Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 08:14 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times

Advertisements

I had no idea that Petco owned F&S. I'm disappointed they're closing, as I use them for pet prescriptions.

https://www.wsaw.com/content/news/Rh...0HsAfIYh9YbKUw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 09:22 AM

2,740 posts, read 1,335,417 times
I had no idea either. I'll use chewy for pet prescriptions now.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:15 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Why can't you get pet prescriptions from your veterinarian ? are they way overpriced ? Hmmm, I'd have a serious talk with my vet about that. So far, been lucky I suppose.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:56 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Why can't you get pet prescriptions from your veterinarian ? are they way overpriced ? Hmmm, I'd have a serious talk with my vet about that. So far, been lucky I suppose.
Several of our Benny's medications are human, so I get those filled at Costco. The one pet-based supplement (Adequan, an injectable) is about half the price at Foster & Smith compared to my vet's office. My vet has no problem giving me a paper prescription that I then mail to F&S.

I didn't know that Chewy filled medications--I'll have to check into that.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:00 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Didn't know either about Chewy having a medications option. Must be by prescription only then.
It is a shame that vets charge so much for meds ! sometimes I think they have no $ mercy on the 'parents' of their patients. I would think that the pet stores, like PetCo had a huge liability for being able to fill scrips.
How about PetSmart ? don't most of them have a vet that works on site. Could be an option.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:14 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I had no idea that Petco owned F&S. I'm disappointed they're closing, as I use them for pet prescriptions.

https://www.wsaw.com/content/news/Rh...0HsAfIYh9YbKUw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraction View Post
I had no idea either. I'll use chewy for pet prescriptions now.

If it matters to you, be aware that Chewy is owned by PetSmart.

That's too bad about F & S though. They've been around a long long time. Thanks for the info Rene.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Didn't know either about Chewy having a medications option. Must be by prescription only then.
It is a shame that vets charge so much for meds ! sometimes I think they have no $ mercy on the 'parents' of their patients. I would think that the pet stores, like PetCo had a huge liability for being able to fill scrips.
How about PetSmart ? don't most of them have a vet that works on site. Could be an option.

Chewy has some prescription options

https://www.chewy.com/b/medications-2519

Petco apparently does too:

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...y/pet-pharmacy

Many vets no longer carry a large supply of medications, especially controlled substances.. It's expensive to do so. Even keeping a little on hand just in case, a med not often used will expire and can't be used. That can be a lot of loss. Which is why they are so expensive to the consumer.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:59 PM

294 posts, read 180,025 times
For compounded Prednisolone dermal 3mg 60 days I payed via my vets contracted online pharmacy 73 USD! And it took 5 days to get it. I asked the vet several times to call into the local compounding pharmacy around the corner from my workolace (they also do it for animals) but the vet ignored my request and send to his online pharmacy. Would have been much cheaper and faster.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:12 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiemohro View Post
For compounded Prednisolone dermal 3mg 60 days I payed via my vets contracted online pharmacy 73 USD! And it took 5 days to get it. I asked the vet several times to call into the local compounding pharmacy around the corner from my workolace (they also do it for animals) but the vet ignored my request and send to his online pharmacy. Would have been much cheaper and faster.
You know why he did that don't you? Because he most likely gets a financial gain/kickback from directing all his scripts to that pharmacy. If that's the case, the your vet cares more about profit than helping the client. You might want to look for another vet. I would if it were me.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
You know why he did that don't you? Because he most likely gets a financial gain/kickback from directing all his scripts to that pharmacy. If that's the case, the your vet cares more about profit than helping the client. You might want to look for another vet. I would if it were me.

I agree. My vet (well, the tech did the 'leg work') went out of her way to find me a compounding pharmacy, when I didn't like the product from the pharmacy they recommended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats