Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 06:58 PM

97 posts, read 147,618 times

Advertisements

Okay so starting from the beginning. This is a newer kitten, got her in Jan, no problems, never had problems with peeing outside of her litter box or whatever. She was a model cat UNTIL Spring/Summer started. We have a garden outside and for a while we would allow her to come outside with us, hang out on the deck while we worked. She knew she wasn't supposed to leave the deck so we would shoo her back onto the deck. No problems, etc. Well suddenly we started catching her more and more heading straight outside (this really started as of May) and suddenly we caught her a few times peeing outside on whatever planter/plant/garden had enough space for her to pee in.
So we realized "hhmm, she must be getting confused" so we decided "no more outside time for you"
Almost immediately afterwards she would pace in front of the door angrily meowing. About a week to two weeks after that the peeing on the floor started. This was interspersed with peeing any planted tree in the house. We have since put orange peels on some of the potted trees and so of course the peeing stopped in the trees, but now all she will do is pee on the floor and that is it. She elminates (no 2) only in the litter box, but eeing is been on the carpet right near the door she so wants to go out of. We live in Fairbanks AK so I can only imagine her
Okay so starting from the beginning. This is a newer kitten, got her in Jan, no problems, never had problems with peeing outside of her litter box or whatever. She was a model cat UNTIL Spring/Summer started. We have a garden outside and for a while we would allow her to come outside with us, hang out on the deck while we worked. She knew she wasn't supposed to leave the deck so we would shoo her back onto the deck. No problems, etc. Well suddenly we started catching her more and more heading straight outside (this really started as of May) and suddenly we caught her a few times peeing outside on whatever planter/plant/garden had enough space for her to pee in.
So we realized "hhmm, she must be getting confused" so we decided "no more outside time for you"
Almost immediately afterwards she would pace in front of the door angrily meowing. Our cat is very sweet tempered, she's definitely a Princess, yet the first time she threw this "temper tantrum" we were all amazed, she rarely complains and cries about something, yet here she was screaming, looking at the door, looking at us, looking at the door. About a week to two weeks after that the peeing on the floor started. This was interspersed with peeing any planted tree in the house. We have since put orange peels on some of the potted trees and so of course the peeing stopped in the trees, but now all she will do is pee on the floor and that is it. She elminates (no 2) only in the litter box, but peeing is been on the carpet right near the door she sooo wants to go out of. We live in Fairbanks AK so I can only imagine her come winter when she can't go outside because its negative 30 or 40 out.
I don't have enough orange peels yet so that is out for the back door, at first we thought earlier this weekend that we might have solved the issue when we got some cat urine enzyme cleaner but she peed buckets right through that. I only discovered today how much she has peed because I had put some very strong smelling carpet baking soda mix there and by 1pm it was like mud.
We have recently had her checked out at the vet and all is good, health wise. So now we're stuck. Do we just let her run outside, pee outside so she doesn't stress but is then eaten by a bear or some other wild animal or do we keep her indoors and watch her ruin our carpet (which stinks massively now) because she's stressed.
Oh we have even put her food and water right where she was going, and her bed, and her scratching post. All of it. And instead what she does is simply lie down right near it and pee, right near her food, water, or whatever.
She is such a cute cat, really love her and I only want her safe but I get the feeling that its become a power struggle of her saying "I will pee here because I WANT TO GO OUTSIDE" vs me saying "No, you can't go outside when we are gone for the day, No you can't try to hunt dogs bigger than yourself or birds or whatever"
Need advice, what else can I try here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 03:45 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
We need more information to help.

Is she spayed?

What kind of diagnostic tests did the vet do?

How old is she?

How often do you play with her?

How many litter boxes do you have?

What do you feed her?

Have you considered cat proofing the yard (or deck)? I recently cat proofed my porch so my cats can come out with me when I read out there.

Or training her to harness so she can still come out with you? (my cats are also harness trained to come out in the yard with me)

Old 07-07-2014, 09:50 AM

369 posts, read 759,839 times
I have the same issue with one of my cats. The family I got him from raised him as a mostly outdoor cat, so that's what he knows and he doesn't understand why I try to deny him his freedom. A Feliway diffuser in the room he usually pees on the floor in helped a little but the only thing that stopped it was letting him go outside every day. I'm using past tense because last month he disappeared for 16 days, and I didn't think I'd ever see him again. So now I'm back to keeping him inside and cleaning up pee almost daily. It is absolutely a power struggle and I wish I had a solution for you.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:31 PM

Catsmom,
Yes, she's spayed
Not exactly sure of the tests the vet ran, they didn't take any urine, blood or feces. Just did a physical exam.
Shes just under a yr old, her birthday is in November.
She's got one EXPENSIVE litter box because shes urinates A LOT. She can fill up one of those typical litter boxes and have the litter almost floating after 6 days. Ewww. We got her a catgenie so the urine and poo is washed away twice a day.
We usually get to play with her in the evenings, we cuddle with her in the mornings.
She gets Science diet.
Our past Kitty of 18 yrs every so often used to pee in incorrect areas but hers were usually do to us going on vacation and she would take it out on my husband.
Today we let her come downstairs when we got home. She saw her area where she has been going potty (headed almost straight for it) but then got visibly bothered by the fact that it was covered by tinfoil. So, disappointedly she headed upstairs and used the litter box. If we weren't so frustrated by her actions lately it would be funny.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:34 AM

If your vet didn't do a urinalysis, how do you know she doesn't have a urinary tract infection? Why didn't the vet do a urinalysis? She certainly has all the symptoms of a UTI or other illness. "Flooding" a litter box is not normal.

Take her to a different vet, one who knows how to test for urinary tract infection.

I didn't mean what brand I meant, canned or dry. If she is peeing that much on a dry diet, something is definitely wrong. Cats on a dry diet are dehydrated, and that much pee is not normal.

Feed a canned diet to keep her urinary tract healthy and for all over better health. No dry. But I'd be looking for a new vet and get that urinalysis done.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:05 PM

Hhmm, well when we told the vet about how much she pees they asked how much she drinks.
Ever since we've had her (she was 7 weeks old when we got her) she would drink massive amounts of water, and then of course, pee massive amounts. That was originally what we questioned about. We'd never seen a cat drink so much water and pee so much and she was so tiny!
We'll make an appointment then and see if something is up.
Dry food btw. She doesn't like canned food at all. Turns her nose up at it.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:37 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,923,274 times
Have you considered putting a box right near the door? You could add a little of the garden soil on top of the litter to entice her. Very slowly move the box to where you want it (as in, move it an inch or two each day). Then, once the box is where you want it, slowly back off on the garden soil you add. The key is to do this slowly over a few weeks.

You may want to try a different kind of litter box too. We use plastic storage tubs, which come in so many sizes, and cut away part of a side so the cat can easily get in and out.

What kind of litter do you use?

Old 07-08-2014, 03:48 PM

You can transition her to a canned diet. Takes a little work, that's all. So much better for her. It's not normal for a cat to drink that much. Means she's dehydrated. Cats have a low thirst drive. A dry diet is so foreign to what they should eat, is why she drinks so much. It's not normal.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:03 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
Try putting lots of litter boxes around the house, especially near places she has peed.

Once she starts using them, slowly remove a few boxes over time.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:30 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
So many red flags
no matter how expensive your cat tray if she isn't using it she doesn'
t like it. is it one of those which automatically sweeps away? maybe she doesn't like the sound or the movement. Every cat should have 2 litter trays so get cheap one or if she will grow to be a big kitty get a few of those under the bed storage boxes and use that when she gets older but still 2 boxes per cat.

has she been declawed? Don't do it. She may be in pain and not scratching in her litter.
DON'T let her be outside unless on leash. Just not worth all the dangers.

Feed her only WET CANNED food. look on our archives to see endless threads about proper ways to feed a healthy cat.

For pity sake...how can you say she was checked out by vet if no lab tests were done. Most of us complain our vets are test happy but you have a vet who didn't take blood (diabetes) or urine (UTI ). These tests are crucial to find out if anything is wrong. stupid vet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats