Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 07:50 PM

41 posts, read 32,688 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I haven't been here in awhile but I'm glad that you're all here. I had posted recently about my cat Scootie and dealing with her having cancer. Well, God love her, she's still here and I'm so happy that she is, but recently she vomited several days in a row and refused to eat for a few days. The vet says that that this starts happening, it's usually a sign that things are on the downward spiral, and I just keep looking at her and holding her like it's going to be the last time I'll ever get to do those things. I've known that the day would be coming ever since her diagnosis back in March, but even though I've worried about her before, she always seemed to bounce back. She's actually lived six months longer than they predicted, and I'm so happy for the extra time. But I can see that things are changing with my little girl, and It's breaking my heart. One day soon it's going to be "the" day, and boy I'm not looking forward to it. : (

I think that since my other cat Jasper lived to be 21 years old, that my Scootie might do the same, but 15 years is a long time and I need to be grateful for the time we have had.

Anyway, if guys would please pray for my girl and for me, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much.

Tracy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 11:38 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,822,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnsky38 View Post
Anyway, if guys would please pray for my girl and for me, I'd really appreciate it.
I'm a guy, and I certainly will.
My "Weasie" was stricken by liver cancer at about the same time as her 19th approximate birthday, during the mid-summer of 2011. Because of her feisty, outspoken ways, the vet legitimately didn't believe she was terminally ill at first despite significant weight loss. Although her "numbers" were only slightly elevated, he prescribed varying doses of thyroid medications for a couple of months before ultimately ordering the fateful X-rays. Diagnosis wasn't made until between Christmas and New Year's. But when you coexist with any living being for long enough you "just know" what's really going on. All of this is to impart that I had lots of "blue" days, and even a few with downright grieving, well ahead of Weasie's dying day in January of '12. So think nothing of feeling down and believing your mood will be projected. It will be, but the cat is also downhearted and fearful over what all this means. Just like all the good times, the bad times are meant to be shared in full too. I know Weasie thought no less of me for occasionally being a sobbing choked-up mess as I held her in my lap and apologized that I couldn't make things better. She likely had a sense of reassurance that her condition was upsetting to me as well.
I continued to take care of me during those final months, proceeding with any travel plans that had been made (even being away for the New Year's weekend.) This is essential to remember. You're not doing Scootie any favors by forgoing pleasures - she's had plenty of experience with your being absent over the past 15 years, I'm sure. If it's at all possible, though, clear your calendar of everything - even work - for at least a day when the end draws near. The day before I took Weasie to the vet for the last time, I did just that. We snoozed and schmoozed for hours - she even mightily rose to the occasion by not once vocalizing, after having spent several days alternating between moping and wailing. The telepathy was crystal clear. "I know, you know, I know that you know, you know that I know..."
Take the best of care.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:13 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,008,518 times
Quote:
Anyway, if guys would please pray for my girl and for me, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much.

Tracy
I am a mother of 4 mean cats. I feel your pain. I lost one can in my teen age due to some illness I cannot remember what was it but I remember the cat everyday. my prayers are coming your way.Take care!

Old 10-10-2014, 07:55 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,918,919 times
I'm so sorry. Treasure every moment, as I'm sure you already are. We had to make that decision a few months ago and it was agonizing. She'll let you know. I never believed that until I saw it for myself in Tucker's eyes, but it's true.

Sending hugs.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:26 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,416,292 times
I'm very sorry to hear this. You're both in my prayers. Thanks for updating us about Scootie.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:11 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,356,985 times
My old man Stormy (17 yrs) has reduced kidney function, so I know I will be where you are sometime in the not too distant future. He has become very clingy for attention, and I make sure to give him all the loving he needs... no matter what. I'm sure you're doing the same for Scootie. So very sorry to hear his time is short.

Thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:20 PM

41 posts, read 32,688 times
Thank you so much you guys. I know that you all really understand and that means a lot to me right now. I'm going to take her to the vet on Monday for a checkup, but the vet was pretty honest about the fact that this visit might be her last one, depending on how she's doing.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers and know that all of you and your babies are in mine now too.

Hugs,
Tracy

Old 10-16-2014, 01:28 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,918,919 times
Quote:
Thank you so much you guys. I know that you all really understand and that means a lot to me right now. I'm going to take her to the vet on Monday for a checkup, but the vet was pretty honest about the fact that this visit might be her last one, depending on how she's doing.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers and know that all of you and your babies are in mine now too.

Hugs,
Tracy
I'm sorry. Spoil her this weekend. I started a "bucket list" when Tucker was dying and bought his favorite things. It made me feel like I was doing "something," even if he took just one bite.

Hugs to you.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:16 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,822,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I'm sorry. Spoil her this weekend. I started a "bucket list" when Tucker was dying and bought his favorite things. It made me feel like I was doing "something," even if he took just one bite.
Hear hear! I'd always been diligent about rationing Weasie's treats ("If I gave you something special to eat every day it wouldn't be a treat any more.") One day as the end neared, I laughed in spite of myself when she started up the familiar begging - all it ever took was opening the silverware drawer, since that meant I could be retrieving a spoon to scoop out something yummy from a can. Two days had passed at most since she'd last been indulged. But this time I happily capitulated: "What difference will it make? You're gonna die anyway!"
In fact, Weasie's very last food was mostly of the treat variety. Only recently, after 19 years, had she developed a taste for white cheddar cheese - specifically. I'd been accounting for this by having a few slices for her added at the deli counter. By the morning of her euthanasia her appetite had dwindled to almost nil. Despite that, I pulled the open can of cat food from the fridge along with a slice of white cheddar. I broke up the cheese into manageable tidbits, eating most of the slice myself while she gamely took in the nibbles. With one finger I scooped a tiny quantity of canned food. Her final meal was 6-8 morsels of white cheddar cheese, and a couple of licks from the canned-fooded finger. It was only right that she go out pampered.

As painful and difficult as it is to contemplate, try to take care of "pre-need" arrangements. The clinic staff should be able to assist with this process. I'll always be glad that I went over the decision of remains disposal ahead of time and had payment arrangements in place, not that it ended up being terribly expensive (<$150.) That translated into being able to be present with Weasie that much more - my mind wasn't occupied with what would happen next.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:34 PM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
I'm so sorry Scootie is failing. Spoil her rotten on the days she has left. And give her a scritch under the chin for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats