Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:40 PM

4,889 posts, read 13,852,165 times

Advertisements

This is the latest chapter in the saga of the injured cat and the owner who had him buried - alive:

Florida 'zombie cat' hit with custody motion

Why does so much weird stuff happen in states full of retirees and transplants?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 12:08 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,399,564 times
I don't know about this area in Florida, but in some places if your pet needs medical care that you can't afford, and the animal ends up at a Humane Society, SPCA, etc., you will be asked to sign over ownership of the animal before any care is given. In other words, you can't expect the organization to 'fix' your pet at their expense and then reclaim it at no cost to you. I wonder if that was done in this case (?).
I don't know all the details of this incident, but I tend to think this cat might be better off in another home. Perhaps there are some financial issues (charitable donations ?) fueling this dispute.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:52 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,714,108 times
First I heard that the people were raising money, and the cat would go back to them. Then I saw a slew of posts on FB (shared many times) by the Humane Society saying "Do not give these people money, we are not returning the cat to them, and donations for his care can be sent to us." So...I wonder. Did the Humane Society realize they had a famous "cash cat" on their hands and take steps to be the ones to profit?

Seriously though, Florida is mega crazybats bananaballs land. First they had the bath salts zombie and now the zombie cat. So much weird news out of one state...

Old 02-12-2015, 12:56 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,399,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
First I heard that the people were raising money, and the cat would go back to them. Then I saw a slew of posts on FB (shared many times) by the Humane Society saying "Do not give these people money, we are not returning the cat to them, and donations for his care can be sent to us." So...I wonder. Did the Humane Society realize they had a famous "cash cat" on their hands and take steps to be the ones to profit?

Seriously though, Florida is mega crazybats bananaballs land. First they had the bath salts zombie and now the zombie cat. So much weird news out of one state...
I agree. Warm weather is about all they have going for them IMO. Couldn't pay me enough to live there.
I'll take Tornado Alley any day.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:18 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,043,241 times
Quote:

I would like to believe that the Humane Society is not doing this because they have a famous "cash cat". I really hope not. I mentioned in the other thread about this that I know the "neighbor". I hate to say that she is indeed a relative. I notified the family and NO ONE is surprised by her actions. It was even mentioned by another family member that she or her children probably had something to do with Bart's injuries, especially since one of their cats died the same time as Bart. It disgusts me that she is a relative. The most of us are cat lovers and find her actions disgusting.

I just want to say one thing about all the insulting comments directed at Florida. There are some nice places left that haven't been over run by "crazybats" and transplants. I wish you all could see some of the old time sleepy towns that are left there. That's the Florida I know. I feel like I have to say something since my Mom was a seventh generation Floridian. I feel like I have to defend against some of the comments because I have roots there! I may be half yankee and raised in the north but sometimes I can feel my southern roots tugging, hence the need to defend. Sorry for the mini rant.

I would have never mentioned being related to "her" if not for the fact that she had to go and use her maiden name instead of her married name. I don't know why the dingbat had to go and bring shame to the rest of the family. Ugh.

Last edited by ouijeewoman; 02-12-2015 at 03:30 PM..

Old 02-12-2015, 03:23 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,676,843 times
Quote:

I lived there 4 loooong years. I was constantly hearing about pedophiles, drug dealers and other misfits in that state. Hated the place, like the plague.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:27 PM

11,279 posts, read 19,618,995 times
I am sure I read an article about the "gofundme" page they had up for Bart, and the Humane Society did not receive one penny of that, and thousands of dollars were raised. Not sure I can find the links again, they were posted on an anti-declaw site I am a member of. In my opinion these people are the lowest of low making money and getting their .."fame"..at the expense of a cat they no longer wanted, so buried him, figuring even if he wasn't dead yet, he would be soon. I pray this cat is not returned to those lousy excuses for human beings.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:48 PM

4,889 posts, read 13,852,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
It was even mentioned by another family member that she or her children probably had something to do with Bart's injuries, especially since one of their cats died the same time as Bart.
Last time around I expressed suspicions of animal cruelty, but everybody else was focusing on a far-fetched "hit by the same car" theory. This is what happens in the absence of stringent pet adoption policies. Something tells me that neighbor's cats would be well served by re-homing in addition to poor Bart.

I understand 100% where ouijeewoman is coming from with her defense of the Sunshine State. As a native of Cincinnati with deep family roots in the Carolinas I understand twice over. For both places have their charms and assets, yet the former region all too often is a national joke and the latter is nothing if not overwhelmed by transplants and retirees. But undeniably there's still just something about Florida. From Anthony to Zimmerman with scads of examples in between that can't be gotten around.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:12 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,985,036 times
Quote:
Colorado had Jonbenet's murder, the Aurora theatre shooting and the Columbine high school massacre. If you read the details of those incidents, those were very weird too, especially when Colorado has 1/4 of Florida's population.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:33 AM

20,417 posts, read 14,714,108 times
Yeah I know...

In my own experience there was also the fact that many of the family and friends I've known in FL have struggled with extreme difficulty in finding work, run-ins with the local wildlife (my Mom had a possum stroll right on in and make friends with her cats! Nevermind the BUGS) and my little brother grew up surrounded by drug dealers and getting into trouble... I've just head so many stories either on the news or from people I've known about crazy crisis situations going on in Florida. And then there's the politics.

Sure you could say, well this state has this and that state has that. I get it. Glass houses, stones and all of that. I've lived in 5 states and none of them were perfect. Frankly I'm a little in love with my original home state of Virginia, and it can be a train wreck sometimes, too. How not, that close to DC yet still full of Confederate wannabe's? So yeah. Don't take me too seriously...

goyguy, I lived in Cincinnati for 3 years. Some of the hardest years of my life for sure. Cinci did not do well by us. And I don't like the chili, and people saying "Please?" instead of "What?" is still weird to me. BUT I still tell people about the Labor Day fireworks and get goosebumps, and I still reminisce about concerts at Bogart's and Sudsy Malone's.
EDIT: Forgot to say, I've got some deep family roots in the Carolinas too, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Outer Banks. Hatteras might as well be heaven to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats