Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 12:04 PM

112 posts, read 301,113 times

Advertisements

So my Coco, our little stray we brought in last summer... One of the things that made us say "that's it, she needs to come inside!" was that she suddenly showed up at our door one day with a scrape on her nose. Well this was at least 6 months ago now and her nose just looks worse and worse! She's been to the vet twice now and both times the doctors said there is nothing they can do about it. It looks like she just has a chunk missing in her nose It used to scab up, then the scab would fall away and be fresh for a bit until it scabbed again. I'd say maybe a month ago it stopped scabbing. And I swear it's slowly getting bigger and deeper.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of something like this?! I am thinking that it could be her FIV? That her immune system is not working and so it's not healing and getting worse? Is her nose just going to disappear? (I've watched too many horror/zombie movies )

Also around the time I noticed it was looking worse, she had a bout of not eating and seeming genearlly sick. We took her to the vet and she did blood work which revealed a high thyroid, but a day or so later her "sickness" disappeared and shortly thereafter we got her eating a new food. She's perfectly normal again now aside from her nose and still drinking more water. We're not really sure if we should start her on thyroid meds at all now! She's got the FIV, a decent heart murmur, a high thyroid, no tail & half a nose! Oh and plenty of sass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 12:49 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,923,274 times
IMO I'd get another opinion. Did your vet send a tissue sample in to the lab to be analyzed?

Many years ago, something similar happened to my grandparent's dog's nose, and it turned out to be skin cancer. I sure hope that's not the case, but it sounds quite similar to what you're describing. :-(

Old 02-06-2015, 01:13 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
IMO I'd get another opinion. Did your vet send a tissue sample in to the lab to be analyzed?

Many years ago, something similar happened to my grandparent's dog's nose, and it turned out to be skin cancer. I sure hope that's not the case, but it sounds quite similar to what you're describing. :-(
That was my first thought too. I'd get a second opinion if possible.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:07 PM

112 posts, read 301,113 times
Oh wow hadn't even thought of that! It was 2 different vets who saw her and neither mentioned that and her blood work didn't raise any alarms in that regard.. but still, I will certainly inquire about that possibility thanks.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:38 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
I'm really guessing here, but could it be some sort of flesh-eating bacterial infection? Is that even possible with cats? I know it is with humans. If not cancer, what else could it be?

Old 02-07-2015, 08:59 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
My cat is currently having high thyroid problems and will have radiation treatment for it later this month. It is nothing to ignor as it is probably contributing to her heart murmur, feeling sick, and will cause weight loss and worse if not treated correctly.

We nearly lost our cat just a few weeks ago because the vet didn't medicate her properly resulting in huge bills at the specialty vet's just to get correct the mistakes. If we had known to go to the specialty vet in the first place, the cat, and our wallet, would be better off. He was able to prioritize and identify her issues and within 24 hours he pulled her back from the brink while the first vet just wanted to put her down.

I also agree with other posters that further testing might be necessary to dianose your cats nose issues.

Best wishes to both of you and keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats