Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 11:28 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
She's beautiful! I've always loved torties.

I love torties, too. My Brandy was a tortie.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 05:46 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Pretty kitty. I used to have a tortie, she was one of the 12 that I had at one time.

Last edited by moved; 07-13-2014 at 06:22 PM..

Old 07-13-2014, 08:25 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
PAhippo - Here's a link to a previous post with a picture of her....

//www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...l#post34493411

=^..^= Sometimes all we can do is pray and ask that god help us make the right decision and then put it in his hands. For some reason stray animals always find my husband and I (weekly) and we all know our limitations (I'm at my limit now).
With the four to care for now I really don't desire another cat. I'm at my limit with the four.

Quote:
So all I can do at this point, if I can't find an owner or rescue, is pray that god watches over his babies and if and when he decides it's their time that he makes it as painless as possible. I know it sounds morbid but sometimes that all we can do :-(
Sad but true.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:55 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I read these. Now the problem is Sheba and Callie have not hit it off. They try and fight through the bars and screened deck-Catio. There's growling and hissing and yowling. We can't bring Sheba in as there is no way to keep them safely apart. And no way to know if they'd really get into a serious fight. We're talking all territorial adult cats now that take their home turf seriously.

This would be no problem if we didn't leave for the winter or had someone to feed Sheba while we're gone. She could continue to live in the garage where she'd be snug in her box of rags. I still haven't found out what happened to our neighbors. The house is still dark and I haven seen their cat in weeks. This is the cat-from-hell I've mentioned before. A large tough as nails black and white outdoor-only cat who even attacks tom-cats and drives them off.

Keep in mind that my indoor-only cats have to share a 28' X 8' RV w/one slideout for the winter months. Much much smaller than our 1800 sq foot house. It's very crowded and the cats do get on each others nerves when we snow-bird. There's more bickering among them. And they do fight. Though we break up what starts to turn serious we have come home to find bloody injuries on them - usually on Zebulon and Zephyr. Though that seems to be a more rare occurrence as time passes.

My vet is still against this as all it takes is one bite and the virus is passed on. Another thing the vets are concerned about is Sheba passing it on to other cats in my neighborhood if I continue to let her live outside here. I can't argue that point with them as some cat passed it on to her. It appears the cats in these articles were all friendly with each other with no fighting going on.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Pretty kitty. I used to have a tortie, she was one of the 12 that I had at one time.
She is pretty with her tabbytorty coloring but her coat isn't in great shape. Though her gums are much less inflamed than they were, her coat remains lacking in life and luster. She is not gaining any weight. Some days she has a good appetite and some days she must feast on a few moles or field mice as she eats little. Fortunately she shows little interest in hunting birds. I've had other cats that didn't go for birds either.

Last edited by =^..^=; 07-21-2014 at 01:38 AM..

Old 07-21-2014, 03:45 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
A cat with the kind of mouth trouble you describe is probably not very successful at hunting. How cats react to each other through a window is not necessarily indicative of how they will get along in the same living space. Not trying to talk you into anything, just stating the view point.

If you are just planning to leave her when you leave in December you might as well just plan to have her euthanized if no other home is available by then. Abandoning her now would just be cruel, and probably illegal as, since you are feeding her and have had her chipped, she is your cat.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:56 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
A cat with the kind of mouth trouble you describe is probably not very successful at hunting. How cats react to each other through a window is not necessarily indicative of how they will get along in the same living space. Not trying to talk you into anything, just stating the view point.

This is true. My mother took care of my cats when I stationed overseas and couldn't take them with me. She had two cats at the time. Her cat would be outside & my cat was inside and they would hiss & growl at each other through the window. Sometimes they would look like they were trying to fight with the window between them. Then her cat would come in and the two of them would totally ignore each other.

Cat

Old 07-21-2014, 11:40 AM

30,521 posts, read 16,213,477 times
She has such beautiful eyes.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
This is true to some extent. But how can anyone know? Would you take a chance with your cats to see if they'd fight or not? What would you do when you left the house and couldn't watch them? I have no unused room in my house to confine her to. It only takes one bite to pass the virus on. After all, how did SHE get the virus? She is successful hunting as I've seen her with both moles and mice, though she don't eat them all. There's a dead one in the garage I forgot to get rid of....

Quote:
If you are just planning to leave her when you leave in December you might as well just plan to have her euthanized if no other home is available by then. Abandoning her now would just be cruel, and probably illegal as, since you are feeding her and have had her chipped, she is your cat.
I'm aware of that. I know my vet feels euthanasia is best. If she stays outside she can spread the virus to other cats. If I bring her in she can spread the virus to my cats. Sadly she's like a typhoid Mary. I know you feel she wont bite them in a fight but as my vet says, there's no way to know what will happen if she's brought inside. What do you think would happen? Remember these aren't kittens or youngsters. They're all territorial adult cats. I can't be here 24/7 to watch them. I know mine get into fights once in awhile.

If she does come inside I would have to have the Snap tests done on my 4 cats every 6 to 9 months to see if they got the virus. The vaccine isn't recommended since the virus mutates at such a fast rate.

The sanctuaries for FIV cats are like warehouses for cats. No one adopts them. It's a stagnant situation. They stay there until they die. The people running these places want donations but none will take any more cats in. I've looked into every one recommended. And none of the cat Rescues I've contacted will take her either. She's like a Pariah. Like a leper of the cat world. Just mention FeLV or FIV and you can sense the rejection.

Last edited by =^..^=; 07-22-2014 at 12:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats