Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 05:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,177 times

Advertisements

I don't know what's wrong with my cat. She goes outside sometimes, and was recently in heat. She came back with 2 bloody marks on her back I assumed was from a Tom cat. She stayed in the back room for almost 2 whole days and when she finally came out she looked like she'd been bleeding from her nose. She's dropped alot of weight over the past few days, and she's losing a lot of fur, but she is drinking some now. Otherwise she just lays around in the same spot all the time. She is getting closer to me but still won't let me pet her. She hacks all the time like she has a hair ball but can't bring anything up. She looks so bad to me but doesn't act like she's in pain. I don't know what to do. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 06:03 AM

11,183 posts, read 19,336,877 times
Take your cat to the vet. You should have done that already. And once she's healthy enough, get her spayed. Why are you letting an unspayed cat roam outside?

Old 07-08-2014, 06:05 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,586,380 times
I couldn't agree more with catsmom. Take the cat to vet, see what is wrong and when she gets better, get her spayed.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:19 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,259,403 times
Cats rarely act like they are in pain because "in the wild" showing pain or weakness makes them vulnerable.

You must have already realized, on some level, that your cat has been badly hurt and you must have a vet look at her immediately.

There is no doubt that she is in pain, she has bloody wounds and she is not eating and she was hiding. She is not going to magically "get better". It is your responsibility to get her medical care IMMEDIATELY.

Do you have anyone that can help you get her into a cat carrier, to take her to a vet, NOW. If you can't get her in a cat carrier, then you must find a vet that makes house calls. IMMEDIATELY.

I'm not even going to get into why you let her outside, especially when she was in heat, ok maybe I am. Why didn't you have her spayed? What did you plan to do about the kittens she would have had, if she hadn't been attacked and seriously wounded. Meaning ... she has been attacked, and is seriously wounded.

Not being able to afford to take her to a vet, is NOT AN OPTION, she needs immediate medical attention, I don't understand how ... Sorry, I just don't understand.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:45 AM

18,432 posts, read 34,215,793 times
Your cat needs to be seen by the vet. I hope she recovers and gets to feeling better and after that, I would go ahead and have her fixed. Usually there are programs for low cost to no cost spay/neuter in most all areas. If you are in an area that does not offer that, you can use programs from towns outside of your own.

Once your kitty is all feeling better and spayed (and all during the time from now until forever) I would not let her outside. Keep your kitty strictly indoors. This way, she will not have a chance of having outdoor injuries or being harmed by another cat or any other animal out there, or being hit by a car.

Take your cat to the vet today if you have not already. This should be considered an emergency, and when you call, make sure they know that.

Again, I hope your kitty gets to feeling better really soon, and if you don't want this to happen again, she needs to be spayed and kept inside.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:11 AM

2,973 posts, read 3,868,588 times
ITA with the comments above. PLEASE take her to the vet--ASAP.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:36 PM

23,875 posts, read 10,243,014 times
Have you taken her to the vet by now?

Old 07-09-2014, 11:48 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryliegh View Post
I don't know what's wrong with my cat. She goes outside sometimes, and was recently in heat. She came back with 2 bloody marks on her back I assumed was from a Tom cat....
Not to be unkind... but no one can diagnose her problem on a cat Forum. There are no veterinarians here and even if there were, they wouldn't be able to give you a diagnosis or run tests from a Forum. You should have taken her to the vet as soon as you realized something was wrong. Why wasn't she spayed? There are low-cost spay/neuter clinics almost everywhere. She was most likely hit by a car but that is just a guess. GET HER TO THE VET ASAP!!!

Old 07-09-2014, 01:04 PM

18,432 posts, read 34,215,793 times
Well, we all know her cat needs to see a vet, but maybe she didn't. That was her first post and she came here looking for help.

She obviously needed advice and was worried about her cat. I wish people wouldn't have berated her.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:11 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,259,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Well, we all know her cat needs to see a vet, but maybe she didn't. That was her first post and she came here looking for help.

She obviously needed advice and was worried about her cat. I wish people wouldn't have berated her.
I decided to answer her post because no one else had replied and I didn't want her to be "alone". By the time I finished my reply there were two other replies.

"She came back with 2 bloody marks on her back I assumed was from a Tom cat. She stayed in the back room for almost 2 whole days and when she finally came out she looked like she'd been bleeding from her nose. She's dropped alot of weight over the past few days, and she's losing a lot of fur ....

"Bloody marks, Bleeding, 2 whole days, bleeding from her nose" ... "She looks so bad to me"

I showed great restraint, I humanely chose not to address the "hacking all the time", I answered her questions, (while my stomach churned) I even wondered if perhaps she was Very young ... but it became increasingly difficult to reconcile "BLOOD" with "I don't know what to do. Any ideas?" It ended up feeling like she was hoping to not have to take her to a doctor.

If she is under the age of 8, then I apologize for speaking to her as if she were older.

When I began my reply I didn't realize that I would decide it was necessary to advocate for her cat ... rather than worry about her feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats