Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 07:56 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
You got that right! My husband is a highly decorated Viet Nam vet, and athlete, and can often be heard saying silly things in a silly voice to dogs and cats. And answering for them. And God help the person who would hurt any of them, or person he saw hurting any animal.
You have no idea how relieved I am to know I'm not the only one who does that.

And a salute to your husband from a fellow Vietnam vet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 09:21 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,095 times
Is it my imagination or are the penalties stiffer in Animal Cruelty cases that involve dogs?

I hope it isn't. Cats deserve every bit as much consideration as dogs....and in many cases more because they're usually much smaller than dogs and less able to fight back.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:16 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
I have some jurisdictional questions about this, but I share your sentiment that this is probably a good thing.

That said, I know some agents and I have the distinct impression that the FBI is an exceptionally macho organization. Who gets assigned to the cat cruelty desk?
All they'll do is keep a record of the people convicted of cruelty. there will be no shoes-on-the-ground so to speak. No arrests by the FBI. No investigations. Though a step in the right direction, it will do nothing to stop the psychopaths out there from harming more cats. The kind of people who torture and kill cats are not the type of people to care what others think of them, or what the FBI does with their information. We'll see in time what good this does.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:07 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
It's a start. Everything has to start somewhere. In my state already it is a felony to abuse a cat. Several counties has passed convicted animal abuse registry laws. It's a start.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:22 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
It's a start. Everything has to start somewhere. In my state already it is a felony to abuse a cat. Several counties has passed convicted animal abuse registry laws. It's a start.
It's been a long time coming, but animal abuse is now a felony in all 50 states.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
It's been a long time coming, but animal abuse is now a felony in all 50 states.
I was thinking it was, but didn't know for sure. It took the abuse & torture (severely burned) of a small dog several years ago to get it done in my state. It was big news around here for a while, but they never found out who did it. The little dog was taken in by a vet & given round the clock care & many donated money to help him. The dog lived for a while, but his injuries were too severe & he didn't make it. The publicity from the case lit a fire under our state legislators, and laws were changed and penalties greatly increased. It saddened me that a little dog had to suffer & die to get humans to do what they should have done already.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:44 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Agreed on all counts, even if the FBI isn't persecuting & prosecuting, it's sending the right message to law enforcement. And futhermore, if the FBI needs to investigate some really nasty murderous sociopathic cereal killin' type stuff, they might have some leads from that database, and/or a pattern of animal abuse could strengthen cases against killers.

Now if only we could get all law enforcement to be properly trained in dealing with animals when necessary, we'd be in good shape...

Old 09-30-2014, 10:28 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Agreed on all counts, even if the FBI isn't persecuting & prosecuting, it's sending the right message to law enforcement. And futhermore, if the FBI needs to investigate some really nasty murderous sociopathic cereal killin' type stuff, they might have some leads from that database, and/or a pattern of animal abuse could strengthen cases against killers.

Now if only we could get all law enforcement to be properly trained in dealing with animals when necessary, we'd be in good shape...
Oi, somebody just repped me with this a bit of a lol at the cereal killin' as opposed to serial killin' which is proper.

I'm having a Green Jello moment, what can I say?

"Toucan, son of Sam...Toucan, son of Sam...Toucan, son of Sah-ham...SNAP! CRACKLE! POP!"

(If no one knows it's a silly band/song from the 90's.)

Have a nice day, ya'll!

Old 09-30-2014, 12:58 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

This is true. It has to start somewhere and some convicted abusers are getting time in prison.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Oi, somebody just repped me with this a bit of a lol at the cereal killin' as opposed to serial killin' which is proper.

I'm having a Green Jello moment, what can I say?

"Toucan, son of Sam...Toucan, son of Sam...Toucan, son of Sah-ham...SNAP! CRACKLE! POP!"

(If no one knows it's a silly band/song from the 90's.)

Have a nice day, ya'll!
Don't tell anyone... but I kill cereal every morning. Quite tasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats