Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 08:47 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times

Advertisements

Great news Hopes! Please let us know how things go after she's released. Newspaper - geez. Although one can be thankful the facility will do the process, sounds like they have some things to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 10:11 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
I would think you would be fine releasing her early as you plan, as long as there isn't any post-op infection. Do a final check of her incision if you can, and if it looks ok let her go.
My other concern would be will she go back and reunite/feed her kitten(?). Might keep an eye on her of you can to see if she does. If you have to leave food out for the kitten, put it out in morning. Raccoons are normally nocturnal (unless sick), and probably won't be raiding the kittens' food bowl during the day.
Good luck with mamma kitty.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:23 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,029 times
Great work Hopes!

Old 10-15-2014, 11:37 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I released her under my neighbor's porch where the neighbor saw her kitten last night.

There as no way to check her incision. Fingers crossed she survived.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:59 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
The life of a feral cat is always precarious, but I think she'll be fine. Hoping the kitten turns up soon!

Old 10-15-2014, 12:55 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I released her under my neighbor's porch where the neighbor saw her kitten last night.

There as no way to check her incision. Fingers crossed she survived.
I am sure she will be ok. When I trapped a feral female, I kept her overnight in a large crate with a pile of wet food. Early the next morning, I released her and after a few days, she reappeared and was just fine.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:50 PM

I'm glad to hear that. She hates me. You should have seen her glare at me with those bright green eyes from under my neighbor's porch as she watched me walk away after I released her. I have no doubt she took off because she doesn't feel safe there due to being trapped nearby and my knowing where she went. I'd like to think she's smart enough to realize I was FEEDING her while she was in captivity and I was the person who RELEASED her where she last saw her kitten. Is that asking too much of the feline intellect? She never did try to attack me though.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:11 PM

I saw her. She was waiting at the neighbor's at feeding time but keeping a distance from the other cats. She was sort of going nuts, like something was bothering her and she was licking her back sides and then between her legs. I hope she's not getting an infection.

I went outside to put a can of wet food at my other neighbor's house (where she has been staying under the porch) so she could feed away from the other cats. She saw me and started to run. Then she realized it was me and froze. She didn't realize I took food down there, since she didn't go there. She was at the top of the concrete stairs for the feral feeders house so I walked outside and put food at the bottom landing of the stairs. She watched me instead of running away. When I went back into my house, she went down and ate it. Then she went back to her place at the other neighbor's porch and I saw her eating the canned.

Hopefully she will be okay. No idea if the baby is alive because it's very rare when we see it. Time will tell.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:45 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I saw her. She was waiting at the neighbor's at feeding time but keeping a distance from the other cats. She was sort of going nuts, like something was bothering her and she was licking her back sides and then between her legs. I hope she's not getting an infection.

I went outside to put a can of wet food at my other neighbor's house (where she has been staying under the porch) so she could feed away from the other cats. She saw me and started to run. Then she realized it was me and froze. She didn't realize I took food down there, since she didn't go there. She was at the top of the concrete stairs for the feral feeders house so I walked outside and put food at the bottom landing of the stairs. She watched me instead of running away. When I went back into my house, she went down and ate it. Then she went back to her place at the other neighbor's porch and I saw her eating the canned.

Hopefully she will be okay. No idea if the baby is alive because it's very rare when we see it. Time will tell.
Not necessarily an infection. Could be normal itching/discomfort from the stitches (staples?). A few of of our cats did a little of that after their surgeries, but were ok.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:38 PM

Oh, no! She has been sleeping on my neighbor's trampoline for the past couple of hours. She turned around from since I saw her two hours ago, but she didn't run off when my neighbor went through the yard with his children. I went as close as I could to the fence and it looks like she's breathing. I didn't want to say anything so she could get sleep if she's just worn out. Now I'm just super worried to see her moving. I want to go to her, but I know that will make her feel she needs to find a safer place so I'm keeping my distance. Geeze, this is super hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats