Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 07:12 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,008,518 times

Advertisements

so cute!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 03:11 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,632,606 times
That is silly!

We have upright high efficiency washer and dryer (they came with the house) and when I go to switch the loads, Nimbus likes to investigate...of course he loves to investigate my activities and supervise my chores in general. But he'll put his front paws on the threshold of the open "drum" and peer inside just to make sure everything is on the up and up. I mustn't use the facilities until they have passed his inspection.

What he really loves is watching me do the dishes.

But he is no fan of the vacuum cleaner...

Old 10-20-2014, 06:29 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,356,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I was talking about Hopes!
Sorry... had a senior moment (again).

Old 10-20-2014, 07:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Sorry... had a senior moment (again).
I thought she was talking about you too! It was funny because you already have enough trouble doing your own laundry! Bobbles just likes to supervise water. Any water. Flush the toilet, she's there. Start the washing machine, she's there. Bathtub, yep, she's there too. The only water she's not interested in is sink water, but she hasn't figured out how to get on the counters. Thank goodness for small miracles.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I thought she was talking about you too! It was funny because you already have enough trouble doing your own laundry! Bobbles just likes to supervise water. Any water. Flush the toilet, she's there. Start the washing machine, she's there. Bathtub, yep, she's there too. The only water she's not interested in is sink water, but she hasn't figured out how to get on the counters. Thank goodness for small miracles.
I hope your luck holds out in that regard. Around my house, the cats think the 'stay off the counter rule' only applies to the resident human, not them.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:32 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,632,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I hope your luck holds out in that regard. Around my house, the cats think the 'stay off the counter rule' only applies to the resident human, not them.
I only worry about trying to keep Nimbus off the counters when I'm actually preparing food. Mainly because if the stove is on, the notion of open flame + fluffy cat scares me. Of course it's an added bonus to try and keep him out of my food...

One night though, I did what I never do, I was seriously exhausted after a day of overtime and difficult clients...I went and sat down in a comfy chair and left a big pot of soup on a low simmer on the stove. Well, some hours later I realized that Nimbus was acting freaked out. Lurking in cat-loaf position underneath tables and stuff, which he doesn't usually do unless he's upset or afraid. I fetched him out and gave him snuggles and only then realized that half of his whiskers were singed right off, and the fur on one side of his face was singed a little. I examined him thoroughly, thankfully he was not actually hurt and there were no other spots...just a little burnt hair (not even burnt down to the skin.) But I'm sure it scared him quite badly. I felt like such a horrible cat mama. He could have really been hurt!

Never again do I leave the stove on unattended...

Old 10-21-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I only worry about trying to keep Nimbus off the counters when I'm actually preparing food. Mainly because if the stove is on, the notion of open flame + fluffy cat scares me. Of course it's an added bonus to try and keep him out of my food...

One night though, I did what I never do, I was seriously exhausted after a day of overtime and difficult clients...I went and sat down in a comfy chair and left a big pot of soup on a low simmer on the stove. Well, some hours later I realized that Nimbus was acting freaked out. Lurking in cat-loaf position underneath tables and stuff, which he doesn't usually do unless he's upset or afraid. I fetched him out and gave him snuggles and only then realized that half of his whiskers were singed right off, and the fur on one side of his face was singed a little. I examined him thoroughly, thankfully he was not actually hurt and there were no other spots...just a little burnt hair (not even burnt down to the skin.) But I'm sure it scared him quite badly. I felt like such a horrible cat mama. He could have really been hurt!

Never again do I leave the stove on unattended...
Yeah, that's a good habit to get into. My sister and her partner took in a homeless kitty in 2003. When Saba got old enough, she started jumping up on the kitchen counters. They didn't really have a problem with it, except for the stove... which was electric. They bought some metal grill covers to keep the burners covered, and put them in place as soon as the burners are turned off, or when not in use. Actually a good idea for gas stoves too.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:58 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,416,292 times
When my older boy was a kitten, he managed to jump up on the gas stove and hit the know so that the flame came on. After that I kept the knobs in a drawer next to the stove, until he was about a year old.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Bobbles figured out that my tossing treats on the kitchen floor was to lure her out of the basement. I had a difficult time getting her out of the basemen for a few nights. Last night, I tossed the treats all the way across the floor. When she went over, I headed for the basement door to close it and she SUDDENLY tried to beat me to the basement door without eating her treat.

I have a new strategy today. It's the Ignore Bobbles strategy. Every time I'm in the basement, I pretend I don't see her. When I open the basement door and she's sitting there, I act like I don't see her. (She'll sit there and sit there not coming out!) If she "knocks" on the door to be let out, I'll open it and wait three seconds. If she doesn't come out, I close it again. This method has helped with the indecisive standing. I'm hoping my new Ignore Bobbles strategy works as well.

Since she has a litter box down there, I should just leave her in the basement all night. It makes me crazy because I don't want her to become a basement dweller who rarely comes out of the basement.

Speaking of Bobbles, I saw her TWIN today in the other side of the neighborhood where I found her. It is clearly a sibling of hers from the same litter. It looks JUST LIKE BOBBLES!

Old 10-21-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Bobbles figured out that my tossing treats on the kitchen floor was to lure her out of the basement. I had a difficult time getting her out of the basemen for a few nights. Last night, I tossed the treats all the way across the floor. When she went over, I headed for the basement door to close it and she SUDDENLY tried to beat me to the basement door without eating her treat.

I have a new strategy today. It's the Ignore Bobbles strategy. Every time I'm in the basement, I pretend I don't see her. When I open the basement door and she's sitting there, I act like I don't see her. (She'll sit there and sit there not coming out!) If she "knocks" on the door to be let out, I'll open it and wait three seconds. If she doesn't come out, I close it again. This method has helped with the indecisive standing. I'm hoping my new Ignore Bobbles strategy works as well.

Since she has a litter box down there, I should just leave her in the basement all night. It makes me crazy because I don't want her to become a basement dweller who rarely comes out of the basement.

Speaking of Bobbles, I saw her TWIN today in the other side of the neighborhood where I found her. It is clearly a sibling of hers from the same litter. It looks JUST LIKE BOBBLES!
Your relationship with Bobbles is always interesting & entertaining . Let us know if your new strategy works.
I have to say that most of my attempts at any sort of strategy regarding my cats has either not worked at all, or was successful but with unintended consequences. But it's mostly my fault and lack of willpower that I usually fail in getting my cats to do what I want them to do (or not do). It's much easier to just give up and let them run the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats