Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 8,293 times

Advertisements

I have NO luck with Greenies as a pill delivery method. Both my cats must be truly psychic as they know the minute I think about doing that to them...putting a pill in a Greenie...they're determined to not even sniff the treat. They simply will not eat them. So, I too have a cat that needs Bendryl and in breaking up the 25 mg. human dosage into quarters (not easy to do but the Vet said that's the correct dosage...about 8mg., she salivates all over herself as the pill must be extremely bitter. So now I'm moving on to the children's liquid Bendryl with no dyes. Hoping I can use a syringe to squirt it in her mouth without her salivating it all out immediately. Its just not easy and this is the last hope for all her itching. Every other diagnosis and medication (including considering that pain my be the culprit for scratching)has not worked. I think its allergy related as I live in Texas and even we humans have a tough time. Every season here has its own high allergen count in one form or another. Wish me luck. Both Beauty (my cat) and I are worn out form the scratching. Wish I knew of a homeopathic remedy. If anyone does...please post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 04:37 PM

11,198 posts, read 19,378,376 times
Get small empty gel caps (you can buy them on line) and give her the quarter tablet in the gel cap, then she won't taste it.

To give the pill I recommend this method:

For pilling, I advise this: use a dot of something soft and wet s/he likes. You can try yogurt, even a little soft butter or cream cheese, or even a little favorite wet food, but yogurt or soft butter works better. Make sure you have everything ready, in a bowl is good. Pill, and spoon with a little yogurt (or whatever)

Use the holding position. Kneel on the floor with your feet crossed behind you, hold kitty between your knees facing out. S/he will try to back away and will not be able to.

With cat in holding position (as described above), put a dot of the yogurt (or whatever) on kitty's mouth to keep her busy and to get the saliva flowing (so the pill doesn't stick).

While kitty is licking her mouth, hold pill in one hand, pry open mouth with other, poke pill in, toward side of mouth and as far back as you can.

You can let go of her mouth at this point, but keep a hand on her to keep her still while you get another bit of yogurt (or ...) on your finger and put a dot on her nose and mouth. She will lick off the yogurt and swallow, pill and all.

this can work with liquids too.

I make it sound easier than it is, at first. It does take practice. And you have to approach it with confidence, kitty will sense if you are hesitant. But once you master this method you'll be able to pill any cat, any time. I know I can!

Some pills (baytril for instance) are very bad tasting. For those it helps to put the pill into a plain empty gel capsule. Gel caps go down easier too. Check with vet or pharmacist before using capsules, as a capsule may affect the dissolving time and this may be an issue for some meds.

You can order empty gel caps on line.

ps, the wet treat on nose trick works with ear drops, eye care, anything really,even nail trims! the idea is, 1)she associates the nastiness with something good, and 2) she's so busy licking her nose she forgets about the other stuff.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:07 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,260,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Get small empty gel caps (you can buy them on line) and give her the quarter tablet in the gel cap, then she won't taste it.

To give the pill I recommend this method:

For pilling, I advise this: use a dot of something soft and wet s/he likes. You can try yogurt, even a little soft butter or cream cheese, or even a little favorite wet food, but yogurt or soft butter works better. Make sure you have everything ready, in a bowl is good. Pill, and spoon with a little yogurt (or whatever)

Use the holding position. Kneel on the floor with your feet crossed behind you, hold kitty between your knees facing out. S/he will try to back away and will not be able to.

With cat in holding position (as described above), put a dot of the yogurt (or whatever) on kitty's mouth to keep her busy and to get the saliva flowing (so the pill doesn't stick).

While kitty is licking her mouth, hold pill in one hand, pry open mouth with other, poke pill in, toward side of mouth and as far back as you can.

You can let go of her mouth at this point, but keep a hand on her to keep her still while you get another bit of yogurt (or ...) on your finger and put a dot on her nose and mouth. She will lick off the yogurt and swallow, pill and all.

this can work with liquids too.

I make it sound easier than it is, at first. It does take practice. And you have to approach it with confidence, kitty will sense if you are hesitant. But once you master this method you'll be able to pill any cat, any time. I know I can!

Some pills (baytril for instance) are very bad tasting. For those it helps to put the pill into a plain empty gel capsule. Gel caps go down easier too. Check with vet or pharmacist before using capsules, as a capsule may affect the dissolving time and this may be an issue for some meds.

You can order empty gel caps on line.

ps, the wet treat on nose trick works with ear drops, eye care, anything really,even nail trims! the idea is, 1)she associates the nastiness with something good, and 2) she's so busy licking her nose she forgets about the other stuff.
That is the exact method I use to give pills/liquids to my cats, and it works very well once you get the hang of it. It's very good advice. I also use a 'pill popper' (similar to a syringe) for pills so I don't have to put my fingers into the cats mouth. There was a bit of a learning curve to it, but for me it's much reliable than trying to put the meds in their food.... which they may or may not eat.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:24 AM

2,974 posts, read 3,878,287 times
Do you have to use Benadryl? Because of its extreme bitterness, I've never been able to successfully give that myself. There are other antihistamines that are safe for cats. I given Chlortrimeton and you can give Zytrek too.

Of course, please ask your vet about this first and get the correct dose(s) for your cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats