Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 09:44 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,305,051 times

Advertisements

I have two unrelated male cats who are 16 & 17. The 16 year old is doing really well for his age, and while the 17 year old does have some kidney issues and is definitely older, overall he's doing pretty well (decent appetite, etc.). I have had them both for about 14 years.

A feel guilty admitting this, but I haven't really wanted them for about the past 5 years or so. I have taken good care of them because I feel obligated to, and because they're great cats for the most part, but that's really the only reason. I'm sure I'll miss them after they're gone, but at the same time I'll be glad because I'll be able to make some changes I've wanted to make for awhile.

Is or has anyone else been in a similar situation? I think the reason I feel this way now is because in many respects I was a very different person 14 years ago (age 30) than I am now. At that time cats served as a substitute for people, but after spending 14 years with them I realize they aren't people - not by a long shot.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:49 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,845 times
No...I can't imagine this. :/

Old 02-05-2015, 12:33 AM

30,540 posts, read 16,231,137 times
no, they're not people. But you made a committment to them 14 yrs ago. Please don't back out of that now, when they really need you.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:53 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,845 times
No...they aren't people. I think my cats are cooler than most people lol. :P

Old 02-05-2015, 01:00 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
They're old and it would be a great cruelty to take their home from them. You make a commitment to your pet and you should hold to it. When they go if you don't want another cat then don't get one, but I think you owe these two a comfortable end.

Maybe they aren't people but neither are they disposable.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:25 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,771,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
I have two unrelated male cats who are 16 & 17. The 16 year old is doing really well for his age, and while the 17 year old does have some kidney issues and is definitely older, overall he's doing pretty well (decent appetite, etc.). I have had them both for about 14 years.

A feel guilty admitting this, but I haven't really wanted them for about the past 5 years or so. I have taken good care of them because I feel obligated to, and because they're great cats for the most part, but that's really the only reason. I'm sure I'll miss them after they're gone, but at the same time I'll be glad because I'll be able to make some changes I've wanted to make for awhile.

Is or has anyone else been in a similar situation? I think the reason I feel this way now is because in many respects I was a very different person 14 years ago (age 30) than I am now. At that time cats served as a substitute for people, but after spending 14 years with them I realize they aren't people - not by a long shot.
I'm understand, I think, some of what you're experiencing, though I have a different circumstance. I rescued Fiona 2 years ago; she's a senior cat whom the vet says is at least 13 years old, possibly older. I love her, yet in these last years I've become ill and it's harder and harder for me to care for her. I've begun to look for someone who can take over her care, though it will break my heart when it comes to that point.

That's what I'd do if I were you...start looking for a new Forever Home for them.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:29 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,832 times
I am saddened to read this post.

Cannot imagine having so little attachment to a beloved pet that's been in my home as long as your two cats have been in yours. We have 7 cats, the oldest two are turning 12 this year, and we love them all so much!!

I'm not really sure your cats deserve to be in home they're no longer wanted. They deserve to be loved and cherished, and even more so now that they're senior citizens who need an owner that is willing to care for their special needs.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:20 AM

353 posts, read 604,859 times
Cheer up, they're old and they'll die soon. (Am I a terrible person for hoping that you someday have kids who feel the same way about you?)

Old 02-05-2015, 06:07 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
There isn't any reason you can't have people in your life and take responsibility for your cats too. Cats have emotions just like people. They are attached to you and each other and their home. As another poster said, when they die, don't have pets. But you owe these two a comfortable senior life.

I pray this is a wind up.

Last edited by catsmom21; 02-05-2015 at 06:16 AM..

Old 02-05-2015, 06:22 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post

Hang in there, you will be glad you did. Time flies. I have lots of animals, but will not take in any more. It will probably be at least ten years before the last one crosses the bridge, but before then they have a home here.

Is there someone in your life that is forcing this decision? Maybe not in words?

Do you want to be able to just leave on vacation without thinking of boarding or the expense? In what ways have you changed.

I was always a cat lover and still have indoor cats, but have grown to love dogs.

If you do decide to find them new homes, look for a reputable rescue that can help. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats