Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 11:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,141 times

Advertisements

I have conflicting decision whether i should let my cat go outside and roam or stay inside. My family moved from a town called Chetwynd in northern British Columbia (Canada). My cat roamed around our neighborhood ever since she was kitten, and the reason was because the town was in a rural area, and a forest as our backyard. She always found her way back every time she goes out, and been doing this for two years. Now that we moved into a city, Vancouver, we made her stay inside. Now she's bored, depressed and dissatisfied.
Were in a nice quiet neighborhood, lots of trees, very green, surrounded by other houses, and not as much cars driving across our house. Should i let my cat roam? or should I keep her in? I've been thinking of giving her a harness and walk with her outside with a leash.
Can anyone please give me their suggestions? My cat looks so sad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 11:35 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
You live in town now. It's your cat, not your neighbors' cat. Don't let her roam.

If you want to let her outside, build an outdoor enclosure for her, or teach her to go out on a leash.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,141 times
Were not in a town, were in Vancouver.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:29 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
If you love your kitty, keep her inside.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:03 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
I would totally keep her inside, but this is a major life change for her, so you might want to enrich her environment. Do you have a window perch/cat tree where she can look outside? Add a bird or squirrel feeder she can watch. Rotate toys every now and then so they stay "new."

If you can afford it, buy or build an outdoor enclosure so she is safely able to go outside. There are lots of options and sizes for any kind of house.

Harness training her could help too, but make sure to use a high-quality harness so she can't escape. Something more like this: http://www.amazon.com/Kitty-Holster-...ds=cat+harness

Old 07-31-2014, 01:53 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Please don't let her wander and become a nuisance to the neighbors who may do something drastic to her. She will also be subject to getting some disease or parasites both internal and external. She could become the victim of some psychopath which seem to be the fate of too many cats allowed to roam. As others suggested, enrigh her environment with a bird feeder, a window or two to look out, interactive toys and at least one cat-tree/condo.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:20 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
It's tough! About two cats ago, I moved from a rural area to the city and my male tabby needed to become an indoor cat. He didn't adjust! He clawed the screens and did everything possible to let himself out. Eventually, he got out at one point and went missing. I never found him. ):

The next two cats I got were "indoor" cats and were much easier to keep inside. Yes, there was/is an enriched area with perches and plenty of toys and hiding places.

I wish I lived in an area where the kitty could in and out as she pleased but as long as I live in the city, her exposure to outside will be from safe enclosures, like the screened in back porch.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:34 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,621,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
You live in town now. It's your cat, not your neighbors' cat. Don't let her roam.

If you want to let her outside, build an outdoor enclosure for her, or teach her to go out on a leash.
I agree with this or what someone else said: if you must keep her in, enrich her environment!

Old 08-01-2014, 09:21 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post

I wish I lived in an area where the kitty could in and out as she pleased but as long as I live in the city, her exposure to outside will be from safe enclosures, like the screened in back porch.
Mine have a Florida room built on the front porch and a Catio on the side deck we no longer used after all the kids and grand-kids moved on. They can sun themselves and get fresh air safely.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:39 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
I often wonder if our 3 are bored being in the house all the time too, but they have the screened in lanai if they want to look outside. The one big fear about letting a cat roam (aside from cars and predators) is that there are some sick people out there who HATE cats. We had one cat that used to roam years ago and we found her dead beside the house, apparently a neighbor poisoned her.

But I understand your feelings.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats