstairs. Shes a sweetheart but shes a messy cat in eating and in her bathroom habits.) So it seems that so far this is working. We intend to pull up all the carpet right next to the patio where she has been fighting to go out to (and peeing on the door frame and carpet and plan to put linoleum instead. As for our expensive trees, I hope I can find some pine cones soon to put in the pots to keep her out of them.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:55 PM

Ugh, sorry this is what I get for typing on a kindle. So it seems like we might have found a solution in the meantime I try to not grind my teeth too much, nor scream at my son and husband while trying to keep an eye on the kitten every minute. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats