Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 03:29 PM

58 posts, read 134,146 times

Advertisements

A coworker knows I am dying to adopt a cat and offered her young cat because her multiple cats are not getting along. I am so excited and can't wait to go see the kitty!

A question suddenly came up in my mind though. I was planning on visiting shelters and I think they charge adoption fee around $100. What do people do when they get animals from family, friends, etc? Do you give them money? Gift? Nothing at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 03:41 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
If family or friends are willing to give you a cat for free, then I wouldn't think any money needs to change hands. If it's an older cat and has been to a vet & up to date on shots, no health issues, etc., then your adoption should be rather inexpensive except for any supplies you might need. You might want inquire about the cat's health & vet visits before committing to the adoption, just so you'll know what your in for (or not). An initial vet visit may wise anyway, just to be on the safe side.
Not sure why you feel the need to pay them if they're offering the cat for free. Good luck with the adoption.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I'm sure most will say nothing at all, but a gift is a nice idea.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:45 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
Maybe you could make a donation to your local shelter in their name.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:07 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
There is no such thing as a "free" cat! (:

Yes, go see the vet first thing and rule out any expensive problems. Hopefully, it doesn't have behavioral issues, either, such as peeing where it shouldn't.

If it's truly getting rehomed because of it not getting along, realize that it may have to be an "only cat." Is that okay with you? Will you be home enough to give it plenty of attention? There have been several sad threads about young cats left alone all day who were tearing up the house and not letting the owner sleep.

Older cats (2+ years) tend not to have that problem as much.

On the other hand, it may just be an issue with that household. I normally wouldn't say anything, but I wanted you to be aware of this potential issue since you sound like a new owner.

Good luck with your new friend. Be sure to give him/her at least three weeks to adjust. Let us know how it goes!

Old 08-02-2014, 05:10 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chondriac View Post
A coworker knows I am dying to adopt a cat and offered her young cat because her multiple cats are not getting along. I am so excited and can't wait to go see the kitty!

A question suddenly came up in my mind though. I was planning on visiting shelters and I think they charge adoption fee around $100. What do people do when they get animals from family, friends, etc? Do you give them money? Gift? Nothing at all?
Give the money to the shelter. They need to keep feeding the cat you would have adopted from them.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:15 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
When we got Josette from some friends of ours, we fed them dinner. Ok, we would have fed them dinner if they didn't give us Josette. But, our "free" cat has already cost us $$$. She has been to the vet 3 times already (and we have only had her since June-and she isn't even 6 months old yet) and she still hasn't had the BIG one yet which will be in Sept. Not to mention cost of food/litter.

Cat

Old 08-02-2014, 08:11 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
The adoption fee pays for the care the cat received before it was adopted, including vaccinations, vet visits, etc., and sometimes neutering. If your friend has done all that before you adopt the cat, you may wish to offer to reimburse your friend for all or part of those expenses. But since it's not usually expected, it's still up to you.

I guess if you really felt the need, you could take them a batch of cookies.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:12 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chondriac View Post

If the kitty is already vaccinated and spayed or neutered I would offer her some money. If not, I never offered them anything.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:13 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

I guess if you really felt the need, you could take them a batch of cookies.
Or if they don't bake - take them out for a nice lunch somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats