Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 06:50 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,898 times

Advertisements

Our cat, "Mr. Pickle" is 10. We didnt name him-he was a shelter cat we've had 7 years. He's always been laid back, a bit timid, loving. No problems. When we brought in a stray kitten 4 or 5 years ago, there was no problem.Prior to that, we had another cat that we had first who has since gone to kitty heaven.

My oldest daughter & SIL are staying with us until they find a new apartment.They moved halfway across the country to be near us and are learning the area and deciding where in this area they want to live. They also need to save up some money. They are almost starting over and left a lot behind so them leaving right now is not an option, plus, I love having them here.

They have 2 cats. One is so timid he rarely comes out of their room. The other is fun, silly, and curious and wanders the house. Mr. Pickle growls, hissses, and swats at DD's cat whenever it crosses its path. It has been 2 months and has not gotten any better.
yesterday, Mr. Pickle decided to pee on the chair. then I wove up to pee on the sofa.
HELP! We cant keep the other cat locked in a room. he's pawing at the door frantically and wants his freedom-I dont blame him. he is a sweet cat.

Suggestions?? I know it's anger/territorial, but I never expected this from him. He's always been such a good cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 07:01 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,595,644 times
You don't know it's "anger" or territorial. It's quite possible he's sick. Stress makes cats sick, manifesting especially as urinary tract infections.

Your cat has been under considerable stress having his home 'invaded' by strange people and cats. The very first thing you need to do is take your cat to the vet for a urinalysis and urine culture.

Two months is not a very long time at all for a cat to adjust to change, it can take much longer than that. However it is certainly long enough for urinary tract problems to start. He can't tell you "hey it hurts when I pee", so he pees on the chair to get your attention.

Urinary tract disorders hurt a lot, and in males can become fatal very quickly. Once he has been to the vet, there are other things that should be done.

Provide sufficient litter boxes for the number of cats. with four cats, two from each household, I would provide at least six. Make sure there is enough elevated spaces for all cats. Make sure your cat is given time in his home free of the pestering of the other cat, by putting the cat in anotehr room for a few hours each day.

Spend extra time with him to help him feel more normal.

Installing feliway diffusers may help him feel more settled also.

but get him to the vet without delay.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:27 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,616,048 times
Yes, I agree with the last post.

In addition, you might stop by the pet store for some Bitter Apple or the current product sold to keep puppies from chewing on things. Cover your furniture with old blankets and spray with the Bitter Apple (if you have the concentrate, dilute with a little rubbing alcohol and put in a small sprayer). An alternative is to put Vicks on cotton balls and drop those around on the covered furniture, but I've had better luck with Bitter Apple. That technique is supposed to discourage your cat from spending time on the furniture.

In the meantime, try to find the other cats another place to stay. Your cat was there, first. Not all cats, especially older ones, will bond with strangers. Perhaps you or they have a friend that can take one or both cats for awhile.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:25 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,898 times
Thanks. No, we have no friends here to take any cats in.
We keep them apart for several hours/day and there are many high places. Oddly, this one now never sits on his tower, and growls if the other cats go near it. They do have their own though.
We currently have 4 litter boxes and one in the bathroom isn't getting used at all.

I used bitter apple when we had a dog, but never thought of it for cats. I'll have to go pick some up.
I'll call the vet tomorrow.
Thanks!

Old 07-27-2014, 08:56 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
usually inappropriate peeing is a sign of illness. good you are taking him to the vet.
also try some feliway all over your house as it will calm everybody down. I always feel so sorry for any cat who has his space invaded by strangers.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:00 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,930,107 times
IME, Bitter Apple didn't work for us with the cats.

I agree with the post above--get a couple of Feliway diffusers to help with stress. You can buy three-packs of refills much cheaper on Amazon.

You may want to keep Mr. Pickle separate from the cats because it's just too stressful for him. Shut him in a favorite room while the other cats are out. Make sure there is a Feliway diffuser in there too. Yes, it's a bit of a pain, but it may be what you have to do for now to keep peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats