Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 01:54 AM

733 posts, read 1,750,171 times

Advertisements

I know this is something that every cat owner deals with, but I'm wanting to see if I have anything to worry about. For about the past two months, my cat has started meowing quite often. She is fixed. She has been eating and drinking just fine. She's been using her litter box just fine. She also goes through the entire night without meowing and doesn't wake me at all. When we are playing, she doesn't meow at all. She'll run all over the place to chase her toys and even run to the top of the cat tree at full speed, so she doesn't appear to be in pain. She also doesn't appear to have any issues while sleeping. Typically, if I work the night shift, I hardly have time to play with her that day, then when I work the morning shift, I prefer to just relax in the chair or go into town to do some walking. I've had her for about a year. She's about a year and a half old. Could she finally be telling me that she's getting older and having a harder time entertaining herself and wants more attention? Or could she still have a medical issue despite acting normal aside from the meowing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 07:43 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,925,154 times
Fascinating! You've done a good job putting on the detective's hat!

Can you describe the kind of meowing that's "new"? Is it loud/soft, low-pitch/high-pitch, short or long in duration? Does it sound the same or different than the usual meowing she did before becoming more vocal?

Where is she when doing this "new" meowing and what's her body position? Is she sitting in front of you staring at you, laying down either looking at you or at something else, or wandering around the room somewhat aimlessly, or in another room? Take a look at her tail -- is it straight up and curved at the tip or is it stiffly horizonal? Is it horizontal but relaxed in a smile-like curve? Is it hanging down and hitting the ground? Are her ears upright and pointed forward, or contantly moving to catch sounds, or less upright and sort of pointed to 2 and 10 o'clock?

"Detective-ing" some of these things might help figure this out. It could be something specific or something medical or just an "age" thing (moving out of the young "teenage" years into young adulthood). It could even be a learned behavior - an association with something you innocently did when she was meowing two months ago which resulted in some sort of warm-fuzzy has now become a behavior to recapture that warm-fuzzy.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:12 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,350,998 times
I'm sure she does want more attention. That's the reason mine meow at me most of the time. Cats do want you to play with them, pet them, etc. Some people think of them as solitary animals, but that's not the case. She needs you to make some time for her.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:18 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,925,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I'm sure she does want more attention. That's the reason mine meow at me most of the time. Cats do want you to play with them, pet them, etc. Some people think of them as solitary animals, but that's not the case. She needs you to make some time for her.
Basic natural instinct is to be solitary, but you're so right subject2change that many domestic cats have adapted to enjoy and crave relationships. bkern1989, that's my gut feeling about your meowing kitty.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:47 AM

151 posts, read 182,885 times
Yes!

I suggest you get a second cat. (Either that or lock yourself in the house for about a year without any other human contact, and see how it feels.)

NOTE: Posted by someone with 7 adorable and very affectionate cats. I didn't want 7 cats; but, they got dumped on our farm; the shelter wouldn't take them; and they, all, needed medical attention. So, not being any sort of believer in mere circumstance, ....... guess who got elected to care for them!

Anyway, after I paid for the first one to be spayed and vaccinated; there was no way I was going to just give her away without getting every penny of my money back. I'm like that; and, after our Dachshund unexpectedly passed away, this little feline became my constant (actually rather vocal) companion. She seems to understand that I am vocal, and actively seeks to mimic me and draw my attention. So everything has a way of working out!

Another cat will help your cat to avoid boredom; and give her a soul mate for added comfort.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:03 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,350,998 times
Another cat may or may not help. I have 3, and they all still ask for attention from me. The female doesn't like the boys, and the boys are OK with each other, but don't interact all that much. In my case, 3 cats means 3 times the meowing! But if your cat did take to another young, playful cat, that would be nice for her during the hours you're at work. The problem is that with cats, you just never know how they'll react to new cats in the house. If you do think you'd like to get another, I'd say the sooner the better, while she's young and less set in her ways.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:29 AM

18,432 posts, read 34,238,054 times
Both of my cats usually meow when they want something. Whether it be to be fed or love. I notice that sometimes they are more vocal than others, however, but just the same, it is usually attention they are wanting.

I think sometimes they just like a conversation! I can talk to them and they will hold a little kitty convo with me!

Old 10-19-2014, 10:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,670,068 times
Bobbles went through a very loud excessive meowing phase until she threw up a huge hairball. It didn't last two months though. Otherwise, she's more vocal when she's bored, and it sounds like that's what is happening with your cat.

If I wear her out by playing with her, she'll be content for a while. She's about the same age as yours. She doesn't need constant play. A good running around until she's out of breath twice a day seems to be what she needs.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:39 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,551,268 times
OP, why not ask her what she wants?

Sometimes I can tell by the tone. There is a difference between the meow I hear when there is a neighbor's cat on the porch and the one I hear when she wakes up and wonders where I am. The latter is more high-pitched. I answer, "I'm in the _____" (wherever I am) and she stops meowing and comes to me.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:54 PM

733 posts, read 1,750,171 times
It's definitely a loud, more high pitched meow. Kinda like a kid when they don't get the toy they wanted. They make sure to let you know how annoyed they are. As for when she does it, it's both when she's walking around and when she's just sitting on the floor starring at me. Often, if I don't respond, she'll walk up to the furniture and start scratching at it because she knows I'll respond to that. Now, she's just laying on the stool starring out the window. completely quiet. Since everything else seems normal and she has no problem running around and playing rough, I'll just assume for now that she wants attention. Anytime that I should start to get concerned and take her to the vet? I'm a bit hesitant to do that mainly because I took a previous cat to the emergency vet for a completely different reason in which nothing ended up being wrong and I ended up wasting $90.

As for getting another cat, I'm also a bit hesitant. I've heard that cats are territorial and each one prefers to have their own area. I live in a small apartment and I feel there's not enough room for more than one cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats