Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 02:04 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times

Advertisements

I have to agree with your husband in not responding to her texts. Nothing good can come it, and she may use your texts in some other way (i.e., out of context).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 02:06 PM

436 posts, read 579,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I have to agree with your husband in not responding to her texts. Nothing good can come it, and she may use your texts in some other way (i.e., out of context).
+1

I completely agree, the city is not going to make you return this cat. If she calls the city she will get cited for having too many animals and for not having her animals vaccinated and neutered.

I would definitely keep this precious kitty indoors 100% of the time until nut job moves and tries to snatch your kitty in the process. This is your cat now and I am so happy this kitty has a good home now.

Disengage completely, if you can block her texts do so. Don't answer the door to strangers for the time being as well. You don't want a confrontation on your front porch. Hopefully your problem will move soon and this issue will be over in a few short weeks.

If for some reason the moving statement was a ruse just to get the cat back, you have the city ordinances on your side. Additionally her landlord may not be aware that she has so many cats. I bet it is a lease violation as well.

Last edited by RedTexanTea; 02-24-2015 at 02:24 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 02:44 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
The worst of it is, when they move, they are most likely planning to abandon the 20+ feral cats out there. So yes, I would definitely keep your boy inside, and keep Animal Control aware of what is happening. Keep records of EVERYTHING to do with these people, including texts.

But do not reply to any more of them yourself.

These people sound psychotic. Congratulations on being Chosen. xx (and well done on the rescue/acceptance of being Chosen!)

Old 02-24-2015, 03:17 PM

4 posts, read 6,338 times
Thank you, RedTexanTea, Rene S & catsmom21. Today is the first day in a few days we haven't received a text from her. Although I doubt she is giving up yet, I think it's possible she may have talked to someone else, husband, etc, who reminded her that she has nothing to prove her claim of ownership and perhaps even that she would be risking being fined for several offenses if she tries to claim we stole her cat. The only thing she can prove without a doubt, is that he was born on her front lawn. In snooping into who these people are, I found her FB page (public) which shows a few pics of the many cats, including one of he and his littermates as newborns, in a box obviously outdoors. I found it interesting that none of the 8 or so pics of the many cats showed anyone, not herself, daughter or husband, handling or holding them. Not one. All just pics of cats in the driveway or on the grass. So I guess they really are allergic. I also found and printed a picture/comments of 6 or 7 swarmed around a dish, although my cat wasn't in that picture. But the comment line was pretty telling. Her friends teased her and said, Wow! Are those all your cats? To which she replied, "They were neighborhood strays but then they had kittens, so I feed them all, but I'm still allergic so...IDK" Even though my cat is not in the picture it appears that his mother is, so I thought it might come in handy with that comment line. Also took a picture today of the swarm of cats at the base of her driveway after she dumped out food, just in case they and all the cat beds disappear when animal control comes around, in the event she tries to say he was her only cat, not a stray.
Sigh. All pretty silly, I guess. But I still can't help but fret. It's only been 2 months but we love him so much, and he us. I'm trying to console myself with, even if things go against us, however improbable, and we have to give him up, at least he is microchipped, so he'll never die in a shelter. And he is neutered, so he'll no doubt live a longer, healthier life. Fingers crossed it will be with us.
Thank you again, everyone. We are trying to find homes for some of these strays with friends and family before animal control comes in. Once these folks leave we will rescue the ones we can, but unfortunately our budget only allows for one. I may have a talk with my mail carrier as well to see if she can help find homes. I noticed today that she also dumps food out for them on her route thru the neighborhood - which, in my opinion, is not exactly helping.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:03 PM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Is feeding them helping? Yes and no... Yes, because it's better than them going hungry in the winter, OK sure, but when they are not fixed, well--that's the REAL problem.

Best wishes and good vibes. I hope this neighbor doesn't do anything scary. I hope they just go away, and then the good people of the community (like you!) can do something to help the situation.

Like I said, I really doubt that this person will take you to court. She'd be shooting herself in the foot to even call the police or anything about it. The worst you have to fear is mischief.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:06 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Congratulations on your new addition.

Keep him inside forever and always.

Are there any local TNR groups around you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats