Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 09:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

We had a Persian who needed a bath every now and then and it was a major ordeal with screaming and scratching and much pain all the way around.
Look at this calm, cool and collected cat....unreal.

Forget EVERYTHING You Know About Cats! This May Be The Cutest Thing I’ve Ever Seen! | PetFlow Blog - The most interesting news for pet parents around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 06:11 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
We have always taken Mimi (and Olivia when she was alive) to a groomer. However, not many cat groomers are around here, so we have been debating doing it ourselves. Mimi is part Maine Coon.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:21 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
I used to give my cats baths all the time-that was when I had 4 of them it was like taking 4 baths myself. Not ONE of them sat as patient as that cat did. In fact, they all fought me.

Cat

Old 07-15-2014, 10:27 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
That's truly amazing. All of my cats get upset at the tiny spot of wetness between their shoulder blades when getting flea treated. For me, any attempt at something like this would have serious consequences.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:45 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
My white angora, Elsa, would jump into the tub as I was running my own bath! So I had to make sure the bathroom door was closed so she could not jump in.

When it was time for her own bath...she'd jump in.. stand on the mat and wait for me to pour the water down the back of her neck. We called bathtime "Ooh......Ahhhhhhhhh". She understood that to mean bathtime.

All my other cats......it's a chore. I've found it easier to bathe them in my double kitchen sink. That way I can scruff them better.

A friend of mine had two black and white cats - unrelated to one another - who liked to sit in the kitchen sink - along with the dishes which were soaking!

Old 07-15-2014, 10:48 AM

Elvira used to play with my toes when I was the tub. She would put her paw in the water up to her armpit. And I take some REALLY HOT baths.

Cat

Old 07-15-2014, 10:50 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Elvira used to play with my toes when I was the tub. She would put her paw in the water up to her armpit. And I take some REALLY HOT baths.

Cat

Cats are curious creatures and that's why I love them.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:53 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I had a cat that would jump in with me and lay on my stomach while I soaked in the tub. Then she'd knead and spoil the mood!

I once tried to bathe three cats for fleas - one at a time, of course. Two of them were just too hard to deal with and the third just sat in the water and cried. Poor thing.

The two cats I have now have no problem being outside in pouring rain or snow. Doesn't seem to bother them. It's all about different personalities and genetics, I think.

I'm guessing that if you plan to bathe your cats it's best to start out early while they are kittens and to be careful about gradually adding water as quietly as possible so as not to frighten them with the noise or a sudden plop into water.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post

Cats are curious creatures and that's why I love them.

I was surprised that she continued doing this after the time she joined me in the tub-not on purpose. lol. But, as she is getting older, she didn't do it as much and now we are in a place that she can't really sit on the side of the tub anymore.

Cat

Old 07-15-2014, 12:02 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We had a Persian who needed a bath every now and then and it was a major ordeal with screaming and scratching and much pain all the way around.
Look at this calm, cool and collected cat....unreal.

Forget EVERYTHING You Know About Cats! This May Be The Cutest Thing I’ve Ever Seen! | PetFlow Blog - The most interesting news for pet parents around the world.
Awwww, what a sweet li'l kitty!

I don't have cats ( we have pet birds who are out with us when we're home, that and being allergic to cat hair precludes having cats, LOL), so I'm not all that familiar with the vicissitudes of being owned by cats, but I just wondered if that kitty is as mellow when they try to get him/her into a carrier for a vet trip or other journey? I ask that because I was entertained some time ago by tales from one of my cat-loving friends about how she maneuvered her cats into travel carriers when they needed to go to the vet- not an easy task. And I've read comments about cat owners saying they've had to cancel several vet appointments because they couldn't get the cat into the carrier- my friend laughed and said that had happened with her cats too.

My friend told me about having to move her living room furniture to the middle of the room, as her cat would go behind the furniture, jump up on curtain rods and tops of cabinets and tall bookcases so she'd have to climb up and try and get him, the cat would jump down so off they went. And on and on, she told me she'd have to start about 3 hours before the appointment to have the time to chase the cat all over. Sometimes she could catch him, sometimes not- and there was one time she had an asthma attack and had to let the cat have his own way, and cancel the vet appointment. And apparently vets are well acquainted with owners having to cancel appointments because they can't catch their cats.

But then, she told me there was a secret to getting the cat in the carrier once she had a hold of him- I'm imagining the cat's legs splayed out to make him too wide to fit through the opening, but she said you grab the cats legs and hold them together, or something like that, to keep him from spreading them out. She says you upend the carrier so the door is at the top, and holding the cat like that, drop him gently into the carrier- it's not as easy for him to jump right back out the door in a flash like he can if the door is on the side, and you can quickly shut the door.

Whew, that must be fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats