Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2014, 06:10 AM

211 posts, read 406,203 times

Advertisements

Ok, have a senior cat, exact age unknown, but I have had him since 98, and he was not a kitten when he showed up here, so let's say 17-19 maybe older.

Health wise he is doing okay, has had a heart murmur for years, is getting cataract in one eye for sure, and starting to lose his hair on the tail, other than that he seems okay, eats and drinks as usual.

The issues that are starting to show up all seem to be age related, he can't jump as easily, seems to have issue judging distance, will sit and stare off into space at times, normal old age issues I think...but the one that is starting to occur more often are his litter box manners, or forgetting of them (have 3 placed in various spots in the house for him).

There are days he will use them without any issues, other days, and they are getting more often, he seems to forget all about them. Number 2 is not as big a issue, as he normally seems to remember to make the litter box for that one, only has forgotten that one twice this week. The bigger concern is with number one. Over the last week he has used the dog's beds 4 times, the spare blanket in my room twice, and a pillow on the bed once.

I'm not worried about having to do laundry/cleaning up more often. Just wondering if there is anything I might be able to try to reteach him on using the litter boxes, or is this more of a issue of him being senior and the mind starting to go. This has been going on off and one for the last 6 months or so, but the frequency is increasing.

I've already bought and am using a plastic drop cloth to place over the bed when I gone during the day, just to prevent an accident from happening there, going to get another litter box or two to place in additional places, have even thought of getting another cat to help re show him the ropes (there was a second cat here till last fall, he was put down due to cancer)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 06:41 AM

11,198 posts, read 19,378,376 times
The first thing to do is to take him to the vet. This is more likely illness rather than "old age". Kidney disease and/or a urinary tract infection are the first things that come to mind. The UTI could be a symptom of CKD, they often go hand in hand. Please take him in and get him checked out with blood work and a urinalysis. There are things you can to to make him much more comfortable in his golden years. (his arthirits can be helped too, with a supplement)

Old 07-26-2014, 11:50 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,019,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
The first thing to do is to take him to the vet. This is more likely illness rather than "old age". Kidney disease and/or a urinary tract infection are the first things that come to mind. The UTI could be a symptom of CKD, they often go hand in hand. Please take him in and get him checked out with blood work and a urinalysis. There are things you can to to make him much more comfortable in his golden years. (his arthirits can be helped too, with a supplement)
This^^^^

Cats also can become senile/dementia. I had one and it is very sad. I second seeing the vet. Good luck and let us know how you're cat's doing.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:20 PM

I was able to get him into the vet a little while ago. Blood was drawn and sent out for testing, should get those back tomorrow sometime. Also did a urine test.

What she found was:

he has lost a little over a half pound since January....down to 6.9

based on what she saw in urine sample she is 99% sure it is not diabetes, but she saw some inflammation so he is one a antibiotic for that.

She also said the urine is very diluted and she is thinking/expecting when the blood test come back that we are going to be dealing with a kidney issue. So looks like a new low protein diet will be in order....time to start researching foods again

Old 07-26-2014, 12:37 PM

4,883 posts, read 13,759,647 times
The silver lining - more than just "lining" here - is that the treatment of feline kidney issues has come a long way. With special diets afflicted cats can now live for years longer, depending upon the condition of course.

For improved agility I highly recommend the supplements Cosequin and its "cousin" Dasuquin. They require a prescription but are inexpensive. My late great Weasie, arthritic from a young age, regained a good bit of pep in her step when she was started on the "powders." Sprinkle the contents of a capsule on wet food - the taste was obviously agreeable - and you'll probably see results in a matter of days.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:30 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,995,735 times
Dasuquin is very expensive. I am looking for a substitute because I cannot afford that for my cat and she needs it.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:50 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,817,512 times
Those of us who have lots of experience with cats need to keep getting the word out that usually when a cat pees inappropriately they are trying to tell us something is wrong. When Oscar got sick he actually drug a plastic shopping bag almost directly under my feet and proceeded to pee all over it. I mean--if he couldn't talk how much
more obvious could it have been? They don't try to "get back at us" or "forget". They simply are TELLING us-" hey look something is wrong. please fix it."

I've had two elderly cats and one with brain damage. None of them ever peed inappropriately. I guess a senile cat might not make it in time but if they can find the bed or the laundry basket---surely they could find the litter tray -unless they are sick. So the very first thing to do is have them checked out by a vet.
Hope your guy is better soon.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:20 PM

well the blood work came back and for the most part everything is normal, especially considering his age, thyroid and kidneys are in the normal range, towards the top of the range but normal. She mentioned if he were younger she might try getting the thyroid level down a bit, but due to his age and the fact that the kidney level is already towards the top end we are going to leave those alone.

Everything points to a infection so he will stay on the clavamox for the next 2 weeks and then we'll run the blood again to see if he is all cleared up.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:22 PM

2,974 posts, read 3,876,486 times
I am glad to hear that the blood work came back normal. I have something to consider if the urination outside of the box continues. Most likely, given his age and some of the things you describe, he has some cognitive decline. My parents had a cat with this and the vet prescribed an anti-anxiety drug. While she wasn't 100% with box usage, it did help.

I hope you have many more days with him. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats