Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:05 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Our cats only receive the full round kitten shots, after that - no vaccines.

They get routine checkups once a year, and up it to every 6 months when they hit 12 years old.

Those with medical issues go every time something creeps up, so those visits are their "routine" visits.
I do the exact routine. My vets suggested the twice yearly check-ups after 12 when I had my older cats (and my vets never pushed tests, etc. unless necessary, so I have total trust after 20+ years with the same group).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 11:41 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Generally once a year for my 3 cats (and dog), but occasionally will go a tad longer between visits... quite frankly, I can't comfortably afford more than that! Plus I've had cats for most of my life, and can usually tell when a non-routine visit might be needed. I'm not really the hypochondriac type, either, especially when it comes to my own health. My pets most definitely see the doctor more than I do, lol.

However, now that Kona is 17 years old and hyperthyroid, she's been going more often - like 3-4 times in the last 2 years? She's due for another blood test soon, to see how the meds are working, but I haven't made that appointment yet. Also wanted to add that when her health begins to seriously decline, I've already decided not to take extreme measures to keep her here. I love her, but she's had a good long life and deserves a dignified (and comfortable) end. That's just my view, and YMMV.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:27 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Do you six monthers go to your own doctors for physicals twice a year?
Comparing time between cats/humans doesn't really work. My 20 year old cat was ~100 in human years.

If he had seen the vet once a year, that would be comparable to a human seeing a doctor once every 5 years! Most of us aren't that lucky. And when we get older, there is so much more to monitor. the same is true for cats.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:12 PM

93 posts, read 225,879 times
The cats are two and two and a half. They are both exclusively indoors but we go in and out and bring things from outside in to the house.

They go in for routine appointments every six months - blood work and vaccinations are yearly, the in between visit is a general checkup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Do you six monthers go to your own doctors for physicals twice a year?
For a simple physical, otherwise good health? Nope, but I don't age at the same rate as a cat does either. If I did, I would.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:37 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Honestly, I'm surprised at how many of you take your kitties in every six months -- especially the poster just above ^^^ whose kitties are only two years old and indoor-only. My vet has never suggested every-six-month visits -- not even for my oldest cats.

I'll be taking most of mine in on August 28th, so I'll see how they're doing.

(Note, of course I take them in off-schedule whenever anything seems to warrant it, like Hansel's eye "issue" a year or two ago!)

Old 08-04-2014, 10:14 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Every three years for a rabies booster as required by law in my state. We take them in if they get sick or need veterinary care. As indoor-only cats they don't get yearly "wellness checkups" so many vets these days want to do to generate more income.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:17 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
They go for their yearly exams or if something is the matter. Of course when we first got Charlie we had to take him more often for his shots.

He is actually due right now but I am back in the hospital again! I made it five days and now I'm back!

Old 08-05-2014, 08:13 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
Sorry to hear that Pikantari!!! Sending well wishes your way!

As for how often we take ours....their first year they were in the vet's all the time due to various issues stemming from having been homeless ferals.

Now that most are over a year I haven't had them back in yet since they have been very healthy. I will probably only take them in for their rabies and when I notice any signs of issues. Once they get a little older I will probably go to once a year and when/if they get a certain condition I will go in as often as the vet deems necessary to fix, monitor or control their condition.

Our dogs go yearly and when they show any signs of needing care. They are large breed dogs with a much shorter life span and are predisposed to certain conditions. Plus they go for walks outdoors twice a day and spend time in the backyard when they desire. So they are constantly eating dirt, deer rabbit and cat poop (thankfully they NEVER eat our cats poop in the litter boxes) and do a lot of horsing around with each other so there are always things that go on with them.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:42 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Under age 10, once a year
10+, every 6 months

Old 10-08-2014, 11:09 PM

20 posts, read 18,981 times
I plan to take Arya to a pet clinic to get her shots. I will take her to the vet when she is sick, and when I get her spayed at 16 weeks. She is currently 10 weeks. Then probably once every 2 years or so until she hits 9-10 years, then more like once every 6-9 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats