Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 06:04 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times

Advertisements

Feed three meals a day of a good quality high meat content canned food. 2 meals is not enough, 12 hours is too long for a cat to go without food.

Learn to read labels on cat food. You'll be shocked, but you will learn what is better for your cat to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 06:10 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Carbs are bad bad bad for cats. Period. Wet or dry.

You can get low carb wet food at reasonable prices.

Cut out the dry food all together. There is no such thing as low carb dry food......unless you are talking dehydrated raw turkey - which is $$$$$$$$$$$$!

Cats in the wild do not develop diabetes.

Domestic cats do because we humans stuff them with carbs.

Friskies turkey pate is reasonably priced. .99 a 13 oz can at Walmart. 5.5 oz cans are .46.

Roughly 28 calories per ounce. Active cats need about 20 calories per lb of their weight. Couch potatoes about 15 calories per lb. Never go below 150 calories per day.

Warm it up a bit to bring out the aroma.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:37 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
[quote=happypants 3235;38356175]He drinks a lot of water. The problem with Fancy Feast is that the only one he will eat is the one with cheese ("Delights"), either tuna or chicken. I've tried all kinds of canned food--Science Diet, Friskies. Might as well burn money. [quote]

You can slowly transition him to the FF Classics. Start by mixing 1/4 of classic with the Delights and very slowly decrease the amount of Delights you add to the mix. It might take weeks, but it can be done.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:02 AM

268 posts, read 290,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Feed three meals a day of a good quality high meat content canned food. 2 meals is not enough, 12 hours is too long for a cat to go without food.

Learn to read labels on cat food. You'll be shocked, but you will learn what is better for your cat to eat.
I so much appreciate everyone's input. I'm learning a lot!

I would never allow him to go 12 hours without food; I'm sorry if it sounded like I would.

Care to define "high quality meat content canned food?" I've tried other brands, but not with the method indicated on the thread, a bit at a time. I don't think I can fool my rather brilliant minded boy, but I can try.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:52 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,036,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypants 3235 View Post
I so much appreciate everyone's input. I'm learning a lot!

I would never allow him to go 12 hours without food; I'm sorry if it sounded like I would.

Care to define "high quality meat content canned food?" I've tried other brands, but not with the method indicated on the thread, a bit at a time. I don't think I can fool my rather brilliant minded boy, but I can try.
You want to look for canned food that is grain free or very low in carbs. There is no need to spend a fortune on the canned food since you did mention being on a budget. The Fancy Feast classic (pates style) is on the list of foods for diabetic cats. This means it is very low in carbs. The FF won't hurt your wallet either!

Just take your time when transitioning him off the dry to a total wet diet. Like someone else mentioned, mix his favorite wet with the pate a little at a time. Remember to have patience. This can take some time. Some cats have no problems switching foods, others can be finicky. Good luck!

Have you checked out the website that was provided? It is SO full of good information.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:22 PM

20,363 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I know you ruled out anything you have to make yourself...but believe it or not, that's considerably cheaper than canned food. But it's a trade-off....time, or money? Time IS money. You can get ingredients for raw pretty cheap (stuff like turkey thighs, less desirable cuts of meat that are cheaper because people aren't wild about 'em.) But if you ever decide to try it, make sure you use a recipe, they've got a good one at catinfo.org. It's about balancing meat/bone/organ/taurine...and none of it costs a ton of money compared to canned food.

I can't commit to making raw. I don't want to put that kind of time into my cat's feeding. So I spend more and feed him all canned. It's a sad truth, but a truth nonetheless, if you continue with the dry food...sure, you'll save some $$ up front. Dry food is generally more affordable because it's got a lot of cheapo filler in it. But there are some pretty serious health conditions that could result in the long run. You might get lucky and have a cat that doesn't get kidney failure or urinary crystals, but it's about the same as saying how many old people I know who have been smokers all their lives. Quite a few...but that doesn't mean it's OK for your health to do that! And if your cat did develop one of these disorders, you'd be faced with the decision of dumping a LOT of money into vet bills, or losing your cat. These are just the realities you've got to weigh in the decision of what to feed.

Personally, I have zero judgement for someone who takes in a homeless cat and gives it food and love, if they really really can't afford anything but dry food, well. Likely they won't afford the expensive medical treatment if the cat gets a serious health condition, and the cat might not live as long. But! At least that cat is in off the streets, and being loved. 10 good years with a loving home are better than 2 more years of starving and then getting hit by a car or something. Do the best you can. Just don't be taken in by any fancy expensive DRY food...because cheap wet food is better than pricey dry food.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:52 PM

268 posts, read 290,098 times
I've had one cat companion my entire adult life; this one is the third. (And no, I'm not a witch). The prior two died of old age at close to 20 years (both stray adoptions). I think I know what I'm doing by now, in general.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:44 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I agree stopping the free feeding should be your first step. Get your cat used to eating on a schedule, so that he looks forward to feeding time. Then you can start sneaking in the wet food ... when he's hungry.

It took me several months to get my cats to eat wet food. Don't be discouraged if yours doesn't take to it right away. Good luck!

Old 02-12-2015, 01:21 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypants 3235 View Post
I was free feeding "Naturals" in the bathroom, and giving him one can of FF "Delights" in the morning, in the kitchen. The free feeding probably needs to stop. I took the dry food and bowl out of the bathroom (left the cool water). Will continue the morning routine and maybe provide a little dry with it.

I think the free feeding is the problem, but I won't buy that diet food.
Yup, your thinking is correct! By nature cats are not grazers although some develop the habit.

Your final goal should be canned pate grain-free foods. If he likes "Delights", maybe you can start mixing in some pate type to get away, eventually, from the gravy/sauce laden foods.

Good luck! Our kitties and their palates don't always make it easy for us caretakers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats