Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 10:10 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,650 times

Advertisements

My cat is eight years old and has never once been sick. On Saturday (the 6th) we were playing and running around together. In the middle of the night I heard him throwing up. I didn't think anything of it because he does that periodically, usually a hairball or from eating too fast.

But, when I woke up this morning, I saw that he had thrown up a few times. A couple times with some food in it and a hairball but a few times it was clear. All day he's been lethargic and just wants to be alone. He's gone to his litter box a few times but didn't use it.

When I picked him up to cuddle him, he just didn't want to. There was a little diarrhea on my arm, but still none in the litter box. He hasn't eaten or drank anything today either. He just lays under my bed quietly, licking his hind end once in a while.

I looked up the symptoms online and found out it could be several things but likely an "inflammatory bowel disease" which could be anything from parasites and worms, to a blockage, to cancer.

I'll call the vet in the morning but I'm praying for a miracle tonight because I absolutely can't afford a vet bill right now. I've always fed him a high quality food in hopes of preventing illness. My heart just hurts to see him this way.

I guess I'm just hoping someone might have some experience, or insight, into what could be going on with him. Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 10:15 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
I dont have advice but please update with your cats condition after the appt!

Old 09-07-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I dont have advice but please update with your cats condition after the appt!
I will, thanks. I don't think I'll get much sleep. It's been just me and him for eight years and we're really close. I'd rather be the one that's sick instead of him. I just can't believe how suddenly this came on. Last night we were running round the apartment. Then, in the middle of the night, he started throwing up and today he's lethargic. The suddenness is what scares me.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:24 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I will, thanks. I don't think I'll get much sleep. It's been just me and him for eight years and we're really close. I'd rather be the one that's sick instead of him. I just can't believe how suddenly this came on. Last night we were running round the apartment. Then, in the middle of the night, he started throwing up and today he's lethargic. The suddenness is what scares me.
Has anything recently happened? Stress? did he get into anything? You said you feed great food but have you switched? Have you seen worms in his poop or throw up? Will he eat or drink?

I would call some emergency vets, some might take payments.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:37 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,624 times
I hope it works out that your kitty just caught some kind of "bug" and will be over all this in the next 12 hours

Old 09-07-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Has anything recently happened? Stress? did he get into anything? You said you feed great food but have you switched? Have you seen worms in his poop or throw up? Will he eat or drink?

I would call some emergency vets, some might take payments.
Nothing's happened that I know of. I haven't switched food. I tried to switch flavors of the same brand (this was several years ago) and just switching flavors gave him diarrhea. So, I haven't tried to change anything food-wise since. No worms in his poop or throw-up, although he hasn't eaten, drank, or used his litter box today. He went in the litter box a couple of times but didn't use it.

I think he'll be okay until morning. He's not 100% lethargic. I'll call the vet in the morning and ask about his condition, price and payment options. If they won't cooperate, I'll try the humane society I adopted him from as a kitten, eight years ago.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
I hope it works out that your kitty just caught some kind of "bug" and will be over all this in the next 12 hours
Thank you. This is what I'm hoping, too. At the most, I hope it's a case of just having to give him antibiotics for a while. I work at home so we're together all day long, every day. I couldn't bear to lose him.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:40 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
This is an emergency. A cat who can't urinate is blocked. Please get him to the vet immediately. He is in great, extreme pain and a blockage is fatal if not tended to in time. Vet. Now.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:21 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,789 times
Yes this requires an emergency vet visit. Hope your kitty is ok.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:36 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,235 times
Definitely an emergency. There is a very good chance it is a urinary blockage or he ate something that is blocking his intestines. I've been through both with my cats. Either way, it's an emergency where hours will make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats