Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 10:51 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
This is how I do it.

Mash it on a plate.

Add less than a tablespoon of Beechnut Chicken in Chicken brother baby food. Mix it up.

Three licks.......and Lily cleaned the plate.

Then she'd get her regular meal (breakfast or dinner).
Thanks. I'll try than if the vet recommends that medication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
We have something called the piller. We put the pill in this turkey baster looking thing, hold the cat with her mouth held open and inject the pill into her mouth. There is some fuss, but it usually works.
I have one of those but this is a liquid so I used a syringe. By the 5th time she was to get her medication, I tried to open her mouth she went totally berserk. Hysterical. Scruffing doesn't work well with her. As already mentioned my husband was badly clawed and she was hysterically trying to bite us. We couldn't calm her until he set her in her back down. She had herself worked into a frenzy. This was totally out of character for her.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I have a pill popper too, and I'm currently using it to give meds to my senior cat Stormy. The problem is you have to squeeze the back of the jaw a bit to get the mouth open enough, and if the cat fights at all it's very easy to get bit (ask me how I know).
This is so true. When we first got Zephyr and had to medicate her every day for a week for an URI she bit my thumb as deep as her teeth would go. It was horribly painful - like banging your finger with a hammer. That's what if felt like. Fortunately I didn't get infected, probably because she was on antibiotics, but my thumb was sore for a week. It was right on the pad of my thumb that touches anything handled.

Quote:
My cat is very easy going & gentle and has gotten used to being pilled, so he doesn't protest that much. But with a half-feral that the OP is dealing with, I can see it being a struggle, even with an extra pair of hands to help. I think the best idea is grinding up the pill and mixing in her food as suggested. Less stressful for everyone concerned as long as she's eating good.
Clindamycin is a liquid, not a pill or capsule. The vet gave me a syringe to medicate her with. I wouldn't try to pill Sheba or give her anything by mouth again. There is no real way to restrain a cat that isn't immobilized by scruffing.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:46 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,620,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
This is so true. When we first got Zephyr and had to medicate her every day for a week for an URI she bit my thumb as deep as her teeth would go. It was horribly painful - like banging your finger with a hammer. That's what if felt like. Fortunately I didn't get infected, probably because she was on antibiotics, but my thumb was sore for a week. It was right on the pad of my thumb that touches anything handled.

Clindamycin is a liquid, not a pill or capsule. The vet gave me a syringe to medicate her with. I wouldn't try to pill Sheba or give her anything by mouth again. There is no real way to restrain a cat that isn't immobilized by scruffing.
Yeah. You might have to take her to the vet; the only thing is, I'm not sure if a vet would charge for those services.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:25 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Clindamycin comes in tablet form. I would ask for the pills. I don't know why vets always dispense liquid first. Pills are so much easier.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:16 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Clindamycin comes in tablet form. I would ask for the pills. I don't know why vets always dispense liquid first. Pills are so much easier.
In my case it depends on the cat. Stormy takes the pills fairly easy & I don't have to scruff him to hold him. But Angel gets very upset if I try to pry her mouth open, so liquids meds work better for her. I don't have to pry her mouth open to get the syringe in, so I scruff her & she doesn't struggle much. I don't have an extra pair of hands to help me, so I can't scruff them & pry the mouth open at the same time. I can do one or the other, but not both.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:27 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post

Have you tried mixing it into a small portion of her favourite wet cat food?

My Doc said this was OK to do, the only worry is that the cat wouldn't eat all the food, and thereby the dose would be incomplete.

I'm so sorry you and Sheba are having such a problem with this. My Fiona would be fighting just about that bad, just from being terrified. Poor Sheba! I hope you find something which works.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:05 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Have you tried mixing it into a small portion of her favourite wet cat food?

My Doc said this was OK to do, the only worry is that the cat wouldn't eat all the food, and thereby the dose would be incomplete.

I'm so sorry you and Sheba are having such a problem with this. My Fiona would be fighting just about that bad, just from being terrified. Poor Sheba! I hope you find something which works.
That's the risk of mixing medication in food. One way to do it is to mix up a small amount of food that you know the cat will eat all of. But that also increases the chance of the cat being able to smell or taste the meds, then refuse to eat it. I've never had much luck mixing meds in food with my cats. It has worked for me a few times, but is rather iffy at best. Now I would much rather give the dose directly so I know they're getting all of it.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:53 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times
So sorry to hear about the medicine dispensing issues :-(

The only way we can give liquid meds to ours is for my husband to swaddle them in a blanket like you do a baby where their paws are totally covered like a mummy. My husband then holds them sideways on his chest and then I take one of my palms and press their head against his chest and then take the syringe and slowly disperse on the lower side of their mouth. They don't open all the way but they got most of it in.

I sure do wish the pharm companies could make the meds a beef or chicken flavor chewable! They make the liquids for children now in flavors (bubble gum, grape, etc).

Hoping it gets better for you!

Old 08-04-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Yeah. You might have to take her to the vet; the only thing is, I'm not sure if a vet would charge for those services.
There is no way I can drive her there twice a day and you can be sure it wouldn't be free. She let me look at her teeth today but for only a few seconds. She starts to tense and I'm not going to terrorize her - terrorizing her is how she sees it. Her teeth are nice and white with almost no gum swelling. The infection where the broken fang root was removed looks to be totally gone with little redness and no swelling. It's amazing how fast they heal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats