Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 07:56 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,894 times

Advertisements

My little girl had surgery last week (abdominal obstruction, she ate an ace bandage), and I've been having to keep her from licking at and biting a pretty large incision on her belly.

They sent her home wearing one of those hard plastic e-collars, but she was really miserable in it and yowled nonstop for 2 days. I tried one of the softer, floppy e-collars, but it didn't offer enough protection. I also tried one of the inflatable ones (looks a bit like the U-shaped pillows you can use on an airplane) but somehow, she kept managing to pull it off.

I finally hit upon a great solution, and wanted to pass it along to other cat-parents.

I found a sleeveless baby sundress at Target. It's kind of a spaghetti strap style, so the arm holes were pretty generously sized. I enlarged the neck opening slightly, and did some quick measuring/estimating when the cat was asleep to figure out where to place holes for the back paws. Once the sundress was over her head, with her front paws thru the arm holes and her back paws through the holes i'd cut, I tied a knot in the back of the skirt to take up the slack with the excess fabric. It's working beautifully - she can't reach her incision, yet her paws are all free. She got used to wearing it after about an hour. The fabric is loose enough over her belly that it isn't rubbing, and it breathes. There's also enough room in the bum for going potty (I had to trim the length a bit). And she can eat/drink much more easily in this than she could in the e-collar.

My little girl is much more comfortable in this than she'd have been in the hard e-collar for a week. She's about 7 pounds and pretty petite, so a 3 month size was about right. (I think you could make something similar if you cut up a pair of leggings.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 09:35 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
Good idea Wry_Martini...I had to put a collar on one of my cats one time (she'd been stitched up after surviving a dog attack), and I actually thought it might make her go literally insane before she ever healed up...What I did was take it off her for a few hours a day, and keep an eye on her, making sure she just cleaned and licked anywhere but the stitches..She hated that collar and was very unhappy when I'd put it back on. I had to though....she finally healed and survived the plastic collar with most of her senses intact.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:35 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
My friend has to keep his cat in something very similar to this. He gets sores on his skin that he always messes with and they can't heal so that is what they did as well. Works like a charm!

Old 07-04-2013, 04:17 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,363,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
My little girl had surgery last week (abdominal obstruction, she ate an ace bandage), and I've been having to keep her from licking at and biting a pretty large incision on her belly.

They sent her home wearing one of those hard plastic e-collars, but she was really miserable in it and yowled nonstop for 2 days. I tried one of the softer, floppy e-collars, but it didn't offer enough protection. I also tried one of the inflatable ones (looks a bit like the U-shaped pillows you can use on an airplane) but somehow, she kept managing to pull it off.

I finally hit upon a great solution, and wanted to pass it along to other cat-parents.

I found a sleeveless baby sundress at Target. It's kind of a spaghetti strap style, so the arm holes were pretty generously sized. I enlarged the neck opening slightly, and did some quick measuring/estimating when the cat was asleep to figure out where to place holes for the back paws. Once the sundress was over her head, with her front paws thru the arm holes and her back paws through the holes i'd cut, I tied a knot in the back of the skirt to take up the slack with the excess fabric. It's working beautifully - she can't reach her incision, yet her paws are all free. She got used to wearing it after about an hour. The fabric is loose enough over her belly that it isn't rubbing, and it breathes. There's also enough room in the bum for going potty (I had to trim the length a bit). And she can eat/drink much more easily in this than she could in the e-collar.

My little girl is much more comfortable in this than she'd have been in the hard e-collar for a week. She's about 7 pounds and pretty petite, so a 3 month size was about right. (I think you could make something similar if you cut up a pair of leggings.)
Every so often a really good idea/solution to a problem comes along that's borderline genius. I think this may be one of those. Fortunately I've not yet had to use that collar for any of mine, but would certainly rather use what you came up with. You should consider making these for sale... seriously.
I would think the market for it would be substantial, and maybe even make that awful collar obsolete.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:27 PM

400 posts, read 749,961 times
Excellent idea!

Old 07-04-2013, 04:36 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
I would love to see a picture of this!

Old 07-05-2013, 08:51 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
me too

Old 07-08-2013, 10:50 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,922,116 times
How ingenious of you! That sounds even better than the solution we had when Sadie got spayed and was wriggling out of her e-collar: a baby onesie, with a hole cut out for the tail. Here's a pic I posted on my blog: It's all about the cats!: What does a kitten in a onesie look like?

Old 07-08-2013, 12:47 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
me too
me three!

Old 07-08-2013, 02:31 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,894 times
She gets her stitches out tomorrow, so I'll post a pic tomorrow night. (It might be helpful to show you what it looks like, when she's not wearing it, in case any of y'all ever need to duplicate this idea.)

She adapted to the little romper/outfit really well. I think she's pretty much forgotten she's wearing it - and my mom pointed out that it's also helping keep her poor shaved belly nice and warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats