Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:09 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,729,551 times

Advertisements

My cat was living with my mom for a few months due to my job. My mom's dog got fleas despite being treated. Therefore, my cat also got fleas. My cat was not treated since she has always been an indoor only cat with no exposure to other animals (until my mom's dog). Anyway, once fleas were suspected, she was immediately given Frontline. After 3-4 weeks, the problem was only getting worse and I was about to switch jobs and move to a new place. I didn't want to take the fleas with me, so she was given Capstar for a few days in a row, as well as another dose of Frontline. I checked her daily and saw no 'flea dirt' or other flea evidence. I stopped checking daily, but still checked periodically. Last week, she received another dose of Frontline (the 3rd). Today, as I was checking her, I saw a little bit of flea dirt. She squirmed away. I checked her again a little bit later, and I found a live flea (which I removed and flushed).

When the initial infestation started and the Frontline didn't work, I asked a few people for some advice. They said to use Advantage instead, but I had already purchased the Frontline. Due to my change in jobs, I had to go about 2 months without pay, so I really had to budget, so I stuck with the Frontline. Now that the Frontline is gone (and I get paid Friday!), I will switch to Advantage.

My biggest questions is- when is it safe to give her the Advantage? She received her Frontline treatment on last Tuesday (26th). The person who recommended Advantage said that I could give it as frequently as once every two weeks. Is this safe?

I have one more Capstar pill left. Should I give it to her now? Or wait until I can treat her with Advantage?

FWIW- I vacuum pretty much daily. I can't use chemicals to treat the carpet since I've been watching my 6 month old neice all summer until I went back to work. I still have her on the weekends, and they come over periodically.

I feel so bad for her She isn't itching like crazy, so I want to get rid of it before she suffers even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 09:27 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
Use Capstar, and switch to Revolution or Vectra. Advantage doesn't work well anymore, which is why people are applying it every two weeks. If you're vacuuming daily, you need to use a new bag daily, and throw the used bag in the trash sealed in a plastic grocery bag.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:50 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,363,884 times
Years ago my vet advised that Frontline (& Advantage) could be re-applied as early as 3 weeks, and should be effective up to 5 weeks. The recommended spacing for application is 4 weeks. In my case the Frontline I had used for years gradually became less & less effective, and pretty much stopped working at all last year. I've been hearing that some people are having the same issue with Advantage now as well. I did a complete de-flea of the house & switched to Revolution last Nov., and have been flea free ever since.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:24 PM

I looked online for both Revolution and Vectra. I couldn't find any way to order Vectra, and only one way to order Revolution. Are they prescription?

Old 09-02-2014, 06:08 PM

12,193 posts, read 2,961,959 times
Frontline no longer works for our cats. We had to switch to Revolution and it works, but it is prescription only.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:07 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,363,884 times
Apparently Revolution is supposed to be Rx only, presumably to insure the cat doesn't have anything going on that could be a problem. When I switched to it last year, I bought the first doses from my vet and he didn't require an exam of all of them before selling me the Revolution. He is familiar with all of my cats, but didn't show any concern at all about me putting on them. Because his prices were prohibitively expensive, I searched on line and found a source at a reasonable price... and they didn't require a Rx.
But even if you have to have a vet visit to get a prescription for an online purchase, it would be worth it. Revolution is working very well for may cats.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:29 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I looked online for both Revolution and Vectra. I couldn't find any way to order Vectra, and only one way to order Revolution. Are they prescription?
You can order Revolution from CanadaVet without a prescription, and I don't think you can order Vectra at all, you have to buy it from a vet. I was buying one tube at a time, and then switched to Revolution.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:51 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
I've tried Advantage, Revolution, and all the ones from the grocery store, none of them really did much for our 3. But lately I have been buying Paradyne at the new vet we have been using and it really is working much better.

With the others I would see them still scratching days after I applied it but with the Pardyne they hardly ever scratch now. Not cheap, but cheaper than Revolution. I just paid $115 for a 6 month supply plus two free, so that gives me enough to do 3 cats for 3 months (minus one dose for one cat, but I can buy it singly to fill in that gap)

Don

Old 09-03-2014, 06:18 PM

Thanks!

She does need to go to the vet, but I can't take her for at least a week due to my work schedule. I guess I'll by it online because the fleas are minimal at the moment. I don't want it to become a severe case.

(She has long hair, so flea dirt tends to stick around. I have to really search to find some.)

Old 09-07-2014, 10:40 AM

New question- any advice for treatment for dogs? (Instead of Frontline)

I asked on the dog forum and was pretty much attacked. Glad I have a cat so I can visit this forum instead of that one Jeez!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats