Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 12:14 PM

4,289 posts, read 3,990,915 times

Advertisements

I am quiet not sure where this post should be on cats or dogs, this is about a dog but I do have cats so..

Some close friends needs to go to Singapore for an Emergency. They should take the flight tomorrow night. And they do have a German shepherd dog, but I do have 4 cats. I could not say no to them as they have called for a family emergency. and they are always there for me so I thought it is my chance to be there for them.. I wish I had some practice time with Rod.. I know the dog. But at their place. Tomorrow morning they bring big bags of dog food, enough for two weeks. they say they come back in two weeks. Now I am bit nervous as I have cats,
IS there any tips for me please? What ever you think would help for me please do so.
Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 12:27 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,354,957 times
Do you have enough room to keep the dog separate? I have 2 pit bulls and 3 cats, and they are all fine. But I wouldn't take a large dog in without knowing I could keep them apart when needed. It takes time to settle many dogs in with cats, and it's not worth it even to work on it when the dog will only be there for 2 weeks. If you don't have the extra room, is there any way you could watch the dog at their house, going over to feed him, let him out or walk him, and just give him some companionship for awhile each day?

Old 10-10-2014, 01:36 PM

I have a big house with garden. And I have a guest room too,, to go there take me 40 min driving time, I am not interested in doing that, I thought of letting dog to be in the guest room. He is not a naughty boy but he will stressed too with out loving ones who he was always.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:41 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,596,871 times
You're going to be bringing the dog into the cats house....
I'm betting that they'll all get along just fine. The dog will know (or be quickly told by a keen swat on the nose) that the cats in the house rule the house, and that he's their guest.

Dog's are smart... he'll mind his p's and q's (do you know what that stands for?) and get along fine.

(P's and Q's is a term from England referring to those that went out drinking... Mind your Pints and Quarts)... more useless information posted here just because I knew it in attempt to let someone who didn't know it, know it....

We now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast.....

Old 10-10-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
I'm betting that they'll all get along just fine. The dog will know (or be quickly told by a keen swat on the nose) that the cats in the house rule the house, and that he's their guest.

Dog's are smart... he'll mind his p's and q's (do you know what that stands for?) and get along fine.

(P's and Q's is a term from England referring to those that went out drinking... Mind your Pints and Quarts)... more useless information posted here just because I knew it in attempt to let someone who didn't know it, know it....

Rod is quiet good guy. Only thing I worry about if he going to bark when he see cats. yes p's and q's know very well. I had dogs my self too but not since I moved to EU also not with cats

Old 10-10-2014, 01:58 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,718,550 times
Quote:

Maybe. I really, really hope this is the case but you never know. For some dogs a swat on the nose will only make them mad and amp up their aggression. I also don't think the location will make any difference if the dog does not like cats to start with. It really depends on the dog and how much prey drive they have.

I'd be very cautious about letting them together unless you know he gets along fine with cats. One other cautionary note if your cats go outside - he may be fine with cats in the house but cats outdoors is totally different and he may not be fine with them in an outdoor setting at all.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:06 PM

I just got the call they bring the dog now. They want to leave in peace full mind with knowing me and their doggy doing fine so they want to hear if everything went good or not before they leave. yeah cats gals doggy boy coming,

Old 10-10-2014, 07:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,687,327 times
I'm glad they're giving you extra time to adjust. Let us know what HAPPENS!

Old 10-10-2014, 07:18 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,623,306 times
Quote:

I've heard that expression my entire life, which is a loooog time, and never knew where it came from.
I am now fulfilled and I owe it all to you...

Old 10-11-2014, 12:06 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,905,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
I am quiet not sure where this post should be on cats or dogs, this is about a dog but I do have cats so..

Some close friends needs to go to Singapore for an Emergency. They should take the flight tomorrow night. And they do have a German shepherd dog, but I do have 4 cats. I could not say no to them as they have called for a family emergency. and they are always there for me so I thought it is my chance to be there for them.. I wish I had some practice time with Rod.. I know the dog. But at their place. Tomorrow morning they bring big bags of dog food, enough for two weeks. they say they come back in two weeks. Now I am bit nervous as I have cats,
IS there any tips for me please? What ever you think would help for me please do so.
Thank you in advance!
Sorry but I would not consider bringing a dog into the house unless they and the cats know and like each other. Tragic deaths of cats have occurred under these conditions. If they are truly your friends they would not expect YOU to take the dog. They would board it somewhere or find someone without cats.

DO NOT TAKE THE DOG unless you can keep it separate from your cats at all times with no slip-ups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats