Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:28 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,708,874 times

Advertisements

PetSafe Gentle Leader Come with Me Kitty Harness & Bungee Leash - Cat Leash and Cat Walking Harness from petco.com

I'm thinking of trying it.
thanks for any feed-back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 09:32 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,009,398 times
I do that more often when we are on vacation. I find it very helpful.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:52 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,349,138 times
We take one of our cats out on a harness but it is more like a vest on him. I have not used the one you posted.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:16 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
That's an "H" harness. I tried one on Snickers, and it didn't fit, plus he didn't like it. I also tried a figure 8 harness, and had the same problem. You can buy them for quite a bit less from eBay.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:51 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,376 times
I just ordered the harness and leash in a medium size for my little boy kitten who is 6 months old today. He will have to grow into it. I will let you know. Shipping time is 3 to 6 business days. Liam has so much energy - cannot wait to try it.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:32 PM

420 posts, read 704,180 times
Yeah. She freaked the heck out. We were trying to do it very slowly. It was an H harness, and we put it on in the apartment and let her run around to get her use to it. She slinked around as if she had a 10 pound weight on her shoulders. Then we took her out to the hallway in our apartment. More of the slink walking. We eventually took her outside and stood in one spot. Unfortunately, at that moment someone's tire on the road popped or something, but she heard that gunshot sound and she tried to make a break. She did the spiral, twirly thing, fortunately my husband was holding the leash. He grabbed her and held her to his chest, which calms her down. Of course, we took her inside.

Since then we have tried walking her just to the laundry room and back with the leash. She acts like we are murdering her slowly, so we finally gave up. She's just not a leash kitty, lol

Old 09-02-2014, 04:19 AM

could you tell me the brand name of the one you use?

The bungee harness seems like it would be secure, but in all the consumer comments there was one which said it was easy for their cat to slip out.
that scares me. I have recently moved, and would not want kitty to be loose on the outside.
thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
We take one of our cats out on a harness but it is more like a vest on him. I have not used the one you posted.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:05 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,640,743 times
I recommend more highly the "jacket" style harness for cats. I've found a few sources for those.

Cats who hate harnesses LOVE the Kitty Holster cat harness! Walk your cat!

New Page 1

MynwoodCatJackets.co.uk - The original handmade cat walking jackets

And Amazon and Etsy have them too.

The whole idea is that they've got a velcro that fastens more snugly and securely and it's harder for cats to wriggle or "back out" to escape them. I have noticed that when Jackson Galaxy visits a home with a terror of a Bengal or similar, and recommends leash walks, he usually has the cat get into a jacket style harness like these. I trust his expertise on the matter, if I trust anyone's.

I have considered getting one of these myself, but my cat really has little interest in being outside so I haven't bothered.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:49 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,284,294 times
I use the "Come With Me Kitty" Harness with Tiger. I would recommend spending your money on the Kitty Holster instead. Although "The Come With Me Kitty" harness works well enough, Tiger has slipped out of it, probably by backing out of it. I'm not sure because I looked away for (seriously, only 5 seconds) and I felt the leash go slack and Tiger was jumping over a fence into the neighbors yard.

Inside I was FREAKING, but I talked to him calmly and didn't head straight toward him, as I climbed the fence to pick him up. Thankfully he wasn't difficult to catch.

I can't figure out how to post my videos of Tiger walking in his harness.

Last edited by leanansidhex; 09-02-2014 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: correct

Old 09-05-2014, 05:38 AM

thank you for these suggestions.

They sure are cute. But I am more interested in safety and these appear to be more safe than the 'bungee' bec. the cat cannot back out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I recommend more highly the "jacket" style harness for cats. I've found a few sources for those.

Cats who hate harnesses LOVE the Kitty Holster cat harness! Walk your cat!

New Page 1

MynwoodCatJackets.co.uk - The original handmade cat walking jackets

And Amazon and Etsy have them too.

The whole idea is that they've got a velcro that fastens more snugly and securely and it's harder for cats to wriggle or "back out" to escape them. I have noticed that when Jackson Galaxy visits a home with a terror of a Bengal or similar, and recommends leash walks, he usually has the cat get into a jacket style harness like these. I trust his expertise on the matter, if I trust anyone's.

I have considered getting one of these myself, but my cat really has little interest in being outside so I haven't bothered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats