Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 01:08 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
As for the cat peeing on the clothes, he is marking his territory. Since the clothes smells like your daughter, he is saying that your daughter is his territory.

Cat
Thanks Cat, that's exactly what I thought. He can have her! ha ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 03:56 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
That's a good answer, but there are a few general themes I think one should consider with a cat that's peeing inappropriately.

- The cat thinks that whatever it is...clothing, shoes, a pillow, you name it...needs to smell more like cat. Possible reasons: marking territory, marking an area as "safe" because the cat is anxious or fearful, covering up strange scents with safe scent. So just as plausible as the cat marking daughter or daughter's clothing as his territory...is a possibility that some smell associated with daughter or her clothing bothers him, and he's neutralizing it the only way he can.

- Peeing in the other place is somehow safer or more comfortable than going in the box. This is where one troubleshoots with a.) Is it a medical problem? If an animal tries in the box, it hurts, then goes elsewhere and it hurts less, that's instant training. If a cat gets declawed, they will often avoid the box for obvious reasons. b.) Placement of the box...if other pets bother the cat while he's trying to go in the box, but he can hide in a bathroom and no one knows he's in there...it only takes a few times of being hassled when you're trying to potty before you look for other alternatives, right?

-EDIT: this one is so obvious I forgot to list it at first. The litterbox needs to be kept clean. To most of us, duh!...to some cat owners I know, complete revelation. Ya gotta scoop it like every day, drives me nuts how many cat owners don't do this...

I think the first category is what you're dealing with. It's a scent thing, either territorial or "safe-scenting". Picking up clothes is the best solution. As others have said.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:04 PM

41,947 posts, read 75,144,160 times
My first thought would be to get a hamper.

If the litter box issues continue once your daughter no longer dumps her clothes on the floor, then you can go from there.

Good luck.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:23 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Oh, could it just be scent marking? Well dang that's just annoying and blechhh!. Note to self: no more male cats!
And for me, I've had it happen more with female cats. NO more female cats for us-ever.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:33 AM

8,882 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Anyone who's dirty clothes smells like a litter box probably needs to pay closer attention to their personal hygiene.
Not always. We have one who likes to pee on clothing left on the floor after a really strenuous treadmill workout. Sweat frequently smells a bit like ammonia. Solution .... put them in the hamper.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:59 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
first order of business -after picking up dirty clothes- is to have the cat checked out by vet. This is the third thread I've posted in tonight about inappropriate peeing. it can be a sign of illness. males are prone to UTI and it hurts so they are trying to get our attention by peeing where they know they shouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats